|• Pinyin||Nuò wéi nà|
|• Tamil romanisation||Novīṇā|
Central Singapore CDC
North West CDC
|• Members of Parliament||
Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC
Holland-Bukit Timah GRC
Jalan Besar GRC
Tanjong Pagar GRC
|• Total||8.98 km2 (3.47 sq mi)|
|• Density||5,344.1/km2 (13,841/sq mi)|
|• Density rank||26th|
|Postal district||8, 11, 12|
Novena (Chinese: 诺维娜 Tamil: நொவீணா) is a planning area located within the Central Region of Singapore. Novena is bounded by Toa Payoh to the north, Bukit Timah to the west, Tanglin to the south and Kallang to the east. While Novena is not classified as a "new town" by the Housing and Development Board (HDB), the estate of Whampoa within the subzone of Balestier constitutes part of the Kallang/Whampoa New Town.
The current premises of the church were owned by a wealthy Chinese businessman, Wee Kah Kiat. The premises were bought over by the Redemptorist priests in 1948 where a small church dedicated to Our Mother of Perpetual Help named the Church of Saint Alphonsus was built in May 1950. According to tradition, the novenas to Our Lady of Perpetual Help began in January 1949 and were heavily publicised and instantaneously became widespread in 1951 as intended by Pope Pius XI.
There are 3 primary schools, 3 secondary schools, a junior college and an international school in the planning area. The offshore campus of Curtin University is located at Balestier.
- Anglo-Chinese School (Primary)
- Balestier Hill Primary School
- St. Joseph's Institution Junior
- Global Indian International School (GIIS), Balestier Campus
- San Yu Adventist School
Central to this area is the Novena Square Shopping Mall, a shopping centre situated directly above the Novena MRT Station. Novena Medical Centre is located at levels 8 to 11 of the Square 2 shopping centre. Next to Novena Square is a sports-themed mall called Velocity. Another shopping centre in Novena is United Square Shopping Mall, a children-oriented mall. Shops located in the Novena area include Starbucks (one in United Square and another in Novena Square), Spinelli, Cold Storage and Harvey Norman. Novena has seen major improvements in terms of new shops opening in the area since Square 2 and Velocity commenced business in recent years.
- "Singapore Infopedia - Development guide plan". National Library Board.
- City Population - statistics, maps and charts | Novena
- "Singapore Residents by Planning Area/Subzone, 2015" (XLS). Singapore Department of Statistics.
- Victor R Savage, Brenda S A Yeoh (2003), Toponymics - A Study of Singapore Street Names, Eastern Universities Press, ISBN 981-210-205-1
- Singapore, National Library Board,. "Joseph Balestier | Infopedia". eresources.nlb.gov.sg. Retrieved 2016-02-19.
- "Novena District Guide". Streetdirectory.com. Retrieved 2015-07-20.