University of Algarve
Universidade do Algarve
The University of Algarve (Universidade do Algarve or UAlg) is a Portuguese public university with administrative and financial autonomy. Its two campuses and the central administration are located in Faro, the capital city of the Algarve region.
The University of the Algarve is a young state university, located in the southern part of Portugal, one of the most touristic regions of Portugal.
Founded on 16 January 1979, the University of the Algarve results from the union of two preexisting institutions, the University of the Algarve and the Polytechnic Institute of Faro, which makes it somewhat different from most universities given that faculties and schools of both systems, co-exist.
In 1982, the first rector of the University, Prof. Gomes Guerreiro (1982-1986) was appointed, following by Prof. Lloyd Braga (1986-1990), Prof. Montalvão Marques (1990-1993), Prof. Alte da Veiga (1993-1997), Prof. Adriano Pimpão (1998-2006), Prof. João Guerreiro (2006-2013), and Prof. António Branco the current rector since 2013.
Following the approval of the Universities Autonomy Law, the Assembly of the University of the Algarve, comprising the representatives of academic and administrative staff and students of all the faculties and schools, approved the Statutes in 1991, which received approval by the Ministry of Education. In 2001, the first University Statute amendment was published in the Portuguese government official gazette.
The student population today is 7,856 with 800 academics. It has three faculties and four schools, offering a range of undergraduate and postgraduate. There are students from more than 60 countries.
Faculties (Gambelas Campus)
- Faculty of Economics
- Faculty of Sciences and Technology
- Faculty of Human and Social Sciences
- Department of Biomedical Sciences and Medicine
Schools (Penha and Saúde Campuses)
- School of Education and Communication
- School of Management, Hospitality and Tourism
- Institute of Engineering
- School of Health
Cultural and sports activities
The Student Union of the University of the Algarve (Associação Académica da Universidade do Algarve, AAUALG) is a representative body of the students, founded on 1 October 1997.
Sports activities are under the auspices of the Student Union in collaboration with the university and the Student Support and Welfare Services.
The Students Union Sports Department promotes sports activities from salsa to Hip-hop, from Tai Chi and yoga to Bujinkan, from basketball to football.
The Sports Department of the Student Union activities such as canoeing, windsurfing and sailing are free of charge at the Nautical Sports Centre at Faro Island (Centro Náutico da Ilha de Faro).
Competitive sports include handball, women’s futsal, women and men’s volleyball and men’s rugby. Federated teams (district championships) are active in men and women’s basketball, men’s futsal and men’s football 11.
The Student Union also organises:
- the Semana Académica (Student Academic Week) in May;
- the Sports Festival in September, in the streets of downtown Faro, with exhibitions and workshops on sports activities;
- the Snow Campus, a winter event for skiing and snowboarding;
- the Sports Exchange Programme, with national and international teams;
- the Academic University Sports Federation tournaments, such as the Open Tennis, Volleyball and Beach Rugby tournaments; the Non-Federated National University Championships;
- the University Student Union Mini Half-Marathon.