United States Senate special election in Minnesota, 2018
|Elections in Minnesota|
The 2018 United States Senate special election in Minnesota will take place November 6, 2018, to elect a United States Senator from Minnesota to fill Senator Al Franken's term expiring on January 3, 2021. Franken announced his resignation on December 7, 2017, effective January 2, 2018 after a sexual misconduct scandal. His interim successor, Tina Smith, was selected by Governor Mark Dayton on December 13, 2017, and indicated she plans to compete in the special election. This election will coincide with a regularly scheduled U.S. Senate election for the seat currently held by Amy Klobuchar, U.S. House elections, a gubernatorial election, State House elections, and other elections.
The candidate filing deadline is June 5, 2018, and the primary election will be held on August 14, 2018.
- 1 Democratic primary
- 2 Republican primary
- 3 General election
- 4 See also
- 5 References
- 6 External links
- Keith Ellison, U.S. Representative
- Betty McCollum, U.S. Representative
- Rick Nolan, U.S. Representative
- Collin Peterson, U.S. Representative
- Patricia Torres Ray, State Senator
- Tim Walz, U.S. Representative (running for Governor)
- Lori Swanson, Attorney General of Minnesota (running for re-election)
- Jake Sullivan, former National Security Adviser to Vice President Joe Biden
Formed exploratory committee
- Sarah Anderson, Minnesota State Representative
- Michelle Benson, State Senator
- Kurt Daudt, Speaker of the Minnesota House of Representatives
- Paul Gazelka, Majority Leader of the Minnesota Senate
- Amy Koch, former Minnesota State Senator
- Pete Hegseth, veteran, Fox News Contributor and candidate for the U.S. Senate in 2012
- Jason Lewis, U.S. Representative
- Mike Lindell, CEO of My Pillow
- Stewart Mills III, businessman and nominee for MN-08 in 2014 and 2016
- Erik Paulsen, U.S. Representative
- Joyce Peppin, Majority Leader of the Minnesota House of Representatives
- Richard Painter, former White House ethics lawyer 
- Michele Bachmann, former U.S. Representative
- Norm Coleman, former U.S. Senator (endorsed Karin Housley)
- Tom Emmer, U.S. Representative (endorsed Karin Housley)
- Jenifer Loon, State Representative (endorsed Karin Housley)
- Tim Pawlenty, former Governor of Minnesota
- Julie Rosen, Minnesota State Senator
|The Cook Political Report||Toss-up||December 7, 2017|
|Rothenberg Political Report||Likely D||December 7, 2017|
|Sabato's Crystal Ball||Likely D||February 7, 2018|
- "United States Senate special election in Minnesota, 2018 - Ballotpedia". Retrieved March 3, 2017.
- Magan, Christopher (February 5, 2018). "Fellow Democrat Nick Leonard to challenge Tina Smith for Senate seat". St. Paul Pioneer Press. Retrieved February 6, 2018.
- Domonoske, Camila (December 13, 2017). "Minnesota Lt. Gov. Tina Smith Will Replace Al Franken in U.S. Senate". NPR. Retrieved December 13, 2017.
- Bakst, Brian (December 8, 2017). "Senate vacancy creates opportunity, complications galore". Minnesota Public Radio. Retrieved December 13, 2017.
- Potter, Kyle (December 14, 2017). "Minnesota Democrats aim to clear Smith's path for 2018 bid". The Washington Post. Retrieved December 14, 2017.
- Coolican, J. Patrick (December 13, 2017). "Rep. Keith Ellison won't run for U.S. Senate in '18". Star Tribune. Retrieved December 13, 2017.
- Pathé, Simone (December 6, 2017). "What Happens to Franken's Seat If He Resigns?". Roll Call. Retrieved December 13, 2017.
- Allen, Jonathan (December 7, 2017). "Franken exit could be game-changer for control of Senate". NBC News. Retrieved December 7, 2017.
- "MN-Sen: Sen. Maggie Hassan (D. NH) Helps Tina Smith (D) Get Ready To Defeat Michelle Bachmann (R)". Daily Kos. January 18, 2018.
- "MN-Sen: Amy Klobuchar (D) Helps Tina "The Velvet Hammer" Smith (D) Get Ready For Victory". Daily Kos. March 6, 2018.
- "MI, IN, WI, MN, OH & PA-Sen: Sen. Gary Peters (D. MI) Helps Senate Dems Win Big In The Midwest". Daily Kos. February 28, 2018.
- "MN-Sen: Sen. Brian Schatz (D. HI) Helps Fellow Progressive Tina Smith (D) Win Her Special Election". Daily Kos. March 11, 2018.
- "OH, WI, PA & MN-Sen: Warren (D. MA) Helps These Dems Continue To Stand Up To Wall Street". Daily Kos. March 9, 2018.
- Robillard, Kevin; Severns, Maggie (December 13, 2017). "Minnesota governor names Lt. Gov. Tina Smith as Franken replacement". Politico. Retrieved December 13, 2017.
- Brodey, Sam (December 14, 2017). "Why Minnesota's Democratic House delegation unanimously supports Tina Smith for Senate in 2018". MinnPost. Retrieved December 14, 2017.
- "Minnesota AFL-CIO makes first round of 2018 political endorsements | Minnesota AFL-CIO". www.mnaflcio.org. March 6, 2018.
- "SEIU Endorse Tina Smith, Angie Craig, Keith Ellison and Betty McCollum". seiumn.org. March 9, 2018.
- "USW Lauds Appointment of Tina Smith to U.S. Senate". United Steelworkers.
Smith has indicated that she will also run in the November 2018 election to fill the remaining two years of the term, and the USW has promised to provide strong support to her campaign.
- "Emily's List endorses Tina Smith for U.S. Senate in Minnesota". Emily's List. January 4, 2018.
- "NARAL Pro-Choice America PAC Endorses Tina Smith for Senate in Minnesota - NARAL Pro-Choice America". NARAL Pro-Choice America. March 8, 2018.
- "Replacing Franken: Who's in, who's out, who's being talked about". Minnesota Public Radio. December 7, 2017. Retrieved February 6, 2018.
- Pugmire, Tim (December 7, 2017). "As Dayton weighs Franken replacement, who may run in 2018?". Minnesota Public Radio. Retrieved December 7, 2017.
- Orrick, Dave (December 19, 2017). "Washington County Republican Karin Housley wants Al Franken's Senate seat". St. Paul Pioneer Press. Retrieved December 19, 2017.
- Kenny, Caroline (March 7, 2018). "Trump critic Richard Painter to explore Minnesota US Senate run". CNN. Retrieved March 7, 2018.
- Coolican, J. Patrick (December 9, 2017). "Minnesota's 2018 special Senate election for Al Franken's seat sets up seismic political shift". Star Tribune. Retrieved December 13, 2017.
- "Minnesota Republicans are chattering about who will run for Franken's Senate seat in 2018". December 8, 2017.
- McCullough, Kevin. "Should @realMikeLindell step forward as the next Senator of Minnesota?". Twitter.
- McCullough, Kevin. "Will @RealMikeLindell run for U.S. Senate from Minnesota?". Twitter.
- Carney, Jordain (January 2, 2018). "Bachmann considering running for Franken's seat". The Hill.
- Potter, Kyle. "NEW: Former Sen. Norm Coleman says on his personal Facebook he won't run for Franken's #mnsen seat in 2018pic.twitter.com/dktnkRzoMs".
- "Emmer will seek re-election in 6th Congressional District". ABC Newspapers. January 18, 2018.
- Potter, Kyle (December 21, 2017). "Tim Pawlenty eyes return to national stage — but in a new GOP era". Twin Cities Pioneer Press.
- "Pawlenty opts against senate run on Fox News".
- "2018 Senate Race Ratings". The Cook Political Report. Retrieved December 7, 2017.
- "2018 Senate Ratings". The Rothenberg Political Report. Retrieved December 7, 2017.
- "Larry J. Sabato's Crystal Ball » 2018 Ratings Changes". www.centerforpolitics.org.
- Official campaign websites