United Nations Security Council Resolution 1957
|UN Security Council
Power plants in Baghdad
|Date||15 December 2010|
|Subject||The situation concerning Iraq|
|15 voted for
None voted against
|Security Council composition|
United Nations Security Council Resolution 1957, adopted unanimously on 15 December 2010, after recognising positive developments in Iraq since the adoption of 661 (1990), the Council lifted sanctions relating to weapons of mass destruction, long-range ballistic missiles, and the acquisition of nuclear weapons.
Resolution 1957, along with resolutions 1956 (2010) and 1958 (2010), ended some major restrictions placed on Iraq. However, demands that Iraq resolve disputes with Kuwait remained. The high-level meeting was chaired by United States Vice President Joe Biden.
In the preamble of the resolution, the Council welcomed a letter by the Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zebari which confirmed the Iraqi government's support for non-proliferation and disarmament regimes. It also welcomed that the International Atomic Energy Agency had reported good co-operation with Iraq, which had become the 186th state to subscribe to the Chemical Weapons Convention and the 131st to sign the International Code of Conduct against Ballistic Missile Proliferation.
Acting under Chapter VII of the United Nations Charter, the Council ended the weapons of mass destruction, missile, and civil nuclear-related measures imposed in resolutions 687 (1991) and 707 (1991). It urged Iraq to ratify the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty and the Additional Protocol to the Comprehensive Safeguards Agreement. The Council stated it would review progress made by Iraq in a year.
- Iraq and weapons of mass destruction
- Iraq War
- List of United Nations Security Council Resolutions 1901 to 2000 (2009–2011)
- Post-invasion Iraq
- United Nations Assistance Mission in Iraq
- "Security Council takes action to end Iraq sanctions, terminate Oil-for-Food Programme as members recognise 'major changes' since 1990". United Nations. 15 December 2010.
- MacFarquhar, Neil (15 December 2010). "Security Council Removes Restrictions on Iraq". The New York Times.
- "UN lifts sanctions against Iraq". BBC News. 15 December 2010.
- Besheer, Margaret (15 December 2010). "UN Security Council Lifts Some Restrictions On Iraq". Voice of America.
- Charbonneau, Louis (15 December 2010). "Iraq gets U.N. green light for civil nuclear program". Reuters.
- Text of the Resolution at undocs.org
- Fact Sheet on United Nations Security Council High-Level Meeting, White House.
|Wikisource has original text related to this article:|