University of Calabar
The University of Calabar is a university situated in Calabar, Cross River State, south-south Nigeria. It is one of Nigeria's second generation federal universities. The University of Calabar was a campus of the University of Nigeria until 1975. The architecture was designed by John Elliott. It was established by decree to fulfill this traditional mandate, its motto “Knowledge for Service”.
The Vice Chancellor is Prof. Zana I. Akpagu. Prof. Florence Obi currently holds the position of DVC (Academic), and Prof. Ndifreke Udonwa DVC (Administration). The Registrar is Mr. Moses O. Abang. Mrs. Beatrice Igwe is the University Bursar, and Dr. (Mrs.) Nkoyo Edem is the University Librarian. The University of Calabar was one of the foremost Nigerian Universities to automate students' registration processes through the College Portal, and has taken a step further to automate her alumni relations which includes an online transcript request and processing first of its kind in the country.
The male students are known as Malabites, while the female students are Malabresses. The male hostel is called Malabo. This was a result of challenges faced by the students at a time which coincided with the suffering experienced in Malabo by Nigerian deportees from Equatorial Guinea (whose capital is Malabo) at the time.
The university has the following faculties:
- Faculty of Allied Medical Sciences
- Faculty of Basic Medical Sciences
- Faculty of Dentistry
- Faculty of Medicine
- Faculties of Management Sciences
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Social Sciences
- Faculty of Arts
- Institute of Public Policy and Administration
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Biological Sciences
- Faculty of Physical Sciences
- Faculty of Engineering
- Faculty of Pharmacy
- Faculty of Agriculture
- Institute of Oceanography
- Graduate School
- University of Calabar Consultancy Services
Objectives for Establishment of the University of Calabar
(a) To encourage the advancement of knowledge of learning and to hold out to all person without distinctions of race, creed, sex or political conviction the opportunity of acquiring liberal education.
(b) To provide courses of instruction and other facilities for the pursuit of learning in all its branches, and to make those facilities available on proper terms of such persons as are equipped to benefit from them;
(c) To encourage and promote scholarship and conduct research in all fields of learning and human endeavour.
(d) To relate its activities to the social, cultural and economic needs of the people of Nigeria; and
(e) To undertake any other activities appropriate for a University of the highest standards.
Below is a list of affiliate institutions of the University of Calabar approved by the National Universities Commission (NUC).
- Nigerian Christian Bible Church
- Reformed Theological Seminary, Mkar
- Catholic Institute of West Africa, Port-Harcourt
- Essien Ukpabio Presbyterian College Itu, Akwa Ibom State
Amongst the alumni of the University of Calabar are:
- Chile Eboe-Osuji, International Jurist and Current President of the International Criminal Court, The Hague, Netherlands.
- Godswill Obot Akpabio, former governor of Akwa Ibom State & Current Senate Minority Leader
- Okezie Ikpeazu, Current Governor of Abia State of Nigeria.
- Queeneth Agbor, actress
- Biko Agozino, criminologist
- Isabella Ayuk, MBGN 2012
- Grace Folashade Bent, politician
- Kate Henshaw-Nuttal, actress
- Ini Edo, actress
- Anthony Ayine, auditor general for the Federation.
- Regina Askia actress -left before graduation
- Reuben Abati, Lawyer/writer
- Stacey B. Day, Ntufam Ajan of Oban
- Omotu Bissong, model/television presenter
- John Odey, former minister
- Chukwuemeka Ngozichineke Wogu, minister
- Osita Izunaso, politician
- Ita Enang, politician
- Victor Ndoma-Egba, politician
- Stephanie Okereke, actress
- Owens Wiwa, human rights activist
- John James Akpan Udo-Edehe, politician
- Aloysius Akpan Etok, politician
- Uche Jombo, actress
- Alex Ekubo, actor/model
- Iyanya, singer/songwriter/performer
Amongst the most distinguished faculty of the University of Calabar are:
Eskor Toyo, Professor of Economics and Marxist Scholar
- "Welcome - Guest". unical.edu.ng. Retrieved 7 September 2015.
- "Biography of Godswill Akpabio; Ex-Governor; Lawyer; Politician; Akwa Ibom State Celebrity". www.nigerianbiography.com. Retrieved 2018-07-30.
- "Ini Edo Biography, Age, Kids, Husband, Marriage, Wedding and Movies - Informationcradle". Informationcradle. 2017-06-13. Retrieved 2018-07-30.