University of Bayreuth
|Chancellor||Dr. Markus Zanner|
|President||Prof. Dr. Stefan Leible|
|approx. 1,500 (2013)|
|Students||approx. 11,000 (2013)|
|Location||Bayreuth, Bavaria, Germany|
|Colours||green and white|
The University of Bayreuth is a public research university situated in Bayreuth, Germany. It was founded in 1975 as a campus university focusing on international collaboration and interdisciplinarity. The university has an outstanding reputation in a broad range of disciplines and currently maintains a network of more than 450 international cooperations with research institutes and universities around the world. It is broadly organized into six undergraduate and graduate faculties, with each faculty defining its own admission standards and academic programs in near autonomy.
The university is renowned for offering several interdisciplinary courses such as Philosophy & Economics, Global Change Ecology, Theatre and Media studies, and Health Economics. The management, economics and law programs are ranked among the top degrees in Germany. In 2015 the university was ranked on place number 72 in the Times Higher Education world university ranking for universities founded less than 50 years ago. It is a member of the Elite Network of Bavaria (Elitenetzwerk Bayern), a coalition of leading research universities jointly offering graduate programs and international doctorate programs.
University Administration Executive Board
|Klaus Dieter Wolff||1973||1991|
The first chancellor was Wolf-Peter Hentschel from 1973 to Oktober 1999, who was already head of the executive office since 1 January 1972. From November 1999 to 2010 Ekkehard Beck was and since 2011 Markus Zanner is chancellor of the University of Bayreuth.
The University of Bayreuth is divided into six faculties:
- Mathematics, Physics and Computer Science
- Biology, Chemistry and Earth Sciences
- Law, Business and Economics
- Languages and Literature
- Cultural Studies
- Engineering Science
- Bayreuth University Library
- Language Centre
- IT Service Centre
- Technical Support Centre
- Ökologisch-Botanischer Garten der Universität Bayreuth, the university's botanical garden
- Media laboratory
- Central Library with integrated Departmental Library of the Social Sciences (GW)
- Departmental Library of Law and Economics (RW)
- Departmental Library of Biology/Chemistry (NW I)
- Departmental Library of Mathematics/Physics/Informatics/Engineering Sciences (NW II)
- Departmental Library of Earth Science (GEO)
- Departmental Library of Research Institute of Music Theatre, Castle of Thurnau (FIMT)
- Additional stack rooms at Geschwister-Scholl-Platz (GSP)
The University has a capacity for approximately 10000 students, in winter term 2011/12 the number of enrolled peaked to approximately 11400 students due to the dual Abitur cohorts. Many study programmes use interdisciplinary approaches, i.e. "Philosophy & Economics", "International Economy and Development", "Health Economics", "Sports Economics", "Polymer- and Colloidal Chemistry", "Geoecology", "Global Change Ecology" or "Applied Informatics".
Bachelor of Arts = B.A.
Bachelor of Science = B.Sc.
- African Languages, Literature and Arts, B.A.
- Applied Informatics, B.Sc.
- Anglistics/American Studies, B.A.
- Business Administration, B.Sc.
- Biochemistry, B.Sc.
- Biology, B.Sc.
- Chemistry, B.Sc.
- Economics, B.Sc.
- Engineering Science, B.Sc.
- Ethnology, B.A.
- European History, B.A.
- Geography, B.Sc.
- African Geographical Development Studies, B.Sc.
- Geoecology, B.Sc.
- German Philology, B.A.
- Health Economics, B.Sc.
- Intercultural Studies, B.A.
- Informatics, B.Sc.
- International Economy and Development, B.A.
- Culture and Society, B.A.
- African Culture and Society, B.A.
- Materials Science and Engineering, B.Sc.
- Mathematics, B.Sc.
- Media Studies and Media Practices, B.A.
- Performing Arts and Opera Dramaturgy, B.A.
- Philosophy & Economics, B.A.
- Physics, B.Sc.
- Polymer- and Colloidal Chemistry, B.Sc.
- Sports Economics, B.Sc.
- Technomathematics, B.Sc.
- Theater und Media, B.A.
- Business Engineering, B.Sc.
- Business Mathematics, B.Sc.
Master of Arts = M.A.
Master of Science = M.Sc.
- African Language Studies, M.A.
- Applied Informatics, M.Sc.
- Automotives and Mechatronics, M.Sc.
- Business Administration, M.Sc.
- Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, M.Sc.
- Biodiversity and Ecology, M.Sc.
- Biotechnology and Chemical Process Engineering, M.Sc.
- Computer Science, M.Sc.
- Computer Games Studies, M.A. or M.Sc.
- Economics, M.Sc.
- Energy Technology, M.Sc.
- Études Francophones, M.A.
- Experimental Geosciences, M.Sc.
- Geoecology, M.Sc.
- Geschichte – History – Histoire, M.A.
- Health Economics, M.Sc.
- Human Geography- Urban and Regional Research, M.Sc.
- Intercultural Anglophone Studies, M.A., international study programme
- Intercultural German Studies, M.A., double degree cooperation with Universities of Utrecht, Moskau and Ústi nad Labem
- International Economy and Governance, M.A.
- African Culture and Society, M.A.
- Cultural and Social Anthropology, M.A.
- Food and Health Sciences, M.Sc.
- Literature in its Cultural Context, M.A.
- Literature and Media, M.A.
- Material Chemistry and Catalysis, M.Sc.
- Materials Science and Engineering, M. Sc.
- Mathematics, M.Sc.
- Media Culture and Media Economy, M.A.
- Central Europe and Anglo-Saxon World 1300–2000, M.A.
- Molecular Ecology, M.Sc.
- Music and Performance, M.A.
- Natural and Medicinal Chemistry, M.Sc.
- Philosophy & Economics, M.A.
- Physics, M.Sc.
- Physical Geography, M.Sc.
- Polymer Science, M.Sc.
- Religious Studies, M.A.
- Sports Economics, M.Sc.
- Language – Interaction – Culture, M.A.
- Technomathematics, M.Sc.
- Business Engineering, M.Sc.
- Business Mathematics, M.Sc.
Executive Degree Programs
Master of Business Administration = MBA
Master of Laws = LL.M.
- Health Care Management, MBA
- Sport Management, MBA
- Sport Law, LL.M.
- Bayreuth International Graduate School of African Studies - BIGSAS
- Bayreuth Institute for American Studies - BIFAS
- Bavarian Research Institute of Experimental Geochemistry and Geophysics - BGI
- Bayreuth Institute of Macromolecular Research - BIMF
- Bayreuth Centre for Colloids and Interfaces - BZKG
- Research Center for Bio-Macromolecules - bio-mac
- Bayreuth Center of Ecology and Environmental Research - BayCEER
- Bayreuth Centre for Materials Science and Engineering - BayMAT
- Bayreuth Centre for Molecular Biosciences - BZMB
- Institute of Music Theatre Research - FIMT
- Bayreuth Institute for European Law and Legal Culture
- Fraunhofer Project Group Process Innovation
- Andreas Voßkuhle, President of the Federal Constitutional Court of Germany
- Auma Obama, Half-sister of U.S. President Barack Obama
- Eberhard Bodenschatz, Director of the Max Planck Institute for Dynamics and Self-Organization
- Thomas Hacker, Leader of the FDP in the Bavarian Parliament
- Ulrike Gote, Parliamentary secretary of the Greens in the Bavarian parliament
- Maximilian Müller, German hockey player
Karl-Theodor zu Guttenberg, German Federal Minister of Defence, was awarded a summa cum laude doctorate by the Faculty of Law, Business Administration and Economics in 2007. After extensive plagiarism in zu Guttenberg's dissertation was revealed in February 2011, German media also criticised the University of Bayreuth. A University spokesman has denied allegations of bribery and political corruption. The University cancelled the doctorate and Guttenberg was forced to resign.
- "Vom Studenten zum Präsidenten der Universität Bayreuth" (PDF). University of Bayreuth. Retrieved 12 August 2013.
- "Partner". Retrieved 21 June 2015.
- "Uni-Ranking 2011: Die besten Unis für die Karriere". Retrieved 21 June 2015.
- "100 Under 50 Rankings 2015"". Times Higher Education. Retrieved 9 July 2015.
- "404 - Elite Netzwerk Bayern". Retrieved 21 June 2015.
- Torsten Krauel (20 February 2011). "Plagiatsvorwurf : Doktor nur im Geiste, vorerst - Nachrichten - DIE WELT". Retrieved 21 June 2015.
- Manuel Bewarder und Marc Neller (19 February 2011). "Plagiatsvorwurf: So prüft die Uni Bayreuth Guttenbergs Dissertation - DIE WELT". DIE WELT. Retrieved 21 June 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Universität Bayreuth.|