University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust
University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust, commonly known as University Hospital Southampton operates the Southampton General Hospital, the Princess Anne maternity hospital, Southampton Children’s Hospital, Countess Mountbatten House (a palliative care service), and the New Forest Birth Centre at Ashurst, Hampshire. It also provides a few services at the Royal South Hants Hospital.
In 2016 the trust established a subsidiary company, UHS Estates Limited. The intention was to achieve VAT benefits, as well as pay bill savings, by recruiting new staff on less expensive non-NHS contracts. VAT benefits arise because NHS trusts can only claim VAT back on a small subset of goods and services they buy. The Value Added Tax Act 1994 provides a mechanism through which NHS trusts can qualify for refunds on contracted out services.
The trust has one of the 11 Genomics Medicines Centres associated with Genomics England which will open across England in February 2014. All the data produced in the 100,000 Genomes project will be made available to drugs companies and researchers to help them create precision drugs for future generations.
It is one of the biggest provider of specialised services in England, which generated an income of £262.2 million in 2014/5.
It was named by the Health Service Journal as one of the top hundred NHS trusts to work for in 2015. At that time it had 8280 full-time equivalent staff and a sickness absence rate of 3.45%. 77% of staff recommend it as a place for treatment and 68% recommended it as a place to work.
In October 2018 it was reported that more than 7,000 ophthalmology patients had not been given appropriate follow up appointments. The trust said there had been a 5% rise in patients every year and demand had outstripped capacity in most NHS trusts.
- "Royal South Hants". University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust. Retrieved 17 September 2018.
- "In full: Trusts with staff transfer plans". Health Service Journal. 14 February 2017. Retrieved 15 February 2018.
- "NHS DNA scheme to fight cancer and genetic diseases". BBC News. 22 December 2014. Retrieved 22 December 2014.
- "Supplement case studies: So how efficient are you?". Health Service Journal. 28 October 2015. Retrieved 29 November 2015.
- "Analysed: The biggest NHS providers of specialised services". Health Service Journal. 16 October 2015. Retrieved 16 November 2015.
- "New plans to expand the use of digital technology across the NHS". gov.uk. Department of Health and The Rt Hon Jeremy Hunt MP. Retrieved 9 September 2016.
- "HSJ reveals the best places to work in 2015". Health Service Journal. 7 July 2015. Retrieved 23 September 2015.
- "Eye patients harmed after acute trust's waiting list spirals". Health Service Journal. 31 October 2018. Retrieved 2 December 2018.