University of Bayreuth
|Budget||€ 150 million|
|Chancellor||Dr. Markus Zanner|
|President||Prof. Dr. Stefan Leible|
|Location||Bayreuth, Bavaria, Germany|
|Colours||Green and white
The University of Bayreuth is a public research university situated in Bayreuth, Germany. It was founded in 1975 as a campus university focusing on international collaboration and interdisciplinarity. It is broadly organized into six undergraduate and graduate faculties, with each faculty defining its own admission standards and academic programs in near autonomy.
The university offers several interdisciplinary courses such as Philosophy & Economics, Global Change Ecology, Theatre and Media studies, and Health Economics. In 2015 the university was ranked on place number 72 in the Times Higher Education world university ranking for universities founded less than 50 years ago. It is a member of the Elite Network of Bavaria (Elitenetzwerk Bayern), a coalition of research universities jointly offering graduate programs and international doctorate programs.
University Administration Executive Board
|Klaus Dieter Wolff||1973||1991|
The first chancellor was Wolf-Peter Hentschel from 1973 to Oktober 1999, who was already head of the executive office since 1 January 1972. From November 1999 to 2010 Ekkehard Beck was and since 2011 Markus Zanner is chancellor of the University of Bayreuth.
The University of Bayreuth is divided into six faculties:
- Mathematics, Physics and Computer Science
- Biology, Chemistry and Earth Sciences
- Law, Business and Economics
- Languages and Literature
- Cultural Studies
- Engineering Science
- Bayreuth University Library
- Language Centre
- IT Service Centre
- Technical Support Centre
- Ökologisch-Botanischer Garten der Universität Bayreuth, the university's botanical garden
- Media laboratory
- Central Library with integrated Departmental Library of the Social Sciences (GW)
- Departmental Library of Law and Economics (RW)
- Departmental Library of Biology/Chemistry (NW I)
- Departmental Library of Mathematics/Physics/Informatics/Engineering Sciences (NW II)
- Departmental Library of Earth Science (GEO)
- Departmental Library of Research Institute of Music Theatre, Castle of Thurnau (FIMT)
- Additional stack rooms at Geschwister-Scholl-Platz (GSP)
The University has a capacity for approximately 10000 students, in winter term 2011/12 the number of enrolled peaked to approximately 11400 students due to the dual Abitur cohorts. Many study programmes use interdisciplinary approaches, i.e. "Philosophy & Economics", "International Economy and Development", "Health Economics", "Sports Economics", "Polymer- and Colloidal Chemistry", "Geoecology", "Global Change Ecology" or "Applied Informatics".
- Bayreuth International Graduate School of African Studies - BIGSAS
- Bayreuth Institute for American Studies - BIFAS
- Bavarian Research Institute of Experimental Geochemistry and Geophysics - BGI
- Bayreuth Institute of Macromolecular Research - BIMF
- Bayreuth Centre for Colloids and Interfaces - BZKG
- Research Center for Bio-Macromolecules - bio-mac
- Bayreuth Center of Ecology and Environmental Research - BayCEER
- Bayreuth Centre for Materials Science and Engineering - BayMAT
- Bayreuth Centre for Molecular Biosciences - BZMB
- Institute of Music Theatre Research - FIMT
- Bayreuth Institute for European Law and Legal Culture
- Fraunhofer Project Group Process Innovation
- Andreas Voßkuhle, President of the Federal Constitutional Court of Germany
- Auma Obama, Half-sister of U.S. President Barack Obama
- Eberhard Bodenschatz, Director of the Max Planck Institute for Dynamics and Self-Organization
- Thomas Hacker, Leader of the FDP in the Bavarian Parliament
- Ulrike Gote, Parliamentary secretary of the Greens in the Bavarian parliament
- Maximilian Müller, German hockey player
Karl-Theodor zu Guttenberg, German Federal Minister of Defence, was awarded a summa cum laude doctorate by the Faculty of Law, Business Administration and Economics in 2007. After extensive plagiarism in zu Guttenberg's dissertation was revealed in February 2011, German media also criticised the University of Bayreuth. A University spokesman has denied allegations of bribery and political corruption. The University cancelled the doctorate and Guttenberg was forced to resign.
- "Drittmitteleinnahmen". University of Bayreuth (in German). Retrieved 2017-06-20.
- "Vom Studenten zum Präsidenten der Universität Bayreuth" (PDF). University of Bayreuth. Retrieved 12 August 2013.
- "Personalstatistik". University of Bayreuth (in German). Retrieved 2017-06-20.
- "Entwicklung der Studierendenzahlen". University of Bayreuth (in German). Retrieved 2017-06-20.
- "100 Under 50 Rankings 2015"". Times Higher Education. Retrieved 9 July 2015.
- "404 - Elite Netzwerk Bayern". Retrieved 21 June 2015.
- "Universitätsbibliothek Bayreuth About Us". Retrieved 23 September 2016.
- "Login. CEUS-HB". Retrieved 23 September 2016.
- "Bayreuth International Graduate School of African Studies". Retrieved 23 September 2016.
- "Bifas". Retrieved 23 September 2016.
- "Fraunhofer Project Group Process Innovation". Retrieved 23 September 2016.
- Torsten Krauel (20 February 2011). "Plagiatsvorwurf : Doktor nur im Geiste, vorerst - Nachrichten - DIE WELT". Retrieved 21 June 2015.
- Manuel Bewarder und Marc Neller (19 February 2011). "Plagiatsvorwurf: So prüft die Uni Bayreuth Guttenbergs Dissertation - DIE WELT". DIE WELT. Retrieved 21 June 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Universität Bayreuth.|