United States Senate Committee on Industrial Expositions
The Senate Committee on Industrial Expositions was a committee of the United States Senate between 1899 and 1921. It was originally established as a select committee, but became a standing committee in 1909. It was preceded by three other select committees.
The committee's roots date back to 1885 during the 49th Congress, when the Senate established a select committee to celebrate the centennial of the United States Constitution and the 400th Anniversary of the discovery of America. Beginning with the 52nd Congress (1891 – 1893), this committee was renamed the Select Committee on the Quadro-Centennial, and again at the start of the 54th Congress (1895 – 1897) as the Select Committee on International Expositions. "International" was changed to "Industrial" during the 56th Congress (1899 – 1901). The committees were charged with overseeing celebrations and expositions commemorating historic events.
The committee became a standing committee in 1909 when Senator Nelson Aldrich of Rhode Island submitted a resolution that had the effect of giving all current select committees, including Industrial Expositions, full committee status. The committee was abolished in 1921, along with many other obsolete committees.
- Select Committee on the Centennial of the Constitution and the Discovery of America (1885–1891)
- Select Committee on the Quadro-Centennial (1891–1895)
- Select Committee on International Expositions (1895–1899)
- Select Committee on Industrial Expositions (1899–1909)
- Walter Stubbs (1985), Congressional Committees, 1789-1982: A Checklist, Greenwood Press
- Robert C. Byrd (1992), The Senate: 1789-1989 Historical Statistics 1789-1992, Vol. 4, U.S. Government Printing Office
- Coren, Robert W.; Mary Rephlo; David Kepley; Charles South (1989). "Guide to the Records of the United States Senate at the National Archives, 1789-1989: Bicentennial Edition". National Archives and Records Administration. pp. Chapter 7. Retrieved 2009-02-17.
- Canon, David T.; Garrison Nelson; Charles Stewart III (2002). Committees in the U.S. Congress: 1789-1946. Vol 4, Select Committees. Washington, DC: CQ Press. ISBN 1-56802-175-5.
- Coren, Robert W.; Mary Rephlo; David Kepley; Charles South (1989). "Guide to the Records of the United States Senate at the National Archives, 1789-1989: Bicentennial Edition". National Archives and Records Administration. pp. Chapter 18. Retrieved 2009-02-17.
|This United States Congress–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|