Universal Channel (Japan)
- See Syfy Universal for a list of other Syfy channels.
|Universal Channel (Japan)
|Launched||April 1, 2008 (as Sci-Fi Channel)
April 1, 2010 (as Universal Channel)
|Closed||March 31, 2013|
|Owned by||NBC Universal|
|Formerly called||Sci-Fi Channel (2008-2010)|
Universal Channel was a Japanese television channel.
This was the result of an agreement between NBC Universal and Jupiter Telecommunications for NBC Universal to acquire Jupiter Telecommunications' subsidiary company JSBC2 and launch Sci Fi Channel on J:COM. Under the terms of the agreement, NBC Universal acquired 100% of the equity of JSBC2, which held the broadcasting license for Reality TV on the SKY PerfecTV! platform in Japan.
Sci-Fi Channel was rebranded in the US on July 7, 2009 as Syfy as part of a global rebrand. Sci-Fi Channel in Japan did not adopt it because it was rebranded in the merger with Universal Channel. Sci-Fi occupies a programming block on Universal Channel. The channel's website no longer exists, instead redirecting to The Universal Channel's website.
On April 1, 2010, Sci-Fi Channel (Japan) was rebranded into Universal Channel (Japan); a Syfy programming block later premiered.
- "SCI FI Channel to begin broadcasting throughout Japan". Japan Today. 2008-03-26.
- "NBC to launch SCI FI and Universal Channels". TV Next. 2008-03-30.
- "NBCU Goes to Jupiter for Japanese Sci Fi". AWN News. 2007-11-08.
- "Universal Channel launches in Japan". OnScreen Asia. 2010-04-05.