|Founded||December 23rd, 2005; 11 years ago|
Broadband Internet access
Fixed line telephone
Number of employees
Unitel (Universal or United telecommunications) is a Mongolian Corporate Group of information technology companies, headquartered at Central Tower in downtown Ulan Bator, Mongolia. It was founded on December 23, 2005 as BSB consortium as GSM mobile phone operator and began operations on June 26, 2006. As a provider of mobile telephone services, Unitel is the second largest company in terms of subscriber base and 14th largest company in Mongolia as measured by a composite of revenues, profits, assets and taxes. Its revenue, profits and revenue per subscriber figures are rapidly growing. Unitel also provides broadband subscription television services through Univision.
Within its initial launch year, Unitel acquired 200 thousand subscribers, the biggest acquisition in one year in Mongolian telecommunication history. In 2009, Unitel launched its 3G network on HSDPA 2100 MHz. Unitel network covers approximately 88% of total population of Mongolia.
In November 2010, Unitel declared that it has become 100% indigenous company (i.e. Mongolian share owners bought all share from the Korean side). In 2011, Unitel renewed its logo. Logo (Fibonacci spiral) represents growth and harmony. Major shareholder of the company is MCS Holdings, Mongolian largest privately held organization.
Members of the group
- UNITEL, mobile network operator
- MCS Com, broadband ISP
- MONSAT, satellite communication service provider
- SKYNETWORKS, Mongolia's biggest fiber-optic network
- Shangri-La Group, new era of fixed phone
- UNIVISION, triple-play operator IPTV, internet, fixed phone
- 2001. MCSCom was established and provided broadband internet service.
- 2003. Monsat introduced satellite communication service for the first time in Mongolia.
- 2004. Skynetworks started construction of its UB’s widest fiber-optic network.
- 2005. BSB Telecom consortium (Unitel) won an open tender to select the third operator with mandate to ensure fair competition in mobile industry.
- 2006. Unitel launched its cellular phone service with GSM technology.
- 2007. Skynetcom introduced Mongolia’s first fixed IP phone service.
- 2008. Unitel built own nationwide reliable network.
- 2009. Unitel extended its worldwide international roaming coverage.
- 2010. Unitel became a 100 percent Mongolia company.
- 2011. Univision launched first triple-play service (IPTV, IPPhone, IPNet) of Mongolia.
- 2011. Unitel, MCSCom, Monsat, Skynetworks, Skynetcom and Univision united to establish UNITEL GROUP.
- 2014. Unitel, Mongolian №1 ICT Group
- Postpaid services
- Prepaid services
- International calling | IDD, Roaming
- IP phone service
- Content services
- 3.5G services
- Value added services
- 4G LTE
- Fiber optic (Fiber Core)
- High speed Ethernet Bandwidth
- FTTx Ethernet
- Designated (Exclusive) Network
- High security VPN
- IX (Internet Exchange)
- Wireless network
- 3.5G network
Corporate ICT solution
- Network establishment (satellite, fiber optic, radio)
- Ethernet and VPN
- Mobile, satellite and fixed phone
- Mobile Marketing
Satellite communication services
- Voice service
- Data communication service
- Fax services from Iridium, BGAN, Inmarsat, Globalstar, Thuraya.
- IP Phone
In 2011 Unitel launched the GreenBerry mobile mail service, which is Mongolia's first clouding service under an exclusive agreement with SEVEN Networks, US company.
In 2016, Unitel launched its video streaming service, LookTV, where its subscribers can access video-on-demand contents much like Netflix. Monthly subscription fee is different depending on the packages, Asian Pack, Hollywood Pack, Mongolian Pack and ALL Pack which includes all the contents previous packs offer.
- Network coverage in 464 regions
- 42 service centers, about 10000 sales points and mobile dealers
- Official Site (in Mongolian)