On December 11, 1941, the United States Congress declared war on Germany (Pub. L. 77–331, Sess. 1, ch. 564, 55 Stat. 796), hours after Germany declared war on the United States after the attack on Pearl Harbor by the Empire of Japan. The vote was 88–0 in the Senate and 393–0 in the House.
|Long title||Joint Resolution "Declaring that a state of war exists between the Government of Germany and the Government and the people of the United States and making provision to prosecute the same"|
|Enacted by||the 77th United States Congress|
|Effective||December 11, 1941|
|Public law||Pub. L. 77–331|
|Statutes at Large||55 Stat. 796|
Seventy-Seventh Congress of the United States of America; At the First Session Begun and held at the City of Washington, on Friday, the third day of January, 1941.
JOINT RESOLUTION Declaring That a State of War Exists Between The Government of Germany and the Government and the People of the United States and Making Provisions To Prosecute The Same
Whereas the Government of Germany has formally declared war against the Government and the people of the United States of America:
Therefore be it
Resolved by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled, That the state of war between the United States and the Government of Germany which has thus been thrust upon the United States is hereby formally declared; and the President is hereby authorized and directed to employ the entire naval and military forces of the United States and the resources of the Government to carry on war against the Government of Germany; and, to bring the conflict to a successful termination, all of the resources of the country are hereby pledged by the Congress of the United States.
(Signed) Sam Rayburn, Speaker of the House of Representatives
(Signed) H. A. Wallace, Vice President of the United States and President of the Senate
Approved December 11, 1941 3:05 PM E.S.T.
- Arcadia Conference
- Declarations of war during World War II
- Diplomatic history of World War II
- German declaration of war against the United States (1941)
- Kellogg–Briand Pact
- United Kingdom declaration of war on Germany (1939)
- United States declaration of war upon Germany (1917)
- United States declaration of war upon Italy
- United States declaration of war upon Japan
- "Joint Resolution Declaring That a State of War Exists Between The Government of Germany and the Government and the People of the United States and Making Provision To Prosecute The Same, 11 December 1941". Retrieved July 14, 2010.
- 77th U.S. Congress. "Joint Resolution 119 of December 11, 1941, declaration of war on Germany" (jpg). U.S. National Archives and Records Administration. Retrieved March 24, 2011. (Pub. L. 77–331, 55 Stat. 796, enacted December 11, 1941)
- Works related to United States declaration of war on Germany (1941) at Wikisource