Unity: The Latin Tribute to Michael Jackson
|Unity: The Latin Tribute to Michael Jackson|
|Compilation album by |
|Genre||Salsa music, Tropical music|
Unity: The Latin Tribute to Michael Jackson, also known as The Unity Project, is a collaborative musical project aimed at creating a Michael Jackson tribute album inspired by Latin music styles. The leader of the project is Peruvian-American musician Tony Succar and vocals are provided by a number of leading artists in Latin music genres, especially Salsa. Succar's aim with the project was to celebrate Jackson's music and legacy by combining it with a Latin-orchestrated sound. The stated goal is "to honor the legacy of Michael Jackson, the King of Pop. By remaining true to his artistic essence, excellence, and music we seek to unify all human beings." Upon its release, the album debuted at number one on the Billboard Tropical Albums chart.
When Michael Jackson died on June 25, 2009 Succar was in the final year of a graduate programme at Florida International University. In October of that year Succar was planning a Halloween concert when the client asked him to close the performance with Jackson's song Thriller. At the time Succar had a predominantly Salsa band, so he decided to create and perform a Salsa arrangement of Thriller. The song was well received by the audience and Succar decided to produce an album of Jackson covers as a tribute. He did not have the funds to begin production, so decided to use Kickstarter to raise the necessary financing. This paid for the initial stages of production and Succar funded ongoing costs by working locally with his band. Succar also faced challenges in obtaining licenses to use Jackson's music; the license for Thriller alone took three years to be granted.
Succar initially worked with fellow FIU students to produce new versions of Jackson's songs in a Latin style. The music was rewritten to include tropical rhythms from the Latin Caribbean. Other influences were jazz, world music and American pop. However Succar also wanted high-profile singers to provide the vocals for the album. His preference was for a well known Salsa singer and he approached various candidates. Kevin Ceballo was the first artist to sign up, followed by Tito Nieves. Nieves was initially reluctant due to other commitments, but a backing vocalist who was involved in the project contacted him directly; after listening to a demo of a track from the album Nieves agreed to take part. He recorded two tracks for the album, and his involvement helped Succar bring several other prominent vocalists on board; these include Salsa singers La India, Michael Stuart, Jon Secada, Jean Rodriguez and Obie Bermúdez as well as Latin Pop/Tejano performer Jennifer Peña.
In total around 90 musicians have contributed to the album. Recording has taken place in several major US cities, as well as in Puerto Rico and Peru.
Album track listing
An album containing 12 tracks produced by Unity was released in April 2015.
All tracks feature Tony Succar.
- "I Want You Back" (Tito Nieves) - 4:43
- "Billie Jean" (Jean Rodriguez) - 5:03
- "Man In The Mirror" (Kevin Ceballo) - 5:09
- "Sera Que No Me Amas" (Michael Stuart) - 4:43
- "Earth Song" (India) - 6:26
- "Human Nature" (Jon Secada) - 4:13
- "Todo Mi Amor Eres Tu" (Jennifer Peña and Obie Bermúdez) - 4:25
- "Black Or White" (Kevin Ceballo) - 4:20
- "Smooth Criminal" (Jean Rodriguez) - 4:40
- "They Don't Care About Us" (Kevin Ceballo) - 5:06
- "Thriller" (Kevin Ceballo) - 4:35
- "You Are Not Alone" (Tito Nieves and Tito Nieves Jr.) - 5:05
A single from the album, I Want You Back, was released in September 2012.
- Michael Jackson – Composer
- Tony Succar – Primary Artist, Producer, Arranger
- Tito Nieves – Primary Artist
- Jean Rodriguez – Primary Artist
- Kevin Ceballo – Primary Artist
- Michael Stuart – Primary Artist
- India – Primary Artist
- Jon Secada – Primary Artist
- Obie Bermudez – Primary Artist
- Jennifer Pena – Primary Artist
- Tito Nieves Jr. – Primary Artist
- Carlos Alvarez – Mixing
- Bruce Swedien – Mixing
- Nick Valentin – Mixing
- Mike Fuller – Mastering
- Unity - The Latin Tribute to Michael Jackson - Official site
- Unity, Newsroom, retrieved 4 June 2013.
- "Tropical Albums". Billboard. Prometheus Globla Media. Retrieved 24 April 2015.
- FIU Magazine, Winter 2012-2013, The King of Pop gets a little 'aSuccar', retrieved 1 June 2013.
- Wall Street International Magazine, 11 July 2012, Unity: The Latin Tribute to Michael Jackson, retrieved 1 June 2013.
- CD Depot, Unity: The Latin Tribute to Michael Jackson, retrieved 1 June 2013.
- My San Antonio, 22 August 2013, The Unity Project Announces the Release of "I Want You Back", retrieved 1 June 2013.
- Salsamundi, 7 Jan 2013, Unity: The Latin Tribute to Michael Jackson, retrieved 1 June 2013
- Amazon.com, I want you back by Tito Nieves and Tony Succar, retrieved 1 June 2013.
- Unity, Home page, retrieved 1 June 2013.
- The Urban Music Scene, 17 Oct 2012, Unity Releases Its 2nd Solo Track, "Será Que No Me Amas" in Tribute to Michael Jackson Archived 2012-10-31 at the Wayback Machine., retrieved 1 June 2013.