|Type||Education and research|
|Headquarters||Birmingham, United Kingdom|
Universitas 21 (U21) is an international network of research-intensive universities. Founded in Melbourne, Australia in 1997 with 11 members, it has grown to include twenty-nine member universities in nineteen countries and territories.
The universities collaborate on student experience, researcher engagement and educational innovation. It offers various student competitions including the Three Minute Thesis (3MT), the U21/PwC Innovation Challenge and the RISE (Real Impact on Society and Environment) Showcase.
Since 2012, Universitas 21 has commissioned the "U21 Ranking of National Higher Education Systems". Produced by researchers at the University of Melbourne, this ranking aims to show which countries create a "strong environment" that allows universities to contribute to growth, provide a high-quality student experience and help institutions compete globally. It evaluates the standing of national higher education systems by providing rankings in four broad areas: resources, environment, connectivity and output. The rankings are then combined to provide an overall ranking. The ranking is then adjusted by GDP per capita, which allows countries to be compared to others at a similar stage of economic development. The 2013 study, which serves as the primary reference for the Universitas 21 Ranking of National Higher Education Systems, reveals that countries with high output rankings generally demonstrate strong resource indicators. It further establishes a positive correlation between research output and government funding, specifically in research and development (R&D). 
Universitas 21 has Consultative Status with the Economic & Social Affairs Council (ECOSOC).
In late 2007, Cengage Learning sold its entire 50% in U21Global share to Mauritius-based Manipal Universal Learning International for an undisclosed sum. In 2010, the Universitas 21 shareholding was diluted to 25 per cent, with only 10 universities continuing to hold equity. The university now trades as GlobalNxt University and has no remaining connection with Universitas 21.
- "About Universitas 21". www.universitas21.com. Retrieved 8 May 2018.
- "Universitas 21 | Global Maryland, University of Maryland". globalmaryland.umd.edu. Retrieved 19 November 2017.
- "Universitas 21 | UNSW Current Students". student.unsw.edu.au. Retrieved 19 November 2017.
- "About Universitas 21". universitas21.com. Retrieved 8 October 2023.
- "Member List". www.universitas21.com. Retrieved 8 October 2023.
- "UK is 10th among best global environments for universities". 11 May 2012.
- Williams et al. (2013), p.600.
- "U21 Ranking of National Higher Education Systems 2020| Universitas 21". universitas21.com. Retrieved 16 January 2021.
- Williams, Ross; de Rassenfosse, Gaétan; Jensen, Paul; Marginson, Simon (2013). "The determinants of quality national higher education systems". Journal of Higher Education Policy and Management. 35 (6): 599–611.
- "UNITED NATIONS ECONOMIC and SOCIAL COUNCIL". www.un.org. Retrieved 1 November 2019.
- Staff Writer (14 November 2007). "Manipal group buys 50% in online varsity". livemint. Retrieved 3 April 2020.
- Trounson, Andrew (27 January 2010). "Manipal to Control U21Global". The Australian. Retrieved 18 September 2013.