University of Benin (Nigeria)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2019)
|Institute of Technology|
|Motto||Knowledge for Service|
|Type||Public research university|
|Affiliation||Association of African Universities|
|Chancellor||Sanusi Lamido Sanusi|
|Vice-Chancellor||Prof. Lilian Imuetinyan Salami|
|Campus||Ugbowo Campus and Ekehuan Campus|
|Colors||Purple, gold, yellow|
University of Benin (UNIBEN) is a public research university located in Benin City, Edo State, Nigeria. It is among the universities owned by the Federal Government of Nigeria and was founded in 1970. The School currently has two campuses with fifteen faculties including a central library called John Harris Library.
College of Medical Sciences
The UNIBEN College of Medicine teaches medicine and awards a professional degree for physicians and surgeons. The College of Medical Sciences is made of three Schools and an Institute, namely:
School of Medicine
The School of Medicine was established in 1973, then the Faculty of Medicine to Medicine to run a 6-year Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) full-time degree program. The first Dean of the School was Professor T. Belo-Osagie. He was the Dean from 1973 to 1975. With the exit of Professor T. Belo-Osagie, Professor K. Diete-Koki became the Dean of the School. Since then, the School has had various Deans and Heads of Departments in the last 30 years. The immediate past Dean of the School was Prof. Dr. (med.) E. Oviasu while the present Dean is Professor Wilson E. Sadoh .
School of Basic Medical Science
The School of Basic Medical Science was established in December 2003, from the College of Medical Sciences and was finally launched in January 2004. The school undertakes undergraduate programs for B.Sc.
In addition, the school provides services for other schools within the college: Schools of Medicine and Dentistry as well as other Faculties in the university: Sciences and School of Pharmacy.
The School of Basic Medical Science has the following seven departments:
- Medical Biochemistry
- Medical Laboratory Science
- Nursing Science
- Radiography and Radiation Science.
School of Dentistry
The School of Dentistry coordinates courses and curricular within the College leading to the award of Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS) degree. The School of Dentistry, as it was known then, was established in 1976 and the first batch of students was admitted in the 1976/77 academic session. It was established as an integral part of the College of Medical Sciences in 1975 by an amendment to the Edict establishing the University of Benin. In 2012, with support from the International Federation of Endodontic Associations(IFEA), donations from the University of Texas at Houston School of Dentistry, and the Owen family, Dr. Mbachan Collins Okwen BDS. (Benin), DDS., MBA. introduced regenerative endodontics and modern microscopic endodontics at the University of Benin Teaching Hospital.
- Kenneth Robson Hill, pioneer Vice Chancellor
- T.M. Yesufu, the first indigenous Vice Chancellor
- Grace Alele-Williams, Nigeria's first female vice-chancellor. She served from 1985 to 1991
- Andrew Onokheroraye
- Emmanuel Nwanze
- Osayuki Godwin Oshodin, 2009-2014
- Faraday Osasere Orumwense, 2014- 2019
- Lilian Salami, 2019–present
- Oladipo Agboluaje, actor
- Emmanuel Agwoje, banker
- Aigboje Aig-Imoukhuede, co-founder Access Bank Plc and founder & chairman, Africa Initiative for Governance
- Josephine Anenih, lawyer and former minister
- Helen Asemota, professor of biochemistry and biotechnology
- Lota Chukwu, actress
- George Edozie, artist
- Mitchell Elegbe, GMD/CEO Interswitch
- Abiodun Falodun, rector, Edo State Polytechnic
- Babatunde Fashola, former Lagos State governor, who served two terms from May 29, 2007, to May 29, 2015, and current minister of Power, Work & Housing in Nigeria
- James Ibori, former Governor of Delta State from 29 May 1999 to 29 May 2007
- Tom Ilube, founder and CEO, Crossword Cybersecurity
- Wellington Jighere, 2015 WESPA Scrabble champion
- Patience Maseli, first female deputy director of Upstream Division at the Department of Petroleum Resources
- Richard Mofe-Damijo, Nollywood actor
- Darlington Obaseki, medical doctor and professor
- Omoni Oboli, a Nigerian actress, film director and producer
- Bright Okpocha ("Basketmouth"), comedian
- Ovie Omo-Agege, senator in the Nigerian 8th senate
- Osonye Tess Onwueme, writer and professor
- Victor F. Peretomode, academic and professor
- Benedict Peters, founder of Aiteo group
- Amaju Pinnick, President Nigeria Football Federation
- Lilian Imuetinyan Salami, academic and current Vice-Chancellor, University of Benin
- Ijeoma Uchegbu, scientist and professor
- Emmanuel Uduaghan, former governor, Delta State
- Sabina Umeh, singer
- Alexander Oppenheim (1973–1977), mathematician
- Epiphany Azinge, former Director of the Nigerian Institute of Advanced Legal Studies
- "AAU Member Universities". Association of African Universities. Retrieved 2019-07-05.
- "Live Event: Swearing-in Ceremony For Prof Lilian Salami". University of Benin News. 2019-12-02. Retrieved 2019-12-05.
- "New UNIBEN VC launches anti-corruption campaign". Punch Newspaper. 2019-12-03. Retrieved 2019-12-05.
- "Departments -Tertiary". Ministry of Education (Nigeria). Archived from the original on 2011-07-23. Retrieved 2019-07-07.
- "UNIBEN… X-raying a 48-year-old". The Nation Nigeria. 2018-03-22. Retrieved 2019-07-07.
- Umukoro, Immanuel Ovemeso; Tiamiyu, Mutawakilu Adisa (2017-12-01). "Determinants of e-library services' use among university students: A study of John Harris Library, University of Benin, Nigeria". Journal of Librarianship and Information Science. 49 (4): 438–453. doi:10.1177/0961000616653176. ISSN 0961-0006.
- "Uniben retains 2nd position in Nuc programme accreditation-VC". Vanguard News. 2018-11-15. Retrieved 2019-07-06.
- "Brief History". University of Benin. Retrieved 2019-07-06.
- "About – College of Medical Sciences". colmed.uniben.edu. Retrieved 2018-10-02.
- "Star of the South Table Clinic winners announced | UTHealth School of…". archive.is. 2013-03-20. Retrieved 2018-10-02.
- "University of Benin | Nigerian Optometric Association". noang.org. Retrieved 2021-07-16.
- "Grace Alele-Williams - Biography". Maths History. Retrieved 2021-07-16.
- "UNIBEN VC tussle: A contest of indigene or merit?". Vanguard News. 2009-08-09. Retrieved 2021-07-16.
- "OSHODIN: A Study In University Administration". The Guardian Nigeria News - Nigeria and World News. 2015-02-27. Retrieved 2021-07-16.
- "UNIBEN'S giant strides at 48". The Sun Nigeria. 2018-05-31. Retrieved 2021-07-16.
- "UNIBEN appoints second female vice-chancellor | Premium Times Nigeria". 2019-10-27. Retrieved 2021-07-16.
- "Oladipo Agboluaje". International Research Center. Freie Universität Berlin. 10 October 2008. Retrieved February 25, 2019.
- Fyn-Sydney, Seiperi (May 1, 2010). "Emmanuel Osa Agwoje, a phenomenal example in Nigeria Capital Market". Modern Ghana. Retrieved February 25, 2019.
- "Company Overview of Coronation Capital (Mauritius) Limited". Bloomberg. February 25, 2019. Retrieved February 26, 2019.
- "ANENIH, Barr Josephine Nwogo". BLERF's Who's Who in Nigeria. Biographical Legacy and Research Foundation. 11 November 2016. Retrieved February 25, 2019.
- "HELEN ASEMOTA PROMOTED TO PROFESSOR | Marketing and Communications Office, The University of West Indies at Mona". www.mona.uwi.edu. Retrieved 2019-12-21.
- "Meet Lota Chukwu The Nollywood Elixir | Celeb Of The Week - Evatese Blog". www.evatese.com. Retrieved 2021-02-08.
- "New Nigerian Conjunctures: The Art of George Edozie". Artstrings. September 21, 2018. Retrieved February 25, 2019.
- "Company Overview of Interswitch Limited". Bloomberg. February 25, 2019. Retrieved February 25, 2019.
- "DVC delivers UNIBEN's 150th inaugural lecture". The Nation Newspaper. 2015-03-11. Retrieved 2019-07-20.
- "Fashola Reunites With Former Law Classmates At UNIBEN For 30 Years Anniversary". National Helm. November 13, 2017. Retrieved February 25, 2019.
- "Ibori, our convocation speaker? Not here! UNIBEN students, staff and alumni tell Acting VC Kubeyinje". Sahara Reporters. November 12, 2009. Retrieved February 26, 2019.
- "Tom Ilube receives honorary degree from City". City, University of London. January 30, 2018. Retrieved February 25, 2019.
- Wang, Yanan. "With the word 'felty,' for 36 points, Wellington Jighere becomes the first African world Scrabble champion". Washington Post. Retrieved 25 February 2019.
- Thomas-Odia, Ijeoma (13 April 2019). "Women must work hard to be relevant in male- dominated field". Guardian. Retrieved 16 April 2019.
- "Biography & Net Worth of Nollywood Actor RMD". Business Day Liberia. March 20, 2018. Retrieved February 26, 2019.
- "FG appoints Obaseki substantive CMD of UBTH". Vanguard News. 2017-08-26. Retrieved 2019-07-05.
- "Omoni Oboli". Alumni | New York Film Academy. Retrieved 2021-07-15.
- Kagire, Linda M. (February 22, 2019). "Basketmouth to perform in Kigali". New Times (Rwanda). Retrieved February 25, 2019.
- Adurokiya, Ebenezer (April 18, 2018). "Things you should know about Senator Ovie Omo-Agege". Nigerian Tribune. Retrieved February 25, 2019.
- "Tess Osonye Onwueme". African Books Collective. Retrieved February 25, 2019.
- Okafor, Chido (May 17, 2019). "How we tamed Cultism in DELSU, by vice chancellor". Guardian Newspapers. Retrieved June 27, 2019.
- Mikva, Keren (February 19, 2015). "12 Things You Didn't Know About Nigerian Billionaire Benedict Peters". Moguldom. Retrieved February 25, 2019.
- "Amaju Pinnick, others For UNIBEN Alumni Awards". guardian.ng. Archived from the original on 15 April 2019. Retrieved 15 April 2019.
- "Post UNIBEN honours NFF President and others for sports excellence". aitonline.tv. Retrieved 28 August 2019.
- Azotani, Chuks (25 October 2019). "Prof Mrs. Salami Lilian Emerges As The New Vice-Chancellor of UNIBEN". Breaking Times. Retrieved 13 December 2019.
- BioPharm International Editors (December 2, 2006). "The Talent Pool". BioPharm International. Retrieved February 25, 2019.
- "Company Overview of Niger Delta Power Holding Company Limited". Bloomberg. February 25, 2019. Retrieved February 25, 2019.
- "Entrepreneur Kese Jabari & his Beauty Queen/Musician Wife Sabina Umeh cover Mode Men Magazine's February Issue as they dish on their 30-Year Romance". BellaNaija. February 9, 2017. Retrieved February 25, 2019.
- Greenfield, Richard (December 15, 1997). "Obituary: Sir Alexander Oppenheim". The Independent. Retrieved March 12, 2021.