United We Stand (song)
|"United We Stand"|
|Single by The Brotherhood of Man|
|from the album United We Stand|
|B-side||"A Little Bit of Heaven" (12")
Say A Prayer (7")
|Released||23 January 1970|
|Writer(s)||Tony Hiller / Peter Simmons|
|The Brotherhood of Man singles chronology|
"United We Stand" is a song written by Tony Hiller and Peter Simmons. It was first released in 1970 by The Brotherhood of Man (in their original, pre-Eurovision line-up), becoming the band's first hit, peaking at #13 in the U.S., #9 in Canada, and #10 in the U.K. The song spent 15 weeks on the charts, and is ranked as the 64th biggest U.S. hit of 1970.
It has been recorded by over 100 different artists. In 1977, it was used as the closing theme song of the short-lived Brady Bunch Hour. Thirty years after the original 1970 hit it was popularised again by becoming a patriotic and spiritual anthem for many during the post 9/11 recovery. It has also been used as a football chant and by gay rights groups. Taken literally, the song's lyrics convey two lovers who tell each other that no matter what hardships come their way, they will always be together. In general terms, it relates a message of strength in unity.
The song was later included on an album of the same name and was followed by another hit "Where are You Going to My Love". A sound-alike cover appeared on the 1970 album Top of the Pops, Volume 10. Irish Popstars winners Six also recorded a version which appears on their album. Phish closed out their three-night stand at Dick's Sporting Goods Park in Commerce City, Colorado, on September 6, 2015,to end a 7-song encore with the song, playing to 26,000 people in attendance and a live stream on the Internet.
- [dead link]
- "Top 100 Hits of 1970/Top 100 Songs of 1970". Musicoutfitters.com. Retrieved 2016-10-03.
- Billboard. Books.google.co.uk. 1970-03-14. p. 64. Retrieved 2016-10-03.
- "Tony Hiller and Brotherhood of Man : Songwriter Interviews". Songfacts.com. 2011-09-30. Retrieved 2016-10-03.
- "Lee Sheriden | Metro News". Metro.co.uk. 2009-10-27. Retrieved 2016-10-03.
- [dead link]
- Dave Thompson. "Top of the Pops, Vol. 10 - Various Artists | Songs, Reviews, Credits". AllMusic. Retrieved 2016-10-03.
- "Phish Surprises With Rare 'Harpua' Encore And Bust Outs Galore In Spectacular Dick's Tour Closer". Live for Live Music. 7 September 2015.