United Nations Office at Nairobi
In November 2004, the United Nations Security Council held a rare session at Nairobi to discuss the takeover of southern and western Sudan. The meeting was convened at the urging of then-Ambassador John Danforth of the United States.
UNON is the UN headquarters in Africa.
The UN Complex at Gigiri contains a 'green' building, a completely energy and carbon-neutral building, housing UNEP and UN-Habitat offices. The building is the first of its kind in Africa, recycling water and using natural light to reduce reliance on artificial lighting. In addition, the building is designed to use natural flow of air as a substitute to air conditioning, and it contains solar panels to generate all the energy that the building would consume. It was opened on 31 March 2011 by former UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-Moon and Kenya's former president Mwai Kibaki.
Headquartered at Nairobi:
Presence at Nairobi:
- Food and Agriculture Organization
- International Civil Aviation Organization
- International Labour Organization
- International Maritime Organization
- International Monetary Fund
- Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS
- United Nations Centre for Regional Development, Africa Office
- UN Women
- United Nations Development Programme
- United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime
- United Nations Educational, Social and Cultural Organization
- United Nations High Commission for Refugees
- United Nations Industrial Development Organization
- United Nations Children's Fund
- United Nations Common Air Services
- United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
- United Nations Office for Project Services
- United Nations Political Office for Somalia
- United Nations Population Fund
- World Bank
- World Food Programme
- World Health Organisation
- "Welcome to the United Nations Office at Nairobi".
- "Security Council Nairobi Meeting Welcomes End of Year Peace Pledge By Parties To Sudan Conflict". Un.org.
-  Archived 13 December 2006 at the Wayback Machine.
- "New UN office in Nairobi is a showcase for sustainability". Greening the Blue.
- www.standardmedia.co.ke (1 April 2011). "Standard Digital News : : Business – New benchmark as UN opens green building in Nairobi". Standardmedia.co.ke. Archived from the original on 4 January 2012. Retrieved 19 August 2013.
- Recio, Eugenia (7 March 2011). "UNEP Showcases New Green Buildings in Nairobi – Climate Change Policy & Practice". Climate-l.iisd.org.
- United Nations Environment Programme: Philippe Pastor
- UN Gigiri Complex Map: http://www.enj.co.ke/un_gigiri_complex
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for United Nations Office at Nairobi.|
- United Nations Office at Nairobi
- Agencies located at the UN Gigiri Complex in Nairobi http://www.enj.co.ke/un_gigiri_complex
|This United Nations-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|