United States presidential election in Washington (state), 2012
The 2012 United States presidential election in Washington took place on November 6, 2012 as part of the 2012 General Election in which all 50 states plus The District of Columbia participated. Washington voters chose 12 electors to represent them in the Electoral College via a popular vote pitting incumbent Democratic President Barack Obama and his running mate, Vice President Joe Biden, against Republican challenger and former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney and his running mate, Congressman Paul Ryan.
President Obama won the state of Washington comfortably, taking 56.16% to Mitt Romney's 41.29%, a 14.87% margin of victory. The election continued the state's blue trend; Washington has not voted for a Republican since Ronald Reagan in 1984.
|United States presidential election in Washington, 2012|
|Party||Candidate||Running mate||Votes||Percentage||Electoral votes|
|Democratic||Barack Obama||Joe Biden||1,755,396||56.16%||12|
|Republican||Mitt Romney||Paul Ryan||1,290,670||41.29%||0|
|Libertarian||Gary Johnson||Jim Gray||42,202||1.35%||0|
|Green||Jill Stein||Cheri Honkala||20,928||0.67%||0|
|Constitution||Virgil Goode||Jim Clymer||8,851||0.28%||0|
|Justice||Rocky Anderson||Luis J. Rodriguez||4,946||0.16%||0|
|Socialism and Liberation||Peta Lindsay||Yari Osorio||1,318||0.04%||0|
|Socialist Workers||James Harris||Alyson Kennedy||1,205||0.04%||0|
The Republican caucuses were held on March 3, 2012, The additional preferential primary, as held since 1992, was canceled this year for budgetary reasons, as was the one in 2004. Caucus participants however did not allocate national delegates to the candidates, they did only elected delegates to the county conventions and took part in a nonbinding strawpoll. Only the state convention on May 31 – June 2, 2012 legally pledged delegates to the national convention to specific candidates.
|Washington state Republican caucuses nonbinding strawpoll|
|Elections in Washington|
2012 U.S. Presidential Election
- Republican Party presidential debates, 2012
- Republican Party presidential primaries, 2012
- Results of the 2012 Republican Party presidential primaries
- United States Senate election in Washington, 2012
- "Washington SoS". Retrieved January 13, 2013.
- Grygiel, Chris (September 27, 2011). "Washington state GOP to hold presidential caucus March 3". Seattle Post-Intelligencer. Hearst Corporation. ISSN 0745-970X. OCLC 3734418. Retrieved January 10, 2011.
- "GOP candidates vie for delegates in Washington, feet planted in Ohio". Fox News. March 3, 2012. Retrieved March 3, 2012.
- "Elections & Voting". Washington Secretary of State - Elections Division. Retrieved March 4, 2012.
- Washington Republican - The Green Papers