University of California Student Association
||This college or university article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia guidelines for college and university articles. (August 2009)|
|Founded||February 11, 1971|
|15 University of California student governments|
Board Vice Chair
|Yanira Rivas Pineda|
|Affiliations||United States Student Association
National Association of Graduate-Professional Students
|7 staff members|
|UC Student Lobby|
The University of California Student Association (UCSA) is a 501(c)(3) organization, purposed as a student association of all University of California (UC) students. Its charter states that it "shall exist to: serve the interests of the current and future students of the University of California and promotes [sic] cooperation between various student governments of the University and student organizations concerned with higher education.". The Association plays a part in various aspects of the UC system's governance, notably including the selection of the student representative on the UC Board of Regents.
It has been noted for its opposition to education funding cuts and increases in student fees and for its support of affirmative action in enrollment policies. The association mobilizes students via voter registration campaigns; it recorded 26,000 new voter registrations in 2006, and added 12,300 new registrations in 2008 for the California Democratic and Republican primaries.
UCSA's governing body is its board of directors, which is chartered to be made up of the external vice presidents of all UC student governments. However, UCSA generally requires each student government to pay dues to maintain voting rights on the board. Thus, student governments may effectively "withdraw" from UCSA by refusing to pay dues. As of the 2015-2016 academic year, the UCSA board of directors included voting members selected by the following University of California student governments:
- Associated Students of the University of California (UC Berkeley)
- Graduate Assembly (UC Berkeley)
- Associated Students, UC Davis
- Associated Graduate Students of UC Irvine
- Undergraduate Students Association Council (UCLA)
- Associated Students of UC Merced
- Graduate Student Association of UC Merced
- Associated Students of UC Riverside
- Graduate Student Association of UC Riverside
- Associated Students of UC San Diego
- Graduate and Professional Student Association of UC San Francisco
- Associated Students of UC Santa Barbara
- Graduate Students Association of UC Santa Barbara
- Student Union Assembly (UC Santa Cruz)
- Graduate Student Association of UC Santa Cruz
Non-voting student governments
- Associated Students, UC Irvine (withdrew in 2014)
- Graduate Student Association of UC Davis
- Graduate Students Association of UCLA (withdrew in 2008)
- Graduate Student Association of UC San Diego
Registered public charity
The U.S. Internal Revenue Service has determined that UCSA is "exempt from Federal income tax under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code" and that UCSA is a "public charity". UCSA is registered with the California Attorney General’s Registry of Charitable Trusts as an "Unincorporated Association".
- African Black Coalition
- California State Student Association
- National Association of Graduate-Professional Students
- Student Senate for California Community Colleges
- United States Student Association
- UCSA Board of Directors
- Jacoby, Pat (2007-05-17). "Marco Murillo, New President of UC San Diego Students, Credits Preuss School With Opening Scholastic Perspectives". ucsdnews.ucsd.edu. Retrieved 2009-02-11.
- Schevitz, Tanya; Kevin Fagan; Matthew Yi (2008-04-22). "Nearly 2,000 protest college spending cuts". sfgate.com. Retrieved 2008-04-23.
- Avila, Theresa (2008-05-15). "The Daily Bruin - Fee hike leads to protests". dailybruin.com. Retrieved 2009-02-10.
- Miran, Aria (2008-01-18). "Regents To Postpone Increase in Student Costs - Daily Nexus". www.dailynexus.com. Archived from the original on March 23, 2008. Retrieved 2009-02-10.
- Jacobson, Jennifer (2003-09-19). "The Chronicle: 9/19/2003: Students Sue States Over Tuition Increases but Face an Uphill Battle". chronicle.com. Retrieved 2009-02-11.
- "The Board of Regents, September 1998" (PDF). google.com. Retrieved 2009-02-11.
- Galio, Katalina (2008-01-23). "12,300 UC Students Registered in Time for Primary - The Daily Californian". www.dailycal.org. Retrieved 2009-02-10.
- Menendez, Sarah S. "UCI Leaves UCSA". New University, March 4, 2014.
- Internal Revenue Service, letter dated December 15, 2013.
- UCSA’s State Charity Registration Number is CT0211086. The registration records may be searched online; Registry of Charitable Trusts.