Universal City, Texas
|City of Universal City|
Randolph Air Force Base Chapel
|Motto: "The Gateway to Randolph AFB"|
Location of Universal City, Texas
|• City Council||Mayor John Williams
Richard “Dick” Neville
S. Bear Goolsby
|• City Manager||Ken Taylor|
|• Total||5.6 sq mi (14.6 km2)|
|• Land||5.6 sq mi (14.6 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||764 ft (233 m)|
|• Density||2,628.2/sq mi (1,014.7/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|ZIP codes||78148, 78150|
|GNIS feature ID||1349101|
Universal City is a city located in Bexar and Guadalupe counties, Texas, United States. It borders San Antonio to the northeast, and is adjacent to Randolph Air Force Base. The population was 18,530 at the 2010 census. It is part of the San Antonio Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Universal City was established in 1960. Through Universal City is Pat Booker Road, the commercial thoroughfare of the city.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 5.7 square miles (15 km2), all of it land.
As of the census of 2010, there were 18,530 people, 7,575 households, and 4,973 families residing in the city. The population density was 3,321.4 people per square mile (1,282.4/km²). There were 8,036 housing units at an average density of 1,120.5 per square mile (432.6/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 75.4% White, 10.1% African American, 0.70% Native American, 2.9% Asian, 0.3% Pacific Islander, 6.3% from other races, and 4.2% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 32.3% of the population.
There were 7,575 households out of which 29.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 47% were married couples living together, 4.5% had a male householder with no wife present, 14.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 34.3% were non-families. 27.8% of all households were made up of individuals living alone, and 7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.45 and the average family size was 3.00.
In the city the population was spread out with 27.1% from age 0 to 19, 7.5% from 20 to 24, 26.7% from 25 to 44, 26.1% from 45 to 64, and 12.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36.1 years. For every 100 females there were 98 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $51,900, and the median income for a family was $61,066. The per capita income for the city was $26,019. About 13.7% of families and 17.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 25.3% of those under age 18 and 11.3% of those age 65 or over.
The Universal City Public Library is in the city.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Official Website of Universal City, Texas". Official Website of Universal City, Texas. Retrieved July 29, 2012.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2014". Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "Library." City of Universal City. Retrieved on March 25, 2010.
- Universal City official website
- Universal City Web Mapping application
- Schertz-Cibolo-Universal City Independent School District
- Judson Independent School District