University of Cape Verde
Universidade de Cabo Verde
Sciencia via est|
Knowledge is the Way
|Established||November 21, 2006|
|Address||Av. Santo Antão, Praia, Cape Verde|
The University of Cape Verde (Portuguese: Universidade de Cabo Verde) is a Cape Verdean university. The university is maintained by the Ministry of High Education, Science and Innovation. The main campus is in Palmarejo, Praia on Avenida Santo Antão, an area named after the country's main geographical features along with places.
The base of higher education in Cape Verde was first done on June 28, 1979 with the Escola de Formação de Professores (EFPES), it was formed by teachers who lectured in a secondary school, in 1982, it had teachers in a basic portion. In 1995, EFPAS was replaced with the High Education Institute (ISE).
- ISE (Instituto Superior de Educação, High Educational Institute) located in Palmarejo, Praia, created under the decree-law 54/95 of October 2, 1995
- ISECMAR (Instituto Superior de Engenharias e Ciências do Mar, High Institute of Marine Engineering and Sciences) in Mindelo, created under the decree-law 40/96, of October 21, 1996
- INAG (Instituto Nacional de Administração e Gestão, National Administration and Management Institute), in Achada Santo António, Praia, created under the resolution of 24/98, signed under the decree-law 40/96 of October 21, 1998
In 2007, a third school officially joined the others:
- INIDA (Instituto Nacionai de Investigação e Desenvolvimento Agrário) in São Jorge dos Órgãos
On November 20, 2006, the Council of Ministries made a law numbered 53 of 2006 creating the country's first university and a public one. A part of the improvements and teachers were done by Brazilian universities.
All four institutions fully became associated with the University of Cape Verde with a specified judicial figure in the first year after the university was created. Under the law-decree no. 29/2008 on October 9, ISE, ISECMAR and INAG were eliminated, it fully became part of the university.
In 2010, the university took part in an international conference titled Cidade Velha and African World Culture, the Future Has Passed II (Cidade Velha e a Cultura Afro-Mundo, O Futuro do Passado II) hosted by UNESCO that took place at the S. Francisco (St. Francis) Convent in Cidade Velha west of Praia as the year was the Year of History, it took place from 31 May to 2 June.
In 2014, both the university and the Camões Institute of Lisbon, Portugal created Eugénio Tavares Chair of the Portuguese language in order to boost research of teaching of Portuguese in Cape Verde.
On January 31, 2014, three candidates ran for rector. It was the first time in Cape Verdean history that a university rector would be directly chosen by the student body, faculty members as well as by the staff. Of the three candidates that vied for the position, Dr Judite de Nascimento overwhelmingly won the election and became the first elected university rector and first female rector.
Once the country's only University, other universities in the country include the University of Santiago de Cabo Verde whose main campus is based in Assomada and the University of Mindelo-São Vicente in Mindelo.
About the University
The University of Cape Verde has five campuses:
- Faculty of Social Sciences, Humanities and Arts are located on the Santiago island at Palmarejo (main campus);
- Faculties of Science and Technology and Social Sciences, Humanities and Arts is located on the island of São Vicente at Mindelo;
- Old Gil Eanes Lyceum Campus - Rua Franz Fanon, Mindelo
- School of Business and Government is located in the neighborhood of Achada Santo António, Praia;
- School of Agricultural Sciences and Environment is located in the municipality of São Jorge dos Órgãos;
- School of Maritime Sciences is located on the island of São Vicente at Ribeira Julião.
- Palmarejo Grande campus - under construction
The largest university in Cape Verde offers 41 bachelor's degrees, 19 master's degrees (including a medical degree), 20 associate's (technical) degrees, and 4 doctoral degrees.
The university's rector building is in the Plateau of Praia, the city center, located in the middle of the north end of Avenida Andrade Corvo next to Rua Dr. António Loreno (formerly Visconde de São Januário), east of Praça António Loreno (ex-Luis de Camões), sometimes it forms the east part of it.
Recently construction of the Uni-CV's university city in Praia in Palmarejo Grande is being planned; it is mostly funded by China. Construction began somewhere in November.. Construction began in 2017, it will have the capacity of 4,890 students and 476 professors, 61 halls, 5 auditoriums with a capacity of 150 seats, other information halls, eight lecture halls, 34 laboratories, multi-use halls with a capacity of 654 students seats, dorms, library and a sports pavilion.
|António Leão de Aguiar Correia e Silva||November 22, 2006 - June 15, 2011||Instituto Superior de Educação||Presidential Elevation|
|Paulino Lima Fortes||June 15, 2011 - February 24, 2014||School of Maritime Sciences||Presidential Elevation|
|Judite da Encarnação Medina do Nascimento||since February 24, 2014||Faculty of Science and Technology||Rectorial elections|
- Mário Lúcio, singer and Minister of Culture, in 1982
- Georgina Mello, in 2004, she later became the director general of CPLP, the Lusophony countries.
- Silvino Lopes Évora (university professor on the course of journalism since 2016) - journalist, writer and poet
- João Lopes Filho - anthropologist
- Lourenço Gomes Ph.D, historian, one of the Board of Directors of the Antonio de Noli Academic Society
- Manuel Veiga, linguist
- Maria Baptista Soares - sociologist
For the city of Praia, the university is accessed with public transport with its bus stops by the university. Two transit lines passes near the university often or sometimes, they include:
- Palmarejo - Plateau – Achada Grande
- Palmarejo – Plateau – Eugénio Lima
One planned bus stop will include:
- São Pedro – Terra Branca Circle – Sucupira – Palmarejo Grande (Uni-Piaget) – Cidadela
For the city of Mindelo, it serves with one or two of São Vicente's Transcor route, now became the only islandwide transit system in the nation.
- Maria Baptista Soares, Fragmentos - Sociedade Marginal. University of Cape Verde, Praia, 1995.
- Maria Baptista Soares, Metamorfóses do Habitat. Caminho, University of Évora/University of Cape Verde, Évora/Praia, 2003.
- Maria Elizabeth Lucas and Sergio Baptista da Silva (dir.), Ensaios etnográficos na ilha de Santiago de Cabo Verde : processos identitários na contemporaneidade (Ethnographic Essays on the Island of Santiago, Cape Verde), together with Editora da UFRGS, Porto Alegre, 2009
- Jean Piaget University of Cape Verde
- University of Santiago, Cape Verde - the nation's second university located both in Assomada and in Praia, opened in 2009
- University of Mindelo or São Vicente - located in Mindelo on the island of São Vicente - it is also the university for the Barlavento Islands
- "Facts and Numbers" (in Portuguese). University of Cape Verde.
- Construindo o Futuro: Como é que o Ensino Superior Pode Contribuir Para a Agenda de Transformação Económica e Social de Cabo Verde (in Portuguese). World Bank. May 2012. p. 92.
- Varela, Bartholomew (2013). A evolução do ensino superior público em Cabo Verde: da criação do Curso de Formação de Professores do Ensino Secundário à instalação da Universidade Pública (in Portuguese). Praia: Uni-CV Publications.
- Decree-Law no. 29/2008 (PDF). 36. Republic of Cape Verde. 9 October 2008.
- "Universidades do Pará e de Cabo Verde querem reforçar cooperação" (in Portuguese). Portugal Digital.
- "Missão de pesquisadores de Cabo Verde visita a UFPA" (in Portuguese). UFPA.
- "UFPA Professor on a Mission at the University of Cape Verde" (in Portuguese). University of Cape Verde.
- "Inauguração da Cátedra Eugénio Tavares de lingua portuguesa" (in Portuguese). Camões Institute.
- "Eleições na academia: Uni-CV elege Reitor a 31 de Janeiro" [Academic Elections: Uni-CV (UCV) Elected a Rector on 31 January]. Expresso das Ilhas (in Portuguese). 1 February 2014.
- "Empossamento da Reitora da Uni-CV, Doutora Judite Nascimento" (in Portuguese). Portal UniCV. 31 January 2014.
- Spínola, Carlos Jorge Rodrigues. Educação Superior Em Cabo Verde [High Education in Cape Verde] (PDF) (in Portuguese). PUC-RS, Brazil.
- "China financia projecto de Campus Universitário da Uni-CV" [China Finances a University Campus Project of Uni-CV] (in Portuguese). Página Oficial do Governo de Cabo Verde. 23 December 2015. Retrieved 1 June 2017.
- ""Construir o Campus Universitário na Praia é uma prioridade"". A Semana Online (in Portuguese). 28 October 2014. Retrieved 1 June 2017.
- Lusa (20 June 2017). "Novo campus da Universidade de Cabo Verde com capacidade para 5 mil alunos" ("New Campus at the University of Cape Verde (Uni-CV) With a Capacity of 5,000 Students"). Diário de Notícias (in Portuguese), accessed 7 March 2018
- "Reitor da Uni-CV toma posse hoje" [Rector of Uni-CV Established Today]. A Semana (in Portuguese). 22 November 2006. Retrieved 22 December 2016.
- "Debaixo de polémica, novo reitor da UniCV é empossado" [Polemical Debate, New Rector was Imposed] (in Portuguese). RTC - Rádio Televisão de Cabo Verde. 2015.
- "Associação cabo-verdiana de Lisboa: João Lopes Filho apresenta livro "Percursos & Destinos"»". SAPO CV (in Portuguese). 22 December 2011. Retrieved 18 February 2017.
- http://www.asemana.publ.cv/spip.php/mes_squelettes/img/spip.php?article94283&ak=1 (in Portuguese)
- Official website (in Portuguese)