Universiti Malaysia Sarawak
||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (May 2015)|
|Universiti Malaysia Sarawak|
|Motto||Kontemporari dan Berpandangan Jauh|
Motto in English
|Contemporary & Forward Looking|
|Established||24 December 1992|
|Chancellor||TYT Tun Pehin Sri Haji Abdul Taib Mahmud
Yang di-Pertua Negeri Sarawak
|Vice-Chancellor||YBhg Prof Dato' Dr Mohamad Kadim bin Suaidi|
|Location||Kota Samarahan, Sarawak, Malaysia|
|Campus||Main campus in Kota Samarahan|
Universiti Malaysia Sarawak (English: University of Malaysia, Sarawak) or UNIMAS was officially incorporated on 24 December 1992. UNIMAS is Malaysia's eighth University, established just after the declaration of Vision 2020. Recently, UNIMAS has been ranked at 165th in Asian University Rankings 2011 by QS World University Rankings.
The University took in its first students numbering 118 in 1993 with the opening of the Faculty of Social Sciences and Faculty of Resource Science and Technology. These students were temporarily located at Kolej Latihan Telekom, Simpang Tiga, Kuching until in 1994 the University moved to its East Campus in Kota Samarahan, Sarawak. The University’s East Campus at Kota Samarahan was officially launched by the Prime Minister, YAB Dato’Seri Dr. Mahathir Mohamad on Independence Day, 31 August 1993.
At present, the University consists of eight Faculties, three Institutes and seven Centres.
UNIMAS was awarded MS ISO 9001: 2008 quality certificate by SIRIM QAS International Sdn. Bhd. and IQNet on 13 May 2010 for its core management process at Undergraduate Studies Division (BPPs) and Centre for Academic Information Services (CAIS).
UNIMAS has implemented and maintains an Information Security Management System(ISMS) which fulfills the requirement of ISO/IEC 27001:2005 and MS ISO/IEC 27001:2007 standards. The scope covers the areas for the management of UNIMAS Data Centre covering equipment, system software, database and operating systems for the university's critical applications. The certification was issued to UNIMAS on 27 September 2013.
An international competition was held for the masterplan design of the West Campus. The winning design was by Peter Verity (PDRc) the international architect, who after detailed environmental analysis chose the site for the West Campus. The objective of the plan was to create an environmentally sustainable urban campus which, in the manner of Louvain-la-Neuve, would form the centre of a significant university new town. The interface between the fresh water and saltwater systems of the site are expected to give the opportunity to create a biodiversity of considerable richness
The opening of the new West Campus by Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Haji Ahmad Badawi on 18 April 2006 was witnessed by 10,000 students, staff and members of the public. The event was also broadcast live over RTM1.
- Vice-Chancellor - Prof Dato' Dr Mohamad Kadim bin Suaidi
- Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic & International) - Professor Dr Wan Hashim Wan Ibrahim
- Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Student Affairs & Alumni) - Professor Mohd Fadzil bin Abdul Rahman
- Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research & Innovation) - Professor Dr Kopli Bujang
- Registrar - Tuan Hj. Abu Bakar Ibrahim
- Bursar - Tuan Hj. Mazlan Kiflie
- Development Director - Mr. Humphrey Rayang Janang
- Chief Librarian - Mdm. Margaret Simeng
- Corporate Planning & Communications Director - Dr Fitri Suraya Mohamad
- Legal Officer - Ms Mavis Goh
Niche Areas of Research and Development
UNIMAS commitment to research has already been recognised by the stakeholders and partners in industry by the provision of endowments for the establishment of eight research chairs; these include the Tun Zaidi Chair for Medicinal Chemistry, the Tun Openg Chair for Sago Technology, the Shell Chair for Environmental Studies, and the Sapura Chair for ICT.
Today, UNIMAS’ research is focused on at least three niche areas of research:
- Biotechnological research in epidemiology (dengue, JE, FMHD, malaria), biogeography (phylogenetics) and agriculture (sago);
- ICT, specifically on rural communication and image analysis; and
- Biodiversity, natural resource and environmental management.
- Image Analysis and Spatial Technologies
Award-Winning Research and Projects
International awards received (in recent years) in research/innovations include:
- 11 Gold Medals at British Invention Show 2012
- 7 Gold Medals at Seoul International Invention Fair 2011
- Industry Innovators Award for System Development and Applications awarded by Society of Satellite Professionals International (E-Bario Project)
- E Asia Award under category Bridging Digital Divide (E-Bario Project)
- Mondialogo Engineering Award 2005: Special Jury Recognition Award
- 34th Geneva International Invention Exposition 2006 — Special Award, Gold, Silver and Bronze
- Gold Medal for E-Bario Project — Commonwealth Association for Public Administration and Management (CAPAM), 2006, Australia
The project set out to define the extent to which contemporary ICTs could deliver sustainable human development to remote rural communities in Sarawak. It aims to identify further needs and opportunities within such communities that can be satisfied by the innovative use of ICTs and, through action–oriented measures, to demonstrate how significant and sustainable development can be achieved by remote communities through such implementations. Bario was chosen for the research on the basis that it is highly isolated and remote, and that UNIMAS is known to the community from previous research into the bio-diversity of its locale. The community in Bario readily expressed its willingness to participate. The intention, however, is to work with several remote communities throughout Sarawak.
The UNIMAS Student Representative Council (Malay: Majlis Perwakilan Pelajar UNIMAS or MPP UNIMAS) is the student representative body for students at the University Malaysia Sarawak, Malaysia. It is the ultimate legislative body among the students. A general election is held every year to elect representatives to the Student Representative Council.
UNIMAS Institutional Repository (IR) is developed to collect, preserve, manage and disseminate the digital intellectual output and property of the entire University with the objective of increasing the visibility of UNIMAS authors and researchers. The Centre for Academic Information Services (CAIS) is responsible in establishing, collaborating, managing, maintaining and disseminating the content of the Repository. Access to the content is subjected to the Access Policy. UNIMAS IR can be accessed via http://ir.unimas.my
- QAD. "UNIMAS MS ISO Expansion". Retrieved 31 December 2012.
- "World Architecture".
- BERNAMA. "Lessons Through Teleconferencing For Schools In Remote Areas". Retrieved 31 December 2012.
- Sarawak Tribune. "Varsity’s impressive presence at British Invention Show".
- The Borneo Post. "Unimas to organise R&D expo from March 21-22".
- "Community based ICT project in rural Borneo wins international award".
- "Mondialogo Engineering Award - Symposium and Award Ceremony in Berlin, 27-31 May 2005".
- "All the eight products exhibited by UNIMAS at the 34th Geneva International Invention Exposition (5–9 April 2006) received awards. Apart from winning 4 gold, 3 silver and 1 bronze medal, UNIMAS was the only Malaysian university participant accredited with Special Certificates for Excellent Achievement." Geneva Awards.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Universiti Malaysia Sarawak.|