United States University
|InterAmerican College (1997–2010)|
|Motto||"Knowledge is empowerment"|
|President||Dr. Steven Stargardter|
|Provost||Dr. Steven Stargardter|
|Students||1,650 (Summer 2015)|
|Address||7675 Mission Valley Road, San Diego, CA 92108, Mission Valley, California, United States|
|Colors||blue and yellow|
United States University (USU) is a private, for-profit university located in San Diego, California. It offers graduate and undergraduate degrees in health sciences, business, and nursing as well as California Teaching Credentials.
USU was founded in 1997 as InterAmerican College by Reymundo and Maria Marin, as a non-profit college geared to help immigrants transfer degrees. According to the 2008 WASC report on InterAmerican College, the area of which the college was previously located (National City) was once considered the 13th most impoverished city in the nation and one of the initial goals of the college was to serve the needs of educated immigrants. Foreign college transcripts would be evaluated by an independent panel that would appraise course work and give the student credit for up to three years of college course work. There would then be one-month courses on weeknights and weekends to complete any remaining requirements for an American degree. This early focus on immigrant education garnered positive press such as a 1999 Associated Press article and a 2002 San Diego Union Tribune article.
In its first eight years InterAmerican College was initially dedicated to educating future bilingual teachers. The California Commission on Teacher Credentialing granted the institution the initial accreditation and approved the liberal studies program as well as the multiple and single subject credential programs. The United States University nursing program has increased in popularity in comparison to the additionally offered teaching programs.
In 2010, the institution changed its name to United States University to reflect the new status of University granted to the college. This name change was initiated by the new leadership team which took the reins in early 2010. Dr. Yoram Neumann, previously the vice president for academic affairs at California State University Dominguez Hills and the President, CEO, and founder of TUI University, was appointed president of USU. Three years later, the university settled a civil suit brought by the federal government alleging fraud related to financial aid charges. A local news outlet described the case as unusual as it resulted in criminal charges against the individual involved - the director of financial aid who pleaded guilty - as well as civil charges against the university.
During its June 18, 2014 meeting, the Structural Change Committee of the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC) granted United States University (USU) approval for a change of ownership from Educacion Significativa, LLC, to Linden, LLC.
In 2016, United States University moved their campus from Chula Vista, CA to Mission Valley, CA.
- Bachelor of Arts in Management
- Bachelor of Science in Health Science
- Bachelor or Science in Nursing (BSN)
- Master of Business Administration (MBA)
- Master of Science in Health Science
- Master of Arts in Education
- Master of Science in Nursing, Family Nurse Practitioner
- Master of Science in Nursing, Online Education and Education Technology
- Master of Science in Nursing, Nursing Leadership for Health Systems Management Innovations
California Teaching Credentials:
- Multiple Subject Teaching Credential
- Single Subject Teaching Credential
United States University is accredited by the Accrediting Commission for Senior Colleges and Universities of the Western Association of Schools and Colleges. The teaching credential programs are accredited by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing. The Nurse Practitioner Programs are approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing. The Master of Science in Nursing is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education.
- Mission Valley, CA
- "InterAmerican College With Educación Significativa, LLC Enters into Strategic Alliance Agreement". Hispanic PR Wire. Retrieved 2012-12-06.
- [dead link]
- "ProQuest Archiver: Titles". Pqasb.pqarchiver.com. Retrieved 2012-12-06.
-  Archived May 23, 2010, at the Wayback Machine.
- Hello, Guest (2010-02-24). "Neumann named president, CEO of InterAmerican College | UTSanDiego.com". Signonsandiego.com. Retrieved 2012-12-06.
- Kyla Calvert (April 16, 2013). "Local For-Profit University Pays Financial Aid Fraud Settlement". KPBS (TV). Retrieved April 17, 2013.
- Mike Wille (April 15, 2013). "United States University Settles Financial Aid Fraud". San Diego 6. Retrieved April 17, 2013.
- "Commission action letter, Change of Ownership, June 2014 action".
- "Accreditation". United States University. 2013. Retrieved November 4, 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to United States University (California).|