University System of Maryland
This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Headquarters||Baltimore, Maryland, United States|
|Baltimore-Washington Metropolitan Area, Eastern Shore of Maryland, Western Maryland|
|12 universities and 3 regional higher education centers |
|Jay A. Perman |
|Government of Maryland|
|$5.8 billion (2019)|
|Endowment||$1.298 billion (2018)|
The University System of Maryland (USM) is a public higher education system in the U.S. state of Maryland. It comprises twelve universities and three regional higher education centers located throughout the state of Maryland.
- Bowie State University
- Coppin State University
- Frostburg State University
- Salisbury University
- Towson University
- University of Baltimore
- University of Maryland, Baltimore
- University of Maryland, Baltimore County
- University of Maryland, College Park
- University of Maryland Eastern Shore
- University of Maryland Global Campus
- The Universities at Shady Grove
- University System of Maryland at Hagerstown
- University System of Maryland in Southern Maryland
- University of Maryland Center for Environmental Science
With more than 172,000 students at all levels, USM institutions award 78 percent of bachelor's degrees in Maryland. Nearly 50 percent of undergraduates graduate without debt. USM institutions attract more than $1.4 billion in research and development funding to the state annually and have helped foster the creation of more than 700 startup companies since 2011. The system's Aa1 bond rating enables its institutions to borrow at lower costs to students, families and taxpayers, and related effectiveness and efficiency initiatives have saved Marylanders nearly $600 million in administrative costs since 2004.
The USM is governed by a board of regents and led by a chancellor, who serves as the CEO of the university system and leads the USM Office.
USM Board of Regents and Chancellor
A 17-member volunteer Board of Regents, including one full-time student, governs the University System of Maryland. Appointed by the governor, the regents oversee the system's academic, administrative, and financial operations; formulate policy; and appoint the USM chancellor and the presidents of the system's 12 institutions. With the exception of the student member, each regent is appointed for a term of five years, and may not serve more than two consecutive terms. The student regent is appointed for a one-year term, and may be reappointed. Regents serve on the board without compensation.
- John S. Toll (1988-1990)
- Donald Langenberg (1990-2002)
- William E. Kirwan (2002-2015)
- Robert L. Caret (2015–2020)
- Jay A. Perman (2020–present)
The USM Office, led by the system chancellor, is the staff to the Board of Regents. Staff members advocate on behalf of the 12 USM institutions, facilitate collaboration and efficiencies among the institutions, and provide information about the system to the public.
With leadership from the USM Board of Regents and the chancellor, the system office coordinates academic programs, assists with long-range planning and resource management, facilitates private fund raising, and provides financial stewardship.
The system office is headquartered in Baltimore and has locations in Adelphi, Annapolis, and Columbia.
The University System of Maryland was created in 1988 from the merger of University of Maryland (UM) and Board of Trustees of State Universities and Colleges (BTSUC).
- "USM Institutions - USM". Usmd.edu. Retrieved August 14, 2014.
- "Office of the Chancellor - USM". Usmd.edu. Retrieved August 14, 2014.
- As of June 30, 2018. "U.S. and Canadian Institutions Listed by Fiscal Year (FY) 2018 Endowment Market Value and Change in Endowment Market Value from FY 2017 to FY 2018" (PDF). National Association of College and University Business Officers and Commonfund Institute. 2018. Retrieved August 9, 2019.
- "About USM - USM". Usmd.edu. Retrieved August 14, 2014.
- Office, University System of Maryland. "Board of Regents". www.usmd.edu. Retrieved February 14, 2019.
- "2010 Maryland Code :: EDUCATION :: TITLE 12 - UNIVERSITY SYSTEM OF MARYLAND :: Subtitle 1 - Powers and Duties :: Section 12-102 - Board of Regents - Government of University; members". Justia Law. Retrieved February 14, 2019.
- Office, University System of Maryland. "USM Office". www.usmd.edu. Retrieved February 14, 2019.
- "University System of Maryland - Origin & Functions". msa.maryland.gov. Retrieved February 14, 2019.