Universe 1 (Silverberg anthology)
Cover of first edition
|Author||edited by Robert Silverberg and Karen Haber|
|Cover artist||Richard Kriegler|
|Media type||Print (hardcover)|
|Preceded by||Universe 17|
|Followed by||Universe 2|
Universe 1 is an anthology of original science fiction short stories edited by American writers Robert Silverberg and Karen Haber, the first volume in a series of three, continuing an earlier series of the same name edited by Terry Carr. It was first published in hardcover and trade paperback by Doubleday Foundation in June 1990. A standard paperback edition was issued by Bantam Spectra in April 1991.
The book collects twenty novelettes and short stories by various science fiction authors, together with an introduction by Silverberg.
- "Introduction" (Robert Silverberg)
- "The Translator" (Kim Stanley Robinson)
- "The City of Ultimate Freedom" (Geoffrey A. Landis)
- "The Shobies' Story" (Ursula K. Le Guin)
- "One Night in Television City" (Paul Di Filippo)
- "Playback" (Barry N. Malzberg)
- "Moon Blood" (M. J. Engh)
- "And of the Earth, a Womb" (John M. Landsberg)
- "Alimentary Tract" (Scott Baker)
- "The Songs the Anemone Sing" (Grania Davis)
- "Alien Used Cars" (Richard R. Smith)
- "O Time Your Pyramids" (Gregor Hartmann)
- "The Shores of Bohemia" (Bruce Sterling)
- "The Propagation of Light in a Vacuum" (James Patrick Kelly)
- "Whalesong" (Stoney Compton)
- "River of the Dying" (Augustine Funnell)
- "The Book of St. Farrin" (Jamil Nasir)
- "Bumpie (TM)" (Francis Valéry)
- "Love is a Drug" (Leah Alpert)
- "1099 A. G. F" (K. Hernandez-Brun)
- "Daniel's Labyrinth" (Damian Kilby)
The anthology placed fourth in the 1991 Locus Poll Award for Best Anthology.
"The Shores of Bohemia" placed eleventh in the 1991 Locus Poll Award for Best Novelette.