United States Attorney for the Eastern District of New York
The United States Attorney for the Eastern District of New York is the chief federal law enforcement officer in five New York counties: Kings (Brooklyn), Queens, Richmond (Staten Island), Nassau and Suffolk. The current interim U.S. Attorney is Richard Donoghue, who replaced acting U.S. Attorney Bridget Rohde on January 4, 2018. The Eastern District was home to Loretta E. Lynch who resigned to take office as U.S. Attorney General on April 27, 2015.
The U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York has jurisdiction over all cases prosecuted and defended by the U.S. Attorney.
The Eastern District of New York was formed by taking away these five counties from the Southern District of New York in 1865.
List of U.S. Attorneys for the Eastern District of New York
- Benjamin D. Silliman: 1865–1866
- Benjamin F. Tracy: 1866–1877
- Asa W. Tenney: 1877–1885
- Mark D. Wilbur: 1885–1889
- Jesse Johnson: 1889–1894
- John Oakey: 1894
- James L. Bennett: 1894–1898
- George H. Pettit: 1898–1902
- William J. Young: 1902–1915
- Louis R. Bick: 1915
- Melville J. France: 1915–1919
- James D. Bell: 1919
- LeRoy W. Ross: 1919–1921
- Wallace E. J. Collins: 1921
- Ralph C. Greene: 1921–1925
- William A. DeGroot: 1925–1929
- Howard W. Ameli: 1929–1934
- Leo J. Hickey: 1934 – Dec. 25, 1937 (died in office)
- Harold St. Leo O'Dougherty (interim): sworn in December 27, 1937
- Michael F. Walsh: 1938–1939 (resigned, appointed Secretary of State of New York)
- Vine H. Smith (interim): 1939
- Harold M. Kennedy: 1939–1944 (resigned, appointed judge of this Court])
- T. Vincent Quinn (interim): 1944–1945
- Miles F. McDonald: 1945 (resigned, elected Kings County District Attorney in November 1945)
- T. Vincent Quinn (interim): 1945-46
- J. Vincent Keogh: 1946–1950
- Frank J. Parker: 1950–1953
- Leonard P. Moore: 1953–1957
- Cornelius W. Wickersham, Jr.: 1957–1961
- Elliot Kahaner (interim): 1961
- Joseph P. Hoey: 1961–1969
- Vincent T. McCarthy (interim): 1969
- Edward R. Neaher: 1969–1971
- Robert A. Morse: 1971–1973
- Edward J. Boyd (interim): 1973–1974
- David G. Trager: 1974–1978
- Edward R. Korman: 1978–1982
- Raymond J. Dearie: 1982–1986
- Reena Raggi (interim): 1986
- Andrew J. Maloney: 1986–1992
- Mary Jo White (interim): 1992–1993
- Zachary W. Carter: 1993–1999
- Loretta E. Lynch: 1999–2001
- Alan Vinegrad (interim): 2001–2002
- Roslynn Renee Mauskopf: 2002–2007
- Benton J. Campbell (interim): 2007–2010
- Loretta E. Lynch: April 22, 2010–2015
- Kelly Currie (interim): 2015
- Robert L. Capers: 2015–2017 
- Bridget Rohde (acting): 2017-2018
- Richard Donoghue: 2018 current
- "Chief Aide to Hickey Sworn as Successor". New York Times. December 28, 1937. Retrieved January 9, 2018.
- "O'Dwyer Elected Mayor in City Sweep; Carries Ticket With Him; Goldstein 2d; Molotoff Rebukes U.S. on Atomic Policy — Record Plurality — Margin Totals 685,175 — McGoldrick Out but Runs Ahead of Ticket — Blow to Dewey Seen — Beldock Defeated by Big Margin — Lynch Loses to Hall in Richmond". New York Times. November 1945. p. 1. Retrieved 22 October 2016.
- Weiser, Benjamin (April 22, 2010). "Appeals Court Judge and U.S. Attorney Are Confirmed". New York Times. p. A24. Retrieved January 9, 2018.
- Albany Law School website. Accessed June 2, 2015.
- Washington Post. "Sessions names 17 interim U.S. attorneys, including in premier Manhattan office". Retrieved January 3, 2018.
- United States Attorney for the Eastern District of New York Official Website