Vancouver School Board
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|School District 39 Vancouver|
|1580 West Broadway, Vancouver
Vancouver, University Endowment Lands in Metro/Coast
|Students and staff|
Vancouver School Board (VSB, also School District #39) is a school district based in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. A board of nine trustees normally manages this district that serves the city of Vancouver and the University Endowment Lands.
The Vancouver school district is a large, urban and multicultural school district providing programs to 56,000 students in kindergarten to grade 12, over 3,000 adults in adult education programs and over 40,000 in continuing education. On Oct 17, 2016 BC Liberal Party government's Education Minister, Mike Bernier, dismissed the publicly-elected School Board for "failing to balance" the district budget, ironic since the BC Liberal government's own crown corporations' budgets' "deferrals" constitute billions of dollars of BC government provincial deficit.
The Ministry of Education launched a seismic upgrading program in March 2005 to upgrade schools all over British Columbia. The program is quoted to cost a total of $1.5 billion. The following schools in the Vancouver School Board are supported to proceed with seismic mitigation in 2015: Killarney Secondary, David Thompson Secondary, Maple Grove Elementary, Lord Tennyson Elementary, Dr. Annie B. Jamieson Elementary, Eric Hamber Secondary, Point Grey Secondary, Renfrew Community Elementary, Sir Alexander MacKenzie Elementary, Waverley Elementary, Edith Cavell Elementary, Prince of Wales Secondary, Templeton Secondary, General Wolf Elementary, David Lloyd George Elementary, Bayview Community Elementary.
Elementary Annex Schools
- Champlain Heights Annex
- Charles Dickens Annex
- Collingwood Neighbourhood (Bruce Annex)
- Garibaldi Annex (Nelson Annex)
- Henderson Annex (Not enrolling any students or classes as of September 2016.)
- Kerrisdale Annex
- Maquinna Annex (Not enrolling any students or classes as of September 2015.)
- McBride Annex
- Queen Elizabeth Annex (Jules Quesnel Annex)
- Queen Victoria (Secord Annex)
- Roberts Annex
- Selkirk Annex
- Sir James Douglas Annex
- Sir Wilfrid Laurier Annex (Not enrolling any students or classes as of September 2016.)
- Tecumseh Annex
- Tillicum Annex (Hastings Annex)
- David Thompson
- Eric Hamber
- John Oliver
- King George
- Lord Byng
- Point Grey
- Prince of Wales
- Sir Charles Tupper
- Sir Winston Churchill
- University Hill
- Vancouver Learning Network - Secondary
- Vancouver Technical
Alternative Program Education Sites
- 8J/9J Program
- Aries Program
- Byng Satellite Program
- Cedar Walk Program
- East Side Program
- Epic Program
- Foundations program
- Genesis Broadway
- Genesis North East
- Genesis South
- Hamber House Adolescent Day Treatment program
- Outreach Program
- Pinnacle Program
- Streetfront Program
- Sunrise East Program
- Take A Hike Program
- The West Program
- Total Education Program
- Tupper Young Parents Alternative Program
- Vinery Program
- Waverley Annex Learning Hub - Spectrum
- West Coast Alternative Program
- The University Transition Program is an early university entrance program that is located in University of British Columbia. Students of this program have access to most UBC facilities, and also possess UBC ID cards.
- TREK Outdoor Education Program
- International Baccalaureate programs at Britannia Secondary School and Sir Winston Churchill Secondary School
- City School
- Aboriginal Education
Mini schools are enriched programs for highly motivated students. Each year over 1300 students apply for approximately 600 grade 8 spots. Admission is based on admission test marks, grade 7 report cards, applications, and interviews.
Mini schools in Vancouver include Britannia Venture Program, Britannia Hockey Academy, Byng Arts Mini School, David Thompson Odyssey Program, Gladstone Mini School, Hamber Challenge Program, Ideal Mini School, John Oliver Digital Immersion Mini School, Killarney Mini School, King George Technology Immersion, Point Grey Mini School, Prince of Wales Mini School, Synergy at Churchill, Templeton Mini School, Tupper Mini, Vancouver Technical Flex Humanities Program, Vancouver Technical Summit Program, Windermere Leadership, and Windermere Athena Arts Program.
In June 2014 the Vancouver School Board adopted a new policy regarding transgender children. The update in the policy intends to support transgender and LGBTQ in allowing them be called by the name they identify with. They will also be able to use whichever washroom they feel most comfortable in.
Trustees of the Vancouver School Board are elected under an at-large system. All positions on the board have been vacant since October 17, 2016 when the elected board was removed by Education Minister Mike Bernier for failing to pass a balanced budget.
- Sherlock, Tracy. "B.C. school shutdown has China 'concerned'." Vancouver Sun. September 12, 2014. Retrieved on December 25, 2014.
- "School District Profile" (PDF).
- Schools | Vancouver School Board
- "Aboriginal Education". Vancouver School Board. Retrieved 30 January 2015.
- "Mini Schools Frequently Asked Questions". Vancouver School Board. Retrieved 26 June 2011.
- "Mini School Registration". Vancouver School Board. Retrieved 26 June 2011.
- "Transgender Policy Adopted by Vancouver School Board". Retrieved 29 January 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Vancouver School Board.|