United South High School
|United South High School|
|4001 Ave. Los Presidentes
|School district||United Independent School District|
|NCES District ID||4843650.|
|NCES School ID||484365006922.|
|Grades||9th, 10th, 11th, & 12th|
|Color(s)||Carolina Blue, Silver, & Black|
United South High School is a high school located in the southern portion of Laredo, Texas and is a part of the United Independent School District. It consists of over 40 school organizations, and is home to mostly students with a Hispanic ethnicity. There is a no-bullying tolerance in the school, and the U.I.S.D dress code is strictly enforced. The school tries to involve as many inspirational activities as they can for the alumni of United South, including the Men's and Women's Youth Conferences, Career Day, and the inviting of special guest speakers from time to time. The school not only offers students with various academic courses (G/T & AP), it is also a college prep school, and even offers education in vocational programs (Construction Technology, Auto Body, Future Farmers of America, and Welding). It's even known for its Academy of Global Business and Advanced Technology. USHS is a growing campus to this present day.
United South High School houses The Academy of Global Business and Advanced Technology, a magnet school focused on business and technology education. This academy is a small section within the school. To be a part of it, students have to take a timed entrance exam. The students can choose technology or business. Technology classes include A+ Certification (sophomores), Internetworking I (juniors), and Internetworking II (seniors). Magnet students are required to graduate on the distinguished plan and must have at least 250 community service hours, 4 measures, and 32 high school credits in order to do so.
United South High School's mascot is the Mighty Panther.
They have had the honor to achieve the following achievements:
- UIL Academic Sweepstakes winners (2014)
- Texas Association of Future Educators (TAFE) advancing to Nationals in Orlando, Florida from The Teach Tomorrow Summit (State Competition) in San Antonio, TX. They came home with (yet again) 2 first place ribbons on the two team events entered, Chapter Yearbook and Project Visualize. Two students placed top five for Promotional Video event and advanced to Nationals in Orlando, Florida along with another student who placed top five in the Keynote Speech event. (February 2013)
- Texas Association of Future Educators's (TAFE) first time in dominating Regional Competition at Brownsville, TX with 6 students placing first and 2 second and third places out of 14 events (having only entered 10 of those). (December 2012)
- Texas Association of Future Educators (TAFE) (for the first time ever) coming home with 2 first place ribbons on the two team events entered, Chapter Yearbook and Project Visualize, at The Teach Tomorrow Summit (State Competition) in San Antonio, TX. (February 2012)
- Boys basketball district champs (2011)
- UIL Spelling to compete at State UIL (2011)
- Varsity Softball makes District 29-5A Playoffs for first time in school history (2011)
- TEA Recognized Campus (2010-2011)
- Panther Band Sweepstakes (2010, 2011, 2013, 2014)
- Silver Steppers win National Champions (2010) at Showtime International
- Gabriel Guzman is the first athlete to make a collegiate football team roster at Southwest Texas State (1996)
- Gabriel Guzman is the first male track athlete to make regionals in school history (1995)
United South High School Official Website
- "Search for Public School Districts – District Detail for United Independent School District". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved Oct 18, 2012.
- "Search for Public Schools - School Detail for United South High". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved Oct 18, 2012.