University City (Charlotte neighborhood)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2007) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|• City Council||Greg Phipps (Democratic Party)|
|Time zone||EST (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|Zip Code||28213, 28262, 28269|
|Area code(s)||704, 980|
|Website||University City Partners|
|Quality of Life Dashboard|
University City (sometimes University Area or U-City) is an edge city mostly within the city limits of Charlotte, North Carolina, United States, surrounding the University of North Carolina at Charlotte campus. It is found in northeastern Mecklenburg County, southeast of Interstate 85 and predominantly along University City Boulevard (NC 49) and W.T. Harris Boulevard (NC 24). Interstate 485 and US 29 (N. Tryon Street) also pass through the area. It is neighbored by the town of Harrisburg to the east and the city of Concord to the northeast. Attractions along University City's outskirts include Charlotte Motor Speedway and Concord Mills Mall.
University City is home to the University Research Park (located on the other side of I-85), one of the largest research parks in the state, and the PNC Music Pavilion. IKEA opened a store in University City on February 18, 2009. This is the first and only IKEA in the Carolinas.
The University City area of Charlotte contains large companies such as TIAA-CREF which help contribute to the city's prowess in the financial industry.
University City is also one of three Municipal Service Districts in Charlotte.
University City has an estimated population of more than 160,000 within its unofficial borders, which includes parts of Charlotte, Concord and Harrisburg. Were it to be separated from the rest of Charlotte as its own city, University City would be North Carolina's seventh largest city.
- Cannon School, located in nearby Concord, serves University City families
- Countryside Montessori, located in University City, serves University City families
- Northside Christian Academy, located in University City, serves University City families
- "Greg Phipps, District 4 Representative". City of Charlotte. Retrieved 6 July 2014.
- "Demographics by the Numbers" (PDF). University City Partners. Retrieved 6 July 2014.
- Charlotte Observer: IKEA vote set for tonight (May 21, 2007)
- City of Charlotte: Municipal Service District Fact Sheet (October 21, 2008)
- University City travel guide from Wikivoyage
- University City Partners - Official municipal service district website
- Newcomer - Charlotte - East by Northeast