Universal Music Publishing Group
Headquarters in Santa Monica
|Parent||Universal Music Group|
Universal Music Publishing Group (UMPG) is a North American music publishing company and is part of the Universal Music Group, a subsidiary of Vivendi Group. It was formerly known as MCA Music Publishing until its parent company Seagram was dismantled.
Universal Music Publishing is the world's second largest music publishing company, behind Sony/ATV Music Publishing. UMPG's catalogue consists of over three million songs, with offices in over 30 countries.
In 1998, Seagram acquired PolyGram for $10.4 billion. PolyGram's music business was merged into Seagram's MCA Records, forming a new company named Universal Music Group. The merger also included both record labels' music publishers. PolyGram catalog included Dick James Music, Welk Music, Cedarwood Publishing, and Sweden Music. MCA had been in the music publishing business since 1964. In 2006, Universal Music Publishing Group acquired Bertelsmann Music Publishing from Bertelsmann Music Group for €1.63 billion, back then the third largest publishing group in the world, making Universal Music the largest music publisher in the world. As part of the acquisition of BMG Music Publishing, Universal divested the catalogues of Zomba UK, Rondor UK, 19 Music and BBC to a new company named Imagem.
On January 1, 2015, Jody Gerson was named the Chairman and CEO of Universal Music Publishing Group, becoming the first female to run a major music publishing company. On December 3, 2015, she was named Executive of the Year by Billboard Magazine in its Women in Music issue. Sony/ATV Music Publishing overtook Universal Music Publishing as the world's largest music publisher in 2013 after acquiring EMI Music Publishing.
UMPG administers the 60,000 title Rondor Music Catalog and also owns or administers a multitude of others including: Interscope and Def Jam Music, DHX Media, All Nations Music, Charlie Daniels, Casa Ricordi, Matraca Berg, DreamWorks Animation, HBO, Warner Bros., Sesame Street, Lionsgate, Disney Music Group, Forerunner Music, Epitaph Records, Greenwich/Barry, Momentum Publishing, and John Philips. UMPG also owns or administers the works of Leonard Bernstein and Henry Mancini (non-USA), and Dsign Music.
- "First-Quarter Music Publishing Rankings: SONGS Surges Again". billboard.com. 2014. Retrieved May 12, 2014.
- "Seagram buys PolyGram from Philips for $10.6bn". independent.co.uk. May 22, 1998. Retrieved April 4, 2018.
- Inc, CMJ Network (March 22, 1999). "CMJ New Music Report". CMJ Network, Inc. Retrieved April 4, 2018 – via Google Books.
- "MCA BUYS LEEDS, MUSIC PUBLISHER; Entertainment Concern Gets Assets and Copyrights". The New York Times. 1964-11-26. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2018-12-29.
- "European Commission - PRESS RELEASES - Press release - Mergers: Commission approves Universal's proposed takeover of BMG's music publishing business, subject to commitments". europa.eu. Retrieved April 4, 2018.
- "No. 8: Jody Gerson - Power 100". Billboard. Retrieved 13 February 2018.
- "Zach Horowitz Appointed Chairman/CEO of Universal Music Publishing Group | Billboard". Billboard.biz. April 18, 2012. Retrieved 2013-12-03.
- "UMPG and Disney Music Publishing partnership goes global". musicweek.com. Retrieved April 4, 2018.
- Universal Music Publishing Group US
- Universal Music Publishing Group UK
- Universal Music Publishing Group Australia
- Universal Music Publishing Group Italy
- Universal Music Publishing Group Germany
- Universal Music Publishing Group Netherlands
- Universal Music Publishing Group Spain
- Universal Music Publishing Group Sweden
- Universal Publishing Production Music