University of Agriculture, Makurdi
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Motto||Innovation and Service|
|Vice-Chancellor||Professor E. I. Kucha|
|Location||Makurdi, Benue State, Nigeria|
The university was established in 1988, following the recommendations of a 1987 federal government White Paper on Higher Education curriculum and development in Nigeria. The vice-chancellor is Professor E. I. Kucha
The University of Agriculture, Makurdi has over 30 departments in ten colleges:
- College of Agronomy
- College of Agricultural Economics and Extension
- College of Engineering
- College of Animal Science
- College of Food Technology
- College of Sciences
- College of Agricultural Science Education
- College of Veterinary Medicine
- College of Forestry and Fisheries
- College of Management Science
For outreach and public service support, UAM has established a Co-operative Extension Centre (CEC) and a Centre for Food and Agricultural Strategy (CEFAS) which focus on practical agricultural extension liaison support and public policy support services, respectively.
Research and extension programmes
- Root and Tubers programme
- Cereals and Legumes programme
- Forestry and Horticulture programme
- Ruminants programme
- Non-ruminants programme
- Farming systems programme
- Socio-economics programme
- Rural infrastructures programme
- Agricultural Mechanization programme
- Environmental and Analytical Studies programme and Food Processing and Utilization programme
The Cooperative Extension Centre through its training and extension liaison services coordinates the outreach programmes. The Centre for Food and Agricultural Strategy coordinates the public service support in food and agriculture. UAM is forming links to ensure that agricultural technologies and the output of its research reach average small-scale Nigerian farmers, the intended beneficiaries of the university's research and extension programmes.
Institutional links are being forged with federal and state Ministries of Agriculture and other related agencies to identify areas of collaboration and technical support from the University. The university has been involved with the International Institute of Tropical Agriculture in research on the socio-economic aspects of soybean production. The university is making its presence felt in Benue State through such collaborative programme and protects. Training programmes are being conducted for participants from other states.
- Nexus Strategic Partnerships (2007). Commonwealth Education Partnerships, 2007. Commonwealth Secretariat. p. 155. ISBN 9780954962913.
- "Brief profile of the University of Agriculture, Makurdi, Benue State". Commonwealth Ministers. Henley Media Group. Retrieved 4 May 2013.
- Anyanwu, Ogechi Emmanuel (2011). The Politics of Access: University Education and Nation-Building in Nigeria, 1948-2000. University of Calgary Press – via Questia (subscription required). pp. 174–7. ISBN 1552385183.
- IITA Annual report. 1990. p. 58.