|Rector Magnificus||Prof. dr. (E.H.L.) Emile Aarts|
|1.695 fte (2018)|
Warandelaan 2, Tilburg,
|Affiliations||EUA / AACSB / VSNU|
Tilburg University is a public research university specializing in the social and behavioral sciences, economics, law, business sciences, theology and humanities, located in Tilburg in the southern part of the Netherlands.
Tilburg University has a student population of about 14,300 students, about 15 percent of whom are international students. This percentage has steadily increased over the past years. Tilburg University offers both Dutch-and English-taught programs. In 2018, 45 of the total 70 (22 bachelor and 48 master programs) were English-taught. Tilburg University awards approximately 70 PhDs per year.
The institution has gained a reputation in both research and education. In the field of economics, REPEC in October 2017 ranked the Faculty of Economics and Business Administration as the 25th most productive research department in the world, and the 7th in Europe. According to the 2017 Shanghai Ranking, Tilburg University is ranked 5th in the field of Business Administration and 8th in the field of Finance worldwide. In the field of law, Tilburg University was ranked #1 in the Netherlands for the last three years according to Elsevier Magazine. Furthermore, the School of Social and Behavioral Sciences offers a unique two-year master program in Medical Psychology (in Dutch), in which students are trained as scientist practitioners in the medical setting.
Tilburg University was founded in 1927, as the Roomsch Katholieke Handelshoogeschool (Roman Catholic University of Commerce), being located in the southern, Catholic part of The Netherlands, visible in its second change of name in 1938: Katholieke Economische Hogeschool (Catholic Economic University). In 1963 the university was once again renamed, as Katholieke Hogeschool Tilburg (Catholic University Tilburg), followed by a name change to Katholieke Universiteit Brabant (Catholic University Brabant). Although in its present name Tilburg University, the word Catholic was dropped, the university is still regarded as a Catholic university.
On April 28, 1969, students barricaded the campus buildings, demanding educational and organizational changes. Months before students had unofficially renamed the university Karl Marx University, painting this title across campus to accentuate the importance of Marxist ideas in the then primarily economics-oriented curriculum. These protests led to a widespread change in higher education across the Netherlands that was made official by the 1971 bill of Educational Reform, granting more joint decision making to students of Dutch universities.
|ARWU World||401-500 (2014)|
|THE World||195 (2018)|
|USNWR World||491 (2018)|
|QS World||357 (2018)|
Tilburg University is a specialized university and has a strong focus on social sciences. In 2017 Times Higher Education (THE) ranked it as 21st in Economics & Business and 36th in Law. Shanghai (ARWU) ranking lists it as 5th best university in business administration in the world, 8th in finance, 29th in management and 30th in economics.
The Tilburg School of Economics and Management (founded in 1927) is the oldest and largest faculty of the university. The other four faculties—Law (1963), Social and Behavioural Sciences (1963), Philosophy and Theology (1967), Arts (1981)—were founded more recently. In addition to these faculties, Tilburg University has a number of research centers and graduate schools (see below).
Tilburg University offers a wide range of undergraduate studies, some of which are English-taught.
Tilburg School of Economics and Management
- International Business Administration
- Business Economics
- Econometrics and Operations Research
- Fiscal Economics
Tilburg Law School
School of Social and Behavioral Sciences
- Human Resources Studies
- Organisation Studies
- Psychology (medical psychology, neuropsychology, pediatric psychology, clinical psychology, social psychology, cultural psychology)
- Global Management of Social Issues
School of Humanities
- Communication and Information Sciences
- Online Culture (General Culture Studies)
- Online Culture: Art, Media and Society
School of Theology
University College Tilburg
Joint Bachelor Data Science (in cooperation with Eindhoven University of Technology)
Research centres and institutes
- Babylon – Centre for Studies of the Multicultural Society
- CentER – Center for Economic Research
- CentER Applied Research
- Center for Innovation Research
- Centre for Intercultural Ethics
- Centre for Religious Communication
- Center for Language Studies
- CoRPS – Center of Research on Psychology in Somatic diseases
- Centrum voor Maatschappelijk Ondernemen
- FIT – Tilburg Institute of Fiscal Law
- Globus – Institute for Globalization and Sustainable Development
- Infolab – Research group on Information and Communication Technology
- INTERVICT – International Victimology Institute Tilburg
- IVA – Tilburg Institute for Social Policy Research and Consultancy
- IVO – Development Research Institute
- Liturgical Institute
- Center for Meta-Research
- Netspar – Network for Studies on Pensions, Aging and Retirement
- Nexus Institute
- Oldendorff Research Institute and Graduate School – Social and Behavioural Sciences
- OSA – Institute for Labour Studies
- TCE – Tilburg Center of Entrepreneurship
- Tilburg Graduate Law school (formerly Schoordijk Institute) – Institute of Jurisprudence and Comparative Law
- Brabant Institute for Sustainability Issues
- TIBER – Tilburg Institute for Behavioral Economics Research
- Ticer – Tilburg Innovation Centre for Electronic Resources
- TiCC – Tilburg Centre for Cognition and Communication
- TICOM – Tilburg Institute of Comparative and Transnational Law
- Tilburg Center of Finance
- TISCO – Tilburg Institute for Interdisciplinary Studies of Civil Law and Conflict Resolution Systems
- TILT – Tilburg Institute for Law, Technology, and Society
- TILEC –Tilburg Law and Economics Centre
- TiLPS – Tilburg Center for Logic and Philosophy of Science
- Tisser – Tilburg Institute for Social and Socio-Economic Research
Research and graduate schools
- CentER Graduate School (Economics and Business Administration)
- Research school for legislative studies (Law)
Notable alumni and faculty
- Wim de Bie – writer, satirist, comedian
- Lans Bovenberg – economist
- Wim van de Donk – politician
- Afshin Ellian – professor of law, philosopher, poet, critic of Islam
- Max Euwe – chess Grandmaster, mathematician, former President of FIDE
- Ernst Hirsch Ballin – former Dutch Minister of Justice
- Geert Hofstede – social psychologist, anthropologist (see Hofstede's cultural dimensions theory)
- Servais Knaven – cyclist
- Ruud Lubbers – former Prime Minister of the Netherlands, United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (2001–2005)
- Paul Scheffer
- Norbert Schmelzer – former Dutch Minister of Foreign Affairs
- Diederik Stapel – founder of the Tilburg Institute for Behavioral Economics Research, later dismissed for fabricating data.
- Max van der Stoel – politician, first High Commissioner of Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe
- Cees Veerman – former Dutch Minister of Agriculture
- Herman Wijffels – economist and politician
- In 2002, Tilburg University awarded honorary doctorates to Kofi Annan and Prof. Ariel Rubinstein in the presence of Queen Beatrix and Crown Prince Willem-Alexander.
- Willem Witteveen – legal scholar, politician, and author
- Joseph A. McCahery – corporate lawyers, researcher and institutional adviser
- Ralph Hamers – Dutch businessman, the chief executive officer (CEO) of ING Group since October 2013
- firstname.lastname@example.org. "Economics rankings: Economics Departments - IDEAS/RePEc". ideas.repec.org. Retrieved 11 April 2018.
- "Tilburg University – Searchresults". Retrieved 31 May 2015.
- Academic Ranking of World Universities - Tilburg University
- QS World University Rankings 2018
- World University Rankings 2018
- U.S. News Education: Best Global Universities 2018
- "World University Rankings 2018 by subject: business and economics". timeshighereducation.com. 12 September 2017. Retrieved 11 April 2018.
- https://www.timeshighereducation.com/world-university-rankings/2018/subject-ranking/law#!/page/0/length/100/sort_by/rank/sort_order/asc/cols/stats in the world
- "ShanghaiRanking's Global Ranking of Academic Subjects 2017 - Finance - Shanghai Ranking - 2017". www.shanghairanking.com. Retrieved 11 April 2018.
- "ShanghaiRanking's Global Ranking of Academic Subjects 2017 - Management - Shanghai Ranking - 2017". www.shanghairanking.com. Retrieved 11 April 2018.
- "ShanghaiRanking's Global Ranking of Academic Subjects 2017 - Economics - Shanghai Ranking - 2017". www.shanghairanking.com. Retrieved 11 April 2018.