Universal Flash Storage
Universal Flash Storage (UFS) is a flash storage specification for digital cameras, mobile phones and consumer electronic devices. It aims to bring higher data transfer speed and increased reliability to flash memory storage, while reducing market confusion and removing the need for different adapters for different types of card.
The proposed flash memory specification is supported by leading firms in the consumer electronics industry such as Nokia, Sony Ericsson, Texas Instruments, STMicroelectronics, Samsung, Micron, SK Hynix. UFS is positioned as a replacement for eMMCs and SD cards. The electrical interface for UFS uses the M-PHY, developed by the MIPI Alliance, a high speed serial interface targeting 2.9 Gbit/s per lane with up-scalability to 5.8 Gbit/s per lane. UFS implements a full-duplex serial LVDS interface that scales better to higher bandwidths than the 8-lane parallel interface of eMMCs. Unlike eMMC, Universal Flash Storage is based on the SCSI architectural model and supports SCSI Tagged Command Queuing.
The standard is developed by, and available from, the JEDEC Solid State Technology Association. In September 2013, JEDEC published JESD220B UFS 2.0 (update to UFS v1.1 standard published in June 2012). JESD220B Universal Flash Storage v2.0 offers increased link bandwidth for performance improvement, a security features extension and additional power saving features over the UFS v1.1.
On 30 January 2018 JEDEC published version 3.0 of the UFS standard, with a higher 11.6 Gbit/s data rate per lane (1450 MB/s) with the use of MIPI M-PHY v4.1 and UniProSM v1.8. At the MWC 2018, Samsung unveiled embedded UFS (eUFS) v3.0 and uMCP solutions.
On 30 March 2016, JEDEC published version 1.0 of the UFS Card Extension Standard.
In March 2016, JEDEC published version 2.1 of the UFS Host Controller Interface standard.
On 7 July 2016, Samsung introduced the first UFS cards in 32, 64, 128, and 256 GB storage capacities. The cards are based on the UFS 1.0 Card Extension Standard. The 256GB version will offer sequential read performance up to 530 MB/s and sequential write performance up to 170 MB/s and random performance of 40,000 read IOPS and 35,000 write IOPS.
Version 3.0 of the UFS Card Extension standard was published on January 30, 2018 and includes minor updates and editorial changes.
|Bandwidth per lane||300 MB/s||600 MB/s||1450 MB/s|
|Max. number of lanes||1||2|
|Max. total bandwidth||300 MB/s||1200 MB/s||2900 MB/s|
|Bandwidth per lane||600 MB/s||1200 MB/s|
|Max. number of lanes||1|
|Max. total bandwidth||600 MB/s||1200 MB/s|
- "Nokia, Others Back Mobile Memory Standard". PC World. Archived from the original on 9 February 2008.
- JEDEC Announces Publication of Universal Flash Storage (UFS) Standard
- Malykhina, Elena (14 September 2007). "Mobile Tech Companies Work On Flash Memory Standard". Information Week. Retrieved 19 September 2012.
- Modine, Austin (14 September 2007). "Flash memory makers propose common card". The Channel. Retrieved 19 September 2012.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 28 September 2011. Retrieved 15 August 2011.
- "Evolving Mobile Solutions: Samsung at MWC 2018 | Samsung Semiconductor Global Website". www.samsung.com.
- "eUFS | Samsung Semiconductor Global Website". www.samsung.com.
- "Samsung Starts Producing First 512-Gigabyte Universal Flash Storage for Next-Generation Mobile Devices | Samsung Semiconductor Global Website". www.samsung.com.
- "JEDEC Publishes Universal Flash Storage (UFS) Removable Card Standard | JEDEC". www.jedec.org. Retrieved 2016-07-07.
- Universal Flash Storage - Host Controller Interface (UFS-HCI), Version 2.1
- "Samsung Introduces World's First Universal Flash Storage (UFS) Removable Memory Card Line-up, Offering up to 256-Gigabyte (GB) Capacity". news.samsung.com. Retrieved 2016-07-07.
- Shilov, Anton. "Samsung Rolls Out Its First UFS Cards: SSD Performance in Card Form-Factor". Retrieved 2016-07-07.
- Cho, HeeChang (August 2016). "Next Generation of Mobile Storage: UFS and UFS Card" (PDF). Jedec.
- Chen, Horace (July 2017). "UFS 3.0 Controller Design Considerations" (PDF). Jedec.[permanent dead link]
- "JEDEC Announces Publication of Universal Flash Storage (UFS) Standard | JEDEC". www.jedec.org. Retrieved 2017-05-08.
- "JEDEC Updates Universal Flash Storage (UFS) Standard | JEDEC". www.jedec.org. Retrieved 2017-05-08.
- "JEDEC Publishes Universal Flash Storage (UFS) Standard v2.0 | JEDEC". www.jedec.org. Retrieved 2017-05-08.
- "JEDEC Updates Universal Flash Storage (UFS) and Related Standards | JEDEC". www.jedec.org. Retrieved 2017-05-08.
- "JEDEC Publishes Universal Flash Storage (UFS & UFSHCI) Version 3.0 and UFS Card Extension Version 1.1 | JEDEC". www.jedec.org. Retrieved 2018-01-31.
- "JEDEC Publishes Universal Flash Storage (UFS) Removable Card Standard | JEDEC". www.jedec.org. Retrieved 2017-10-30.
- Universal Flash Storage Association
- Presentation by Scott Jacobson and Harish Verma at Flash Memory Summit 2013
- Universal Flash Storage (UFS 1.1) (JESD223A) (June 2012) (free download, registration required)
- Universal Flash Storage (UFS) (JESD220) (February 2011) (login required)