Universal Parks & Resorts
|Subsidiary of NBCUniversal (A Division of Comcast)|
|Industry||Theme park operator|
|Founded||July 15, 1964|
|Headquarters||Orlando, Florida, United States|
|Thomas L. Williams
|Revenue||$12.989 billion in 2011[dated info]|
|$15 billion in 2015|
Number of employees
|Subsidiaries||Universal Orlando Resort
Universal Studios Hollywood
Universal Studios Japan (51%)
Universal Parks & Resorts, commonly and also known as Universal Studios Theme Parks or solely Universal Theme Parks, is the theme park subsidiary of NBCUniversal, a division of Comcast. The subsidiary, headquartered in Orlando, Florida, US, operates Universal theme parks and resort properties around the world. Universal Parks & Resorts is best known for attractions and lands based on famous classic and modern pop culture properties (movies, television, literature, cartoons, comics, video games, music, etc.) from not only NBCUniversal but also other companies.
In 2014, approximately 40.1 million guests visited Universal Studios theme parks, making it the third-largest amusement park operator in the world. It is a major competitor of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, SeaWorld Entertainment, and Merlin Entertainment.
Theme parks and resorts
- Universal Studios Hollywood (Los Angeles, California, United States; wholly owned)
- Universal Orlando Resort (Orlando, Florida, United States; wholly owned)
- Universal Studios Japan (Osaka, Japan USJ Co., Ltd. now 51% owned)
- Universal Studios Singapore (Resorts World Sentosa, Singapore; run by Genting Group)
- Universal PortAventura, Salou, Spain (1997–2004)
- Costa Caribe Aquatic Park, Salou, Spain (2002–2004)
These projects have been announced or are currently under construction.
- Volcano Bay, Orlando, Orlando (Opens 2017) Construction was already underway when Universal Orlando officially announced the project, and its name, on May 28, 2015.
- Universal Studios Beijing, Beijing, China (Opens 2019)
- Universal Studios South Korea (Opens 2020)
- Universal Studios Moscow, Moscow, Russia (Opens 2022)
- Universal Studios Dubailand, Dubai, United Arab Emirates (on-hold) (Broke ground 2008, no construction since 2009)
Theme park attractions and lands
Universal Studios incorporates replicas of attractions and lands in multiple parks around the world. The pages linked above contain comprehensive lists of the attractions and lands at Universal theme parks. Most of the attractions and lands are based on Universal licenses and other licensed properties.
- "Congratulations Universal Studios Hollywood Tram Tour 50 Years Old Today". MiceChat. 2014-07-15. Retrieved 2016-03-29.
- "Comcast 2011 Annual Report". Comcast.com. Retrieved March 17, 2013.
- Official website
- Lieberman, David. "Comcast Completes Acquisition Of GE’s 49% Stake In NBCUniversal." Deadline.com (March 19, 2013)
- Rubin, Judith; Au, Tsz Yin (Gigi); Chang, Beth; Cheu, Linda; Elsea, Daniel; LaClair, Kathleen; Lock, Jodie; Linford, Sarah; Miller, Erik; Nevin, Jennie; Papamichael, Margreet; Pincus, Jeff; Robinett, John; Sands, Brian; Selby, Will; Timmins, Matt; Ventura, Feliz; Yoshii, Chris. "TEA/AECOM 2014 Theme Index & Museum Index: The Global Attractions Attendance Report" (PDF). aecom.com. Themed Entertainment Association (TEA). Retrieved 4 June 2015.
- "Universal Studios Hollywood, Los Angeles, Hollywood". Universal Studios Hollywood. Retrieved August 21, 2010.
- "Theme Parks at Universal Orlando Resort". Universal Orlando. Retrieved August 21, 2010.
- "Universal Studios Japan Corporate Information". Universal Studios Japan. Retrieved November 7, 2012.
- "Resorts World Sentosa – Universal Studios Singapore". Resorts World Sentosa. Retrieved August 21, 2010.
- Caitlin Dineen (May 28, 2015). "Universal Orlando's Volcano Bay to open in 2017". orlandosentinel.com. Tribune Newspapers. Retrieved May 28, 2015.
- Los Angeles Times (October 13, 2014). "Universal Studios to open Beijing theme park in 2019". latimes.com.
- "InPark Magazine – Moscow City Government Approves Construction of Universal Studios Moscow". InPark Magazine. Archived from the original on March 13, 2014.
- Pogorelsky, Anton. "Строительство парка Universal в Южном Чертаново отложили до 2017 года" [CONSTRUCTION OF UNIVERSAL PARK IN SOUTH CHERTANOVO POSTPONED UNTIL 2017] (in Russian).
- "Universal Studios Dubailand: A Case Study on the Rise and Fall of Dubai". Fast Company. 24 August 2009.