University of California Press
|Parent company||University of California|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Headquarters location||Oakland, California|
|Publication types||Books, Journals|
University of California Press, otherwise known as UC Press, is a publishing house associated with the University of California that engages in academic publishing. It was founded in 1893 to publish books and papers for the faculty of the University of California, established 25 years earlier in 1868. Its headquarters are located in Oakland, California.
The University of California Press publishes in the following general subject areas: anthropology, art, California and the West, classical studies, film, food and wine, global issues, history, literature/poetry, music, natural sciences, public health and medicine, religion, and sociology. It also distributes titles published by the Huntington Library, Watershed Media, and publishing programs within the University of California system.
Each year it publishes approximately 180 new books and 31 journals in the humanities, social sciences, and natural sciences and keeps about 3,500 book titles in print.
- Language As Symbolic Action, Kenneth Burke (1966)
- The Teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Knowledge, Carlos Castaneda (1968)
- The Mysterious Stranger, Mark Twain (definitive edition) (1969, based on work first published in 1916)
- Basic Color Terms: Their Universality and Evolution
- The Making of a Counter Culture
- Self-Consuming Artifacts: The Experience of Seventeenth-Century Literature, Stanley Fish (1972)
- The Ancient Economy, Moses I. Finley (1973)
- Joan of Arc: The Image of Female Heroism, Marina Warner (1981)
- Strong Democracy: Participatory Politics for a New Age, Benjamin R. Barber (1984)
- Art in the San Francisco Bay Area, Thomas Albright (1985)
- Religious Experience, Wayne Proudfoot (1985)
- The War Within: America's Battle over Vietnam, Tom Wells (1994)
- George Grosz: An Autobiography, George Grosz (translated by Nora Hodges) (published 1998, written in 1946, translated in 1955)
- The Confusions of Pleasure: Commerce and Culture in Ming China
- Disposable People: New Slavery in the Global Economy, Kevin Bales (1999)
- Mama Lola: A Vodou Priestess in Brooklyn, Karen McCarthy Brown (2001)
- A Culture of Conspiracy: Apocalyptic Visions in Contemporary America, Michael Barkun (2003)
- Bounded Choice
- Beyond Chutzpah: On the Misuse of Anti-Semitism and the Abuse of History, Norman G. Finkelstein (2005)
- Brewing Justice: Fair Trade Coffee, Sustainability and Survival
- China Candid
- Autobiography of Mark Twain, Mark Twain (2010)
The University of California Press re-printed a number of novels under the California Fiction series from 1996-2001. These titles were selected for their literary merit and for their illumination of California history and culture.
- The Ford by Mary Austin
- Thieves' Market by A.I. Bezzerides
- Disobedience by Michael Drinkard
- Words of My Roaring by Ernest J. Finney
- Skin Deep by Guy Garcia
- Fat City by Leonard Gardiner
- Chez Chance by Jay Gummerman
- Continental Drift by James D. Houston
- The Vineyard by Idwal Jones
- In the Heart of the Valley of Love by Cynthia Kadohata
- Always Coming Home by Ursula K. Le Guin
- The Valley of the Moon by Jack London
- Home and Away by Joanne Meschery
- Bright Web in the Darkness by Alexander Saxton
- Golden Days by Carolyn See
- Oil! by Upton Sinclair
- Understand This by Jervey Tervalon
- Ghost Woman by Lawrence Thornton
- Who is Angelina? by Al Young
- Camhi, Jeff (15 April 2013). A Dam in the River: Releasing the Flow of University Ideas. Algora Publishing. pp. 149–. ISBN 978-0-87586-989-6. Retrieved 31 August 2013.
- Goudy, Frederic (1946). A Half-Century of Type Design and Typography: 1895-1945, Volume 1. New York: The Typophiles. pp. 216–9. Retrieved 26 February 2016.
- Carter, Matthew. "Goudy, the good ol' boy (Bruckner biography review)". Eye Magazine. Retrieved 5 February 2016.
- Shaw, Paul. "An appreciation of Frederic W. Goudy as a type designer". Retrieved 12 July 2015.
- Updike, John. "A Bull in the Typography Shop: a review of Frederic Goudy by D. J. R. Bruckner". New York Times. Retrieved 5 February 2016.
- See, Carolyn (1996). Golden Days. Berkeley: University of California Press. ISBN 0520206738.
- "California Fiction". University of California Press. Retrieved 14 October 2015.