List of ambassadors of the United States to Iraq
|Ambassador of the United States to Iraq
سفارة الولايات المتحدة في جمهورية العراق
Seal of the United States Department of State
|Nominator||The President of the United States|
with Senate advice and consent
|Inaugural holder||Alexander K. Sloan|
as Chargé d'Affaires
|Website||U.S. Embassy – Baghdad|
- Alexander K. Sloan (1931) – Chargé d'Affaires
- Paul Knabenshue (1932–1942) – Minister
- Thomas M. Wilson (1942) – Minister
- Loy W. Henderson (1943–1945) – Minister
- George Wadsworth II (1946–1948) – Minister
- Edward Savage Crocker II (1948) – First ambassador
- Burton Y. Berry (1952–1954)
- Waldemar J. Gallman (1954–1958)
- John D. Jernegan (1958–1962)
- Robert C. Strong (1963–1967)
- Enoch S. Duncan (1967) – Chargé d'Affaires
- David George Newton (1984–1988) – Initially Chargé d'Affaires, then full ambassador
- April Glaspie (1988–1990)
- Joseph C. Wilson (1990–1991) – Chargé d'Affaires until First Gulf War
The American embassy in Baghdad remained closed until 2000 when it was staffed by Japanese diplomats working in proxy with the U.S. No new Ambassador or Chargé d'Affaires was appointed until after the Second Gulf War. However the U.S. Interests Section was opened at the Polish embassy in January, 1991. The Polish embassy represented interests of the U.S. until June 30, 2004.
- Krzysztof Biernacki (1991–2004) – the Director of the U.S. Interests Section at the Polish embassy in Baghdad, Polish diplomat
- John Negroponte (2004–2005) – First post-Second Gulf War ambassador
- Zalmay Khalilzad (2005 – March 2007)
- Ryan Crocker (March 2007 – March 2009) Ambassador Patricia A. Butenis is Chargé d'Affaires, a.i.
- Christopher R. Hill (April 2009 – August 2010)
- James F. Jeffrey (August 2010 – June 2012)
- Robert S. Beecroft (September 2012 – June 2014)
- Stuart E. Jones (June 2014 – 2016)
- Douglas Alan Silliman (2016 – February 2019)
- Joey R. Hood (February 2019 - June 2019) - Chargé d'Affaires
- Matthew H. Tueller (June 2019 - Present)
- Embassy of Iraq, Washington, D.C.
- Embassy of the United States, Baghdad
- Iraq–United States relations
- Foreign relations of Iraq
- Ambassadors of the United States
- "Ambassador Matthew H. Tueller Presents His Ambassadorial Credentials To The Government of Iraq". US Embassy & Consulates in Iraq. Retrieved 13 June 2019.
- "Douglas A. Silliman". US Department of State. Retrieved 25 March 2017.
- United States Department of State: Background notes on Iraq
- This article incorporates public domain material from the United States Department of State website https://www.state.gov/countries-areas/ (U.S. Bilateral Relations Fact Sheets).