Universidad Empresarial de Costa Rica
Motto in English
|Chancellor||William Zamora Gonzalez|
|Location||San Jose, Costa Rica|
Universidad Empresarial de Costa Rica, also known as UNEM or Business University of Costa Rica, is a private university in the city of San José, Costa Rica. It is approved by the Consejo Nacional de Enseñanza Superior Universitaria Privada, the national council of higher education of Costa Rica, to award undergraduate degrees in accounting and business administration, and master's degrees in business administration.
The degree programs offered by UNEM are not among those accredited by the Sistema Nacional de Acreditación de la Educación Superior (SINAES), the national accreditation agency of Costa Rica. SINAES offers a voluntary accreditation process to Costa Rican Universities and accredits degree programs rather than universities. Nineteen of the fifty-eight Costa Rican universities are accredited by SINARES.
In 2013 the university was described by The Costa Rica Star as "infamous" for its involvement in several diploma mill allegations, in cases where students paid to receive degrees without following a course of study. The university has awarded PhD degrees to people in Germany and the United States. A 2008 investigation by Der Spiegel failed to find any legitimate campus or professors associated with UNEM.
UNEM was founded in 1992 as an international graduate school, and acquired its present name and status in 1997.
The university reported no graduates in 2007, and enrolled no students in 2010; it may be inactive.
Also in 2008, Yahya Jammeh, president of The Gambia, was awarded an Universidad Empresarial honorary professorship in traditional medicine by the International Parliament for Safety and Peace, a private Italian organisation.
Universidad Empresarial de Costa Rica was not among the five hundred top universities world-wide in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings for 2014–15, nor among the top five hundred in the Shanghai Academic Ranking of World Universities for 2014. It was not among the eight hundred universities in the QS World University Rankings for 2014, nor is it among the thirteen Costa Rican universities listed by Quacquarelli Symonds.
- Lista de Universidades Privadas aprobadas por el CONESUP (in Spanish). Ministerio de Educación Pública: Consejo Nacional de Enseñanza Superior Universitaria Privada (national council of higher education). Accessed October 2014.
- Nombre Universidad: 38 - Empresarial de Costa Rica (in Spanish). Ministerio de Educación Pública: Consejo Nacional de Enseñanza Superior Universitaria Privada (national council of higher education). Accessed October 2014.
- Instituciones miembros del SINAES (in Spanish). Sistema Nacional de Acreditación de la Educación Superior. Accessed December 2014.
- Accreditation in Latin America and the Caribbean: Costa Rica. Accessed July 2016.
- List of universities accredited by SINARES. Accessed July 2016.
- Jaime Lopez (12 August 2013). Quality of Education and Cost of Tuition Increase in Costa Rica: Sham Universities. The Costa Rica Star. Accessed December 2014.
- Oppong, Marvin (2008). "Umstrittene Titel: Professoren und Doktoren made in Costa Rica" [Controversial Degree: Professors and Doctors Made in Costa Rica]. Der Spiegel (in German).
- Business University of Costa Rica. International Association of Universities: Worldwide Database of Higher Education Institutions, Systems and Credentials. Accessed October 2014.
- Silvia P. Castro (2010). Costa Rican higher education, its universities and students. Doctoral dissertation, University of Pennsylvania. Accessed December 2014.
- Biography of Hun Sen
- Office of the Gambian President (19 November 2008). Officials of International Parliament for Safety and Peace Present Three International Awards to President Jammeh. State House, Republic of the Gambia. Accessed February 2015.
- World University Rankings 2014-2015. Times Higher Education World University Rankings. Accessed February 2015.
- Academic Ranking of World Universities 2014. Shanghai Ranking Consultancy. Accessed February 2015.
- QS World University Rankings 2014/15. QS Quacquarelli Symonds. Accessed February 2015.
- All Results. QS Quacquarelli Symonds. Accessed February 2015.
- Top 100 Universities in Latin America. Foreign Credits Inc. Accessed February 2015.[unreliable source?]
- Universities in Costa Rica. Foreign Credits Inc. Accessed February 2015.[unreliable source?]