University of California Student Association
|Founded||February 11, 1971|
|UC Student Lobby|
The University of California Student Association (UCSA) is a 501(c)(3) organization, purposed as a student association of all University of California (UC) students. Its charter states that it "shall exist to: serve the interests of the current and future students of the University of California and promotes [sic] cooperation between various student governments of the University and student organizations concerned with higher education." The Association plays a part in various aspects of the UC system's governance, notably including the selection of the student representative on the UC Board of Regents.
UCSA representatives have opposed education funding cuts and increases in student fees and supported affirmative action in enrollment policies. The association mobilizes students via voter registration campaigns; it recorded 26,000 new voter registrations in 2006, and added 12,300 new registrations in 2008 for the California Democratic and Republican primaries. In April 2016, UCSA called for the removal of then-Chancellor of UC Davis, Linda Katehi.
UCSA's governing body is its board of directors, which is chartered to be made up of the external vice presidents of all UC student governments. However, UCSA generally requires each student government to pay dues to maintain voting rights on the board. Thus, student governments may effectively "withdraw" from UCSA by refusing to pay dues. As of March 2016[update], the UCSA board of directors included voting members from the following 17 student governments:
- Associated Students of the University of California (UC Berkeley)
- Graduate Assembly (UC Berkeley)
- Associated Students, UC Davis (previously withdrew in 2006)
- Graduate Student Association of UC Davis
- Associated Students, UC Irvine (previously withdrew in 2014)
- Associated Graduate Students of UC Irvine
- Undergraduate Students Association Council (UCLA)
- Associated Students of UC Merced
- Graduate Student Association of UC Merced
- Associated Students of UC Riverside
- Graduate Student Association of UC Riverside
- Associated Students of UC San Diego
- Graduate and Professional Student Association of UC San Francisco
- Associated Students of UC Santa Barbara
- Graduate Students Association of UC Santa Barbara
- Student Union Assembly (UC Santa Cruz)
- Graduate Student Association of UC Santa Cruz
Non-voting student governments
- Graduate Students Association of UCLA (withdrew in 2008)
- Graduate Student Association of UC San Diego
Student regent selection
Southern and northern regional UC student nominating commissions annually select ten semifinalists for University of California student regent. These semifinalists are then interviewed by the UCSA board of directors. The board chooses three applicants, who are then interviewed by a special Regents' committee. The committee then recommends a nominee to the full board of University of California Regents.
- African Black Coalition
- California State Student Association
- National Association of Graduate-Professional Students
- Student Senate for California Community Colleges
- United States Student Association
- "Charter of the University of California Student Association" (PDF). University of California Student Association. Retrieved 2016-03-18.
- "UC Student Regents". University of California Student Association. Archived from the original on 2013-11-11. Retrieved 2016-03-18.
- Jacoby, Pat (2007-05-17). "Marco Murillo, New President of UC San Diego Students, Credits Preuss School With Opening Scholastic Perspectives" (Press release). University of California, San Diego University Communications. Retrieved 2009-02-11.
- Schevitz, Tanya; Fagan, Kevin; Yi, Matthew (2008-04-22). "Nearly 2,000 protest college spending cuts". SFGate. Retrieved 2008-04-23.
- Avila, Theresa (2008-05-15). "Fee hike leads to protests". The Daily Bruin. Archived from the original on July 25, 2008. Retrieved 2009-02-10.
- Miran, Aria (2008-01-18). "Regents To Postpone Increase in Student Costs". The Daily Nexus. Archived from the original on March 23, 2008. Retrieved 2009-02-10.
- Jacobson, Jennifer (2003-09-19). "Students Sue States Over Tuition Increases but Face an Uphill Battle". The Chronicle of Higher Education. Archived from the original on 2003-09-19. Retrieved 2009-02-11.
- "THE REGENTS OF THE UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA MEETING AS A COMMITTEE OF THE WHOLE" (PDF). Retrieved 2016-05-17.
- Galio, Katalina (2008-01-23). "12,300 UC Students Registered in Time for Primary". The Daily Californian. Retrieved 2009-02-10.
- Stanton, Sam (2016-04-16). "UC Student Association calls for Katehi's resignation or firing". Sacramento Bee. Retrieved 2016-09-06.
- Chan, Melissa (2016-04-17). "Student Association Calls for UC Davis Chancellor to Resign Amid Controversy". TIME.com. Retrieved 2016-09-06.
- "Student group demands UC Davis chancellor's resignation over image scrubbing". FoxNews.com. 2016-04-17. Retrieved 2016-09-06.
- Parvini, Sarah; Vives, Ruben (2016-04-16). "Calls for UC Davis chancellor's ouster grow amid Internet scrubbing controversy". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2016-09-06.
- Fang, Alex (2016-04-18). "UC Student Association demands resignation of UC Davis Chancellor Linda Katehi". The Daily Californian. Retrieved 2016-09-06.
- Wolf, Ali (2016-04-18). "UC Student Association Calls for Chancellor Katehi to Step Down During Annual Lobby Day". Fox 40 News. Retrieved 2016-09-06.
- "Student Board". University of California Student Association. Retrieved 2016-03-18.
- Von Kaenel, Camille (2014-04-01). "UCLA graduate government considers rejoining UCSA". The Daily Bruin. Retrieved 2016-03-18.
- Menendez, Sarah S. (2014-03-04). "UCI Leaves UCSA". New University. Retrieved 2016-03-18.