This article does not cite any sources. (May 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The University Belt is the unofficial name of a de facto subdistrict in Manila, Philippines. It refers to the area where there is a high concentration or a cluster of colleges and universities in the city.
The University Belt is commonly understood as the one located, mainly, in San Miguel district. But technically it also includes nearby Sampaloc, Quiapo, and Santa Cruz. Generally, it includes the western end of España Boulevard, Nicanor B. Reyes Street (formerly Morayta Street), the eastern end of Recto Avenue (formerly Azcarraga Street), Legarda Street, Mendiola Street, and the different side streets. Each of the colleges and universities found here are at a short walking distance of each other.
However, Manila also has other clusters of universities and colleges, such as the one found in the long stretch of Taft Avenue from Ermita through Malate, although not as compact, and another one found inside the walled city of Intramuros, although not as many as the one found in San Miguel.
Nevertheless, the three clusters are close enough together that many consider it as one huge University Belt. All are found within no more than four miles (six kilometers), in an irregular crescent string shape, across seven of the sixteen districts of Manila.
- Arellano University
- Centro Escolar University
- College of the Holy Spirit Manila
- De Ocampo Memorial Colleges
- Eulogio "Amang" Rodriguez Institute of Science and Technology
- Far Eastern University
- FEATI University
- Guzman College of Science and Technology
- La Consolacion College Manila
- Manila Business College
- Manila Law College
- Manuel L. Quezon University
- Mary Chiles College
- National Teachers College
- National University (Philippines)
- Philippine College of Criminology
- Philippine College of Health Sciences
- Philippine School of Business Administration
- PMI Colleges (formerly Philippine Maritime Institute)
- Polytechnic University of the Philippines
- Saint Jude College
- Saint Rita College (Manila)
- San Beda University
- San Sebastian College – Recoletos de Manila
- STI College Recto Campus
- Technological Institute of the Philippines
- University of the East
- University of Manila
- University of Santo Tomas
The University Belt is near Malacañan Palace, thus, protesters would often pass by the colleges and universities on their way to Mendiola Street and the Chino Roces Bridge, a frequent venue of rallies.
All institutions are all located along or near Taft Avenue stretching from Ermita to Malate, with a distance long of 2.25 miles (3.60 kilometers) from Universidad de Manila in the north to De La Salle University in the south.
- Adamson University
- De La Salle – College of Saint Benilde
- De La Salle University
- Emilio Aguinaldo College
- Philippine Christian University
- Philippine Normal University
- Philippine Women's University
- Saint Paul University Manila
- St. Scholastica's College Manila
- Santa Isabel College Manila
- Technological University of the Philippines
- Universidad de Manila
- University of the Philippines Manila
All institutions are located within the walled city of Intramuros. It also lies very close in the northern tip of the Taft Ave. cluster.
- Colegio de San Juan de Letran
- Lyceum of the Philippines University
- Mapúa University
- Pamantasan ng Lungsod ng Maynila
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to University Belt, Manila.|