University City High School (San Diego)
|University High School San Diego|
6949 Genesee Avenue
(Seize the day)
|School district||San Diego Unified School District|
|Color(s)||Columbia blue, navy blue, and white|
|Athletics conference||CIF San Diego Section|
University City High School (UCHS) is a comprehensive four-year public high school located in the University City section of San Diego, California, United States. It is part of the San Diego Unified School District. The school opened in September 1981. The school was ranked 222nd in 2008 and 297th in 2009 on Newsweek's list of Best U.S. Public High Schools. In 2013, The Washington Post ranked the school as the 602nd most challenging high school in America.
UCHS offers a wide range of instructional programs. The Advanced Placement Program, Gifted and Talented Education (GATE) Program, the seminar program, and the special education program address the needs of identified students. UCHS students have the opportunity to take visual and performing arts courses and practical arts courses.
The school offers 15 AP classes: Biology, Chemistry, Environmental Science, Physics C, Statistics, US Government, US History, World History, English Language and Composition, English Literature and Composition, Art History, Studio Art, Psychology, French Language, and Spanish Language. The school also participates in the Accelerated College Program with San Diego Mesa College to offer Calculus, Linear Algebra, Discrete Mathematics, and Political Science. These classes are taught by Mesa College professors on the University City High School campus. The school also provides some performance programs, such as breakdancing and freestyle dance.
- UCHS Badminton - CIF Champion: 2015, 2017
- UCHS Boys' Varsity Soccer - CIF Champions: 2004, 2005, 2011, 2013, 2017
- UCHS Boys' Varsity Soccer - 2011: State semi-finalists
- UCHS Boys' Varsity Basketball - 2011: Centurions 1st Division III CIF
- UCHS Girls' Varsity Softball - 2011, 2010, 2009 CIF Champions
- UCHS Boys' Varsity Track and Field - 2011 CIF Champions
- UCHS Baseball - 2007 CIF Champions
Logos and school colors
The color palette of the school, as well as their three primary logos, the UC Script, the Centurion, and the UC block logo, are given below. The block logo is used as the "Varsity Letter" style for all varsity letter-earning athletes.
- Rhett Bernstein - soccer player
- Matt Brock - professional football player in the National Football League
- Kent Ninomiya - TV news anchor, reporter and executive
- Tyler Saladino - professional baseball player for the Milwaukee Brewers
- Félix Sánchez - two-time Olympic gold medalist
- Tim Patrick - NFL wide receiver for the Denver Broncos
- Kyle Holder - shortstop in the New York Yankees organization
- "Christina Casillas, Ed.D. Vice Principal (A - Li)". Retrieved 2013-03-19.
- "University City High". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved November 25, 2018.
- "University City". The Washington Post. America's Most Challenging High Schools. 2013. Retrieved 22 April 2013.
- http://www.usctrojans.com/sports/m-otrack/mtt/sanchez_felix00.html Archived 2011-07-25 at the Wayback Machine. USC Bio