University of Brescia
Università degli Studi di Brescia
Logo of the University of Brescia
|Rector||Prof. Maurizio Tira|
|Sport teams||CUS Brescia www.cusbrescia.it|
The University of Brescia was officially established in 1982 with three Schools: Medicine and Surgery, Engineering, Economics and Business. However, the creation phase lasted nearly two decades, so the first attempts to open university courses in Brescia go back to the 1960s.
A first initiative came from the Chamber of Commerce and the Provincial Administration, which opened negotiations in the early 1960s to set up a two-year course in Engineering as a branchof Politecnico di Milano. The excessive financial requirements caused the project to lapse. After this first attempt, the creation of the future Schools of Brescia moved along two distinct paths, one concerning the School of Economics, the other those of Engineering and Medicine. In the field of economic studies, in 1964 a School of Industrial Administration was created, offering two-year courses. The creation of the Schools of Engineering and Medicine had a different history. The idea of setting up a university pole in Brescia, following the first failed attempt in the early 1960s, regained strength in the second half of the decade with the birth of the Consorzio Universitario Bresciano (CUB), promoted by the Provincial Administration, the Municipality of Brescia and the Chamber of Commerce.
The University of Brescia is divided into four main areas and provides the following post-secondary academic degrees:
|Economics||Engineering||Law||Medicine and Surgery|
||Third cycle (PhD):
Degree honoris causa
- Luigi Lucchini, Economics (18 June 1998) 
- Paul Greengard, Medicine (September 2007) 
- Guido Calabresi, Law (21 January 2013) 
- Jeffrey Sachs, Management (12 February 2018) 
Notes and references
- "Premi e riconoscimenti - Lauree Honoris Causa" (in Italian). Retrieved 27 January 2018.
- "E' morto Luigi Lucchini Fu presidente di Confindustria". Il Giorno (in Italian). Brescia. 26 August 2013. Retrieved 27 January 2018.
- "Golgi Medal Award - Washington" (in Italian). Retrieved 27 January 2018.
- "Brescia conferisce la laurea Honoris Causa al prof. Guido Calabresi" (in Italian). Retrieved 27 January 2018.
- "Laurea Honoris Causa a Jeffrey D. Sachs" (in Italian). Retrieved 27 January 2018.
- "Laurea Honoris Causa Jeffrey D. Sachs" (PDF) (in Italian). Retrieved 27 January 2018.
|This Italian university, college or other education institution article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|