University of Brunei Darussalam
|Universiti Brunei Darussalam (UBD)|
|Latin: Universitas Bruneiensis|
|يونيبرسيتي بروني دارالسلام|
|Motto||Ke Arah Kesempurnaan Insan|
Motto in English
|Towards Human Perfection|
|Founder||Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah|
|Affiliation||ASAIHL, AUN, EM, FUIW, iCUBE and UMAP|
|Chancellor||Chancellor-Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah|
|Vice-Chancellor||Anita Binurul Zahrina binti Awang Abdul Aziz|
|Location||Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei-Muara, Brunei|
|Language||English, Malay and Arabic|
Universiti Brunei Darussalam (Abbreviation: UBD; Malay: Universiti Brunei Darussalam; Jawi: يونيبرسيتي بروني دارالسلام) is Brunei's oldest university. It is the largest university in the country in terms of student enrollment and curriculum offered.
UBD was established in 1985, opening its doors to the first intake of 176 students. Since then, UBD has seen an increase in the number of graduates, the introduction of new academic programmes, the enhancement of infrastructure and the development of graduate studies.
The university moved to its current location, Tungku Link, in 1995. There are eight academic faculties, nine research institutes and six academic service centres ranging from Islamic Studies, Business, Arts, Science, Health Sciences, Asian Studies, Policy Studies, Education, Biodiversity and Integrated Technologies.
UBD opened its doors to international students from its inception. Over the years, there has been an increase in diversity, with many students coming from East Asia (China and Japan), Europe, Africa and the Middle East. Today, UBD offers a range of programmes to enhance international relations, such as the Brunei-US Enrichment Programme for ASEAN and the Discovery Year programme, which encourages students to go abroad during the third year of their undergraduate programme.
Admissions to UBD is extremely competitive. Brunei had only 4 large universities that offer undergraduate and graduate studies, but 2 of them are religious universities, local applicants could only apply through online service known as HECAS (Higher Education Centralised Admission System) where the representatives of Ministry of Education and local universities to pick only qualified students that meet the requirements of points of specific exams such as General Cambridge Education A-Level Examinations.
Faculties and institutes
- Academy of Brunei Studies (APB)
- Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences (FASS)
- UBD School of Business and Economics (UBDSBE)
- Faculty of Science (FOS)
- Faculty of Integrated Technologies (FIT)
- Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah Institute of Education (SHBIE)
- PAPRSB Institute of Health Sciences (PAPRSB IHS)
- Institute of Asian Studies (IAS)
- Institute for Leadership, Innovation and Advancement (ILIA)
- Institute of Policy Studies (IPS)
- SOAS Centre for Islamic Studies (SOASCIS)
- e-Government Innovation Centre (eGInC)
- UBD|IBM Centre
- Institute for Biodiversity and Environmental Research (IBER)
- Centre for Advanced Material and Energy Sciences (CAMES)
- Centre for Advance Research (CARe)
- Language Centre (LC)
- Centre for Lifelong Learning (C3L)
UBD currently offers five undergraduate degree programmes:
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Health Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Engineering
UBD offers graduate degrees (Masters by coursework or by research and PhD) in the following disciplines:
- Islamic Civilisation and Contemporary Issues
- Islamic Banking and Finance
- Energy Studies
- Computing and New Media
- Crop Science
- Primary Health Care
- Brunei Studies
- Malay Language and Linguistics
- Art, Professional Communication and Media
The MRCGP (International) examinations were first established in the Institute of Medicine in 2005 after Brunei Darussalam was awarded host body status by the Royal College of General Practitioners (RCGP), UK. Membership of the RCGP has long been established and recognized as the standard assessment for family doctors. Brunei Darussalam is the first host examining body in the region and has successfully conducted the exams since 2005.
Construction on the University Mosque (Masjid Universiti) began in 1992 on a site of 2 hectares of land, and was completed in 1994, with a total cost of BND $7,600,000. The mosque was officially opened in 1995 by His Majesty Sultan Haji Hassanal Bolkiah. It has a capacity of 1800. The mosque is mainly used for religious activities carried out by the university and it also serves daily prayers for the Muslims students and the surrounding locals.
- HRH Princess Rashidah Sa'adatul Bolkiah
- HRH Princess Majeedah Nuurul Bolkiah
- HRH Crown Princess Sarah
- HRH Princess Hajah Hafizah Sururul Bolkiah
- HRH Prince Abdul Malik
- "International Students of Universiti Brunei Darussalam".
- "Brunei-US enrichment programme for ASEAN".
- "Discovery Year programme".
- Ministry of Religious Affairs of Brunei Darussalam. "Universiti Brunei Darussalam's Mosque". Retrieved 2012-02-16.
- "QS University Rankings: Asia 2016". Quacquarelli Symonds Limited. 2016. Retrieved July 11, 2016.
- "Princess Sarah gets First Class Honours". Retrieved 2011-02-13.