University of California student regent
|Student regent of the University of California|
Seal of the University of California
|Member of||Regents of the University of California|
|Nominator||University of California Student Association Board of Directors|
Regents' Special Committee to Select a Student Regent
Student government nominating commissions
|Appointer||Regents of the University of California|
|Term length||One year|
(Preceded by approx. one-year term as Regent-designate)
|Constituting instrument||Constitution of California|
|First holder||Carol Mock|
|Deputy||University of California Student Regent-designate|
|Salary||Two-year full tuition waiver or scholarship|
The student regent is a position on the University of California Board of Regents created by a 1974 California ballot proposition to represent University of California (UC) students on the university system's governing board. It is required by the California Constitution. Student regents serve an approximately one-year term as 'student regent-designate', followed by a one-year term as a full voting member of the Regents. The 2018-2019 student regent is Devon Graves, a UCLA graduate student , and the student regent-designate is Hayley Weddle, a UCSD graduate student.
Virtually any UC student in good academic standing may apply to be student regent. Southern and northern regional UC student nominating commissions annually select ten semifinalists from those who apply. These semifinalists are then interviewed by the University of California Student Association (UCSA) board of directors. The board chooses three applicants, who are then interviewed by the Regents’ Special Committee to Select a Student Regent. The Regents may reject the list of finalists. The committee then recommends a nominee to the full board of University of California Regents, which then votes on the nominee. Once approved, the nominee becomes 'student regent-designate', shadowing the student regent for approximately one academic year until the beginning of their formal, year-long term on July 1 of the next year. Traditionally, the position alternates between undergraduate and graduate students as well as between the various UC campuses. However, some students involved in the selection process have said that it may be biased towards graduate students as well as students from UCLA and UC Berkeley, traditionally considered the flagship campuses of the UC system.
This section needs expansion with: early history. You can help by adding to it. (November 2015)
In May 2011, student regent Jesse Cheng resigned after being arrested for allegedly committing sexual battery against a UCLA graduate student. Cheng was found responsible for "unwanted touching" by UC Irvine's student conduct office, but the Orange County District Attorney declined to file charges against him. The student regent-designate at the time, Alfredo Mireles, was appointed voting student regent after Cheng's resignation.
In 2013, the nomination of Sadia Saifuddin, the first Muslim student regent, was criticized by pro-Israel and conservative entities, such as StandWithUs and David Horowitz, due to Saifuddin's past support for disinvestment from Israel. In the final vote to appoint Saifuddin, only Regent Richard C. Blum abstained from voting in favor. Regent Norman Pattiz was not present at the time of the vote. During June 2013, student regent Jonathan Stein was a member of the Regents committee that selected Janet Napolitano to be nominated and presented to the full Board of Regents for a confirmation vote.
In 2014, the appointment of Saifuddin's successor, Avi Oved, was opposed by students and student groups, including Students for Justice in Palestine, due to conflict of interest and transparency concerns. The Daily Californian reported that when running for an elected student government position at UCLA, Oved received campaign donations from Israeli-American businessman Adam Milstein that were secretly routed through Hillel's UCLA chapter. Oved and his supporters responded that UCLA's student government election regulations did not require disclosure of donors, and that the opposition was motivated by anti-Semitism. The UC Student Association nominating committee voted to delay its nomination of Oved in order to fully investigate, but the Board of Regents rejected the delay and voted to appoint Oved, with only Saifuddin voting in opposition.
In January 2016, Oved and his successor, Marcela Ramirez, attended costly Regents' dinners paid for by university funds. The dinners were criticized by state legislative leaders, government watchdog groups, student government leaders, and students at large. The dinners appeared to violate university policy, and after The San Francisco Chronicle publicly reported the dinners' existence and funding, university leaders said they would no longer pay for the dinners.
In May 2016, UC Berkeley Law student Paul Monge Rodriguez was nominated to be student regent for the 2017-2018 academic year. Monge previously criticized Berkeley's discipline of then-law dean Sujit Choudhry for sexual harassment, calling it a "slap on the wrist".
List of student regents
|No.||Student regent||Term as regent||Campus||Student status during term||Major or field of study during term|
|1||Carol Mock||1975–1976||Santa Barbara||senior||political science|
|3||Michael S. Salerno||1977–1978||Davis||graduate||law|
|4||Renee Turkell||1978–1979||Los Angeles||senior||English|
|5||Hector C. Lozano||1979–1980||Davis||senior||sociology|
|6||Leslie K. Lurie||1980–1981||Los Angeles||junior||political science/communications|
|7||David A. Neuman||1981–1982||Los Angeles||junior||communications studies|
|8||Linda Rae Sabo||1982–1983||San Diego||senior||philosophy|
|9||Richard Anderson||1983–1984||Los Angeles||graduate||psychology|
|10||Fred N. Gaines||1984–1985||Berkeley||graduate||law|
|11||Janice C. Eberly||1985–1986||Davis||junior||agricultural economics|
|12||David B. Hoffman||1986–1987||Los Angeles||sophomore||political science|
|13||Jacquelyn Ross||1987–1988||Davis||senior||applied behavioral science|
|16||Jenny Doh||1990–1991||Irvine||senior||political science|
|17||Diana Darnell||1991–1992||San Francisco||graduate||anatomy|
|19||Darby Morrisroe||1993–1994||Davis||senior||political science|
|23||Kathryn McClymond||1997–1998||Santa Barbara||graduate||religious studies|
|24||Max R. Espinoza||1998–1999||Los Angeles||senior||political science/Chicano studies|
|25||Michelle K. Pannor||1999–2000||Berkeley||senior||conservation resources|
|26||Justin W. Fong||2000–2001||Los Angeles||graduate||public policy|
|27||Tracy M. Davis||2001–2002||Los Angeles||graduate||higher education and organizational change|
|30||Jodi Anderson||2004–2005||Los Angeles||graduate||higher education|
|32||María Ledesma||2006–2007||Los Angeles||graduate||higher education|
|34||D’Artagnan Scorza||2008–2009||Los Angeles||graduate||education studies|
|35||Jesse Bernal||2009–2010||Santa Barbara||graduate||education studies|
|36||Jesse Cheng||2010–2011 May (resigned)||Irvine||undergraduate|
|37||Alfredo Mireles Jr.||2011 May – 2012||San Francisco||graduate|
|41||Abraham "Avi" Oved||2015–2016||Los Angeles||undergraduate||economics|
|42||Marcela Ramirez||2016-2017||Riverside||graduate||higher education administration and policy|
|43||Paul Monge Rodriguez||2017-2018||Berkeley||graduate||law|
|44||Devon Graves||2018-2019||Los Angeles||graduate||higher education|
|45||Haley Weddle||2019-2020||San Diego||graduate||higher education|
|46||Jamaal Muwwakkil||2020-2021||Santa Barbara||graduate||Linguistics|
- "Regents Policy 1202: Policy on Appointment of Student Regent". Regents of the University of California. Retrieved 2016-03-18.
- "Student Regent". Regents of the University of California. Retrieved 2016-03-18.
- Kelly, Devin (2011-05-16). "Student regent Jesse Cheng resigns". The Daily Bruin. Retrieved 2016-03-18.
- "2017-2018 Student Regent of the University of California Application Form" (PDF). Retrieved 2016-05-05.
- Park, Jeong (2014-07-28). "Recent UC student regents hail primarily from flagship campuses". The Daily Bruin. Archived from the original on 2014-10-22. Retrieved 2016-03-18.
- Chinoy, Sahil (2015-05-13). "Representative or Trustee? The complex history of the UC Student Regent". The Daily Californian. Archived from the original on 2015-05-17. Retrieved 2016-03-18.
- Moore, Solomon (1999-02-23). "Woodland Hills Student Named to Seat as UC Regent". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2016-05-18.
- Yang, Sarah (1999-03-22). "Speaking Up, Not Out, for Student Rights". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2016-05-18.
- Mathews, Jay (1985-09-20). "California university panel backs nuclear arms research". The Washington Post. Retrieved 2016-03-18.
- "UC Renews Pacts on Nuclear Arms Research for U.S." The Los Angeles Times. 1987-09-19. Retrieved 2016-03-18.
- McNary, Dave (1990-09-21). "UC moves toward renewing nuke lab pacts". UPI. Retrieved 2016-03-18.
- Morrison, Patt (2014-12-10). "Column: UC's Muslim student regent tackles Bill Maher, tuition and more". The Los Angeles Times.
- Coker, Matt (2011-05-16). "[BREAKING:] Jesse Cheng, UC Student Regent, Resigns". OC Weekly.
- Coker, Matt (2011-02-21). "[UPDATED] Jesse Cheng, UC Student Regent, Was Arrested for Alleged Sexual Battery on Female Student in His Apartment Near UCI, DA Didn't File Charges". OC Weekly.
- Lee, Traci Garling; Gao, David (2011-02-15). "Student Regent Under Investigation [Updated: Feb. 16]". New University. Archived from the original on 2015-04-10. Retrieved 2016-03-23.
- Leff, Lisa (2013-07-17). "UC Student Regent Nominee Sadia Saifuddin Draws Rare Ire From Conservatives". The Huffington Post. Archived from the original on 2013-07-21.
- Gordon, Larry (2013-07-17). "First Muslim student regent approved by UC board". The Los Angeles Times.
- The Times Editorial Board (2013-07-19). "The next UC student regent". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2016-05-18.
- "THE REGENTS OF THE UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, July 17-18, 2013" (PDF). Regents of the University of California. Retrieved 2016-05-18.
- Pattiz, Norman (2013-07-23). "Letters: Questions for the next UC student regent". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2016-05-18.
- Gordon, Larry (2014-06-16). "UC appoints Jewish student regent amid controversy". The Los Angeles Times.
- Hunt, Chloe (2014-07-03). "Funds to UCLA student political party came from outside sources, leaked emails show". The Daily Californian.
- Kadifa, George; Pacheco, Jorge (2014-07-16). "A Question of Transparency, Legality, and Accountability". The Daily Californian.
- Abbott, Katy (2014-07-01). "Student regent-designate nominee criticizes allegations of wrongdoing". The Daily Californian.
- Li, Anna (2014-07-16). "UC Board of Regents confirms Avi Oved as student regent-designate". The Daily Californian.
- Navid, Marium; Jagadeesan, Viveka; Kurwa, Rahim (2014-07-14). "Avi Oved is not our student regent". The Daily Californian.
- Gordon, Larry (2014-05-22). "UCLA student leader active in Jewish groups nominated as regent". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2017-05-16.
- Gutierrez, Melody; Asimov, Nanette (2017-05-28). "Regents throw parties at UC's expense". San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved 2017-05-30.
- Holt, Lauren (2017-05-29). "UC Regents Held $17,600 Party the Night Before Raising Tuition, Have Spent $225,000 on Parties Since 2012". UCSD Guardian. Retrieved 2017-05-30.
- Asimov, Nanette; Gutierrez, Melody (2017-05-29). "UC reverses policy, won't pick up tab for regents' parties". San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved 2017-05-30.
- Goldberg, Nolan (2016-05-18). "UC Board of Regents special committee nominates new student regent". The Daily Californian. Retrieved 2016-05-19.
- "UC student regent nominated for 2017-18" (Press release). University of California Office of the President. 2016-05-18. Retrieved 2016-05-19.
- Murphy, Katy (2016-05-18). "UC Berkeley law student nominated to serve on board of regents". The Mercury News. Retrieved 2016-05-19.
- Asimov, Nanette (2016-05-10). "UC Berkeley law dean Choudhry resigns amid harassment scandal". San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved 2016-05-19.
- "UC Student Regents, 1975-present". University of California Office of the President. Archived from the original on 2014-01-11. Retrieved 2016-03-18.
- "Alumni and Student Honors". UCLA. Archived from the original on 2016-03-06. Retrieved 2016-03-18.
- Lovekin, Kris (2015-06-02). "UC Riverside Grad Student Nominated as Student Regent for University of California". UCR Today (Press release). University of California, Riverside. Archived from the original on 2015-06-15. Retrieved 2016-03-18.
- Lee, Bobby (2017-07-03). "Regents appoint 1st ever student adviser, nominate new student regent". The Daily Californian. Retrieved 2018-05-22.
- "Regent-designate Devon Graves". Regents of the University of California. Retrieved 2018-05-22.
- Student Regent at the Board of Regents website
- University of California Regents Policy 1202: Policy on Appointment of Student Regent
- "Representative or Trustee? The Complex History of the UC Student Regent" at The Daily Californian