Eduardo Mondlane University
|Portuguese: Universidade Eduardo Mondlane|
|Established||21 August 1962|
|Rector||Orlando António Quilambo, PhD|
The Eduardo Mondlane University (Portuguese: Universidade Eduardo Mondlane; UEM) is the oldest and largest university in Mozambique. The UEM is located in Maputo and has about 30,000 students enrolled.
The institution was set up as a center for higher education in 1962 in what was then Lourenço Marques, the capital of Portugal's overseas province of Mozambique. Founded by the time of Overseas Minister Adriano Moreira, it was called Estudos Gerais Universitários de Moçambique (Mozambique General University Studies) after Studium Generale; in 1968 it became the Universidade de Lourenço Marques (University of Lourenço Marques). After Mozambique became independent in 1975, the city was renamed "Maputo" and the university was renamed in honor of Frelimo leader Eduardo Mondlane in 1976.
All students at the Universidade Eduardo Mondlane are full-time, contact students, and there are no distance or part-time students. In 2006 the majority (14,141) are national citizens and the remainder (58) are international students from outside of the SADC region.
- Mari Alkatiri, The first Prime Minister of Timor Leste
- U. Aswathanarayana, Honorary Director of the Mahadevan International Centre for Water Resources Management, India
- Mia Couto, Mozambican author, poet, journalist, and biologist
- "Nota Histórica (History)" (in Portuguese). uem.mz.
- "Reitor da Universidade Eduardo Mondlane (Rector of Eduardo Mondlane University)" (in Portuguese). uem.mz.
- "UEM em números - 2012 (UEM in numbers - 2012)" (in Portuguese). uem.mz.
- "Member Universities". Association of African Universities. Archived from the original on 2012-07-19.
- Universidade Eduardo Mondlane Retrieved 31 October 2014
- History of Eduardo Mondlane University
- Universidade Eduardo Mondlane @ SARAU Retrieved 31 December 2011
|This African university, college or other education institution article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Mozambique-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|