University of Cartagena
||This college or university article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia guidelines for college and university articles. (August 2009)|
|Universidad de Cartagena|
|Motto||Siempre a la altura de los tiempos|
|Location||Cartagena, Bolívar, Colombia|
|Colors||Black and Gold|
|Affiliations||ASCUN, AUIP, SUE|
The University of Cartagena (Spanish: Universidad de Cartagena), also called Unicartagena, is a public, departmental, coeducational, research university based primarily in the city of Cartagena, Bolívar, Colombia. The university offers education at undergraduate and postgraduate levels, which includes 2 doctorates.
The university is member of the Association of Colombian Universities (ASCUN), the Iberoamerican Association of Postgraduate Universities (AUIP), and the State University System (Spanish: Sistema Universitario Estatal, SUE).On March 26, 2014, the University of Cartagena, received from the Ministry of Education Institutional Accreditation of High Quality becoming the first and only public university in the Caribbean region with this type of accreditation.
In 1826, General Francisco de Paula Santander decree cleared the way for the creation of a university in the Caribbean Region of Colombia and was chosen to host Cartagena de Indias. On October 6, 1827 the Liberator Simon Bolivar formalized, thus was born the University of Magdalena and the Isthmus, because at that time Panama was part of Colombia. Subsequently, due to changes in territorial and political type, and University of Central Magdalena became the University of Cartagena in the Cloister of St. Augustine, then had only two undergraduate: Law and Medicine.
In the 1950s of the twentieth century, officially adopting the current shield University. In 1989 he inaugurated the Health Campus, which moved the faculties of Medicine, Nursing, Dentistry and Pharmaceutical Chemistry and in 2001 he moved to Stone Bolivar Campus Faculty of Science and Engineering and in 2003 he moved to the same venue the faculty of Economics.
In 1993 he established distance learning through the Regional Centers for Distance Education (CREAD). The U of C has programs in the municipalities of Simiti, South Santa Rosa, Carmen de Bolivar, San Estanislao, Turbaco, Carmen de Bolivar, and San Marcos Magangué.
- Faculty of Economic Sciences: Economics, Business, Industrial Management, and Accounting.
- Faculty of Humanities: Philosophy, History, Linguistics and Literature.
- Faculty of Engineering: Civil Engineering, Food Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Systems Engineering.
- Faculty of Social Sciences: Social Communication, Social Work, Foreign Languages.
- Faculty of Natural Sciences: Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry, Metrology.
- Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences: Pharmaceutical Chemistry
- Faculty of Law and Political Science: Law
- School of Nursing: Nursing
- School of Medicine: Medicine
- School of Dentistry: Dentistry
- School of Languages
Nursing, Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics, Education, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Environmental Sciences, Environmental Engineering, Biochemistry, Clinical Toxicology, Microbiology, Pharmacology, Clinical Epidemiology and Immunology, Philosophy.
The University of Cartagena offers other graduate programs that do not meet the range of expertise and therefore do not give access to any PhD ( in Colombia to these types of programs are called specializations) . Specializations [edit · edit code ] Economics : Tourism Administration, Finance, Management in Taxation, Health Management, Quality Management and Auditing in Health Management, International Trade and Industrial Development, Management Management, Statutory Auditor . Law and Political Science : Criminal Science and Criminology, Conciliation, Arbitration and Dispute Resolution, Family Law, Social Security . Medicine : Anesthesiology, General Surgery, Gynaecology – Obstetrics, Internal Medicine, Neurosurgery, Orthopedics and Traumatology, Pathology, Pediatrics, Psychiatry, Radiology, Urology . Nursing : Family and Community Health, Occupational Health . Engineering : Project Management Construction, Sanitary and Environmental Engineering, Land routes, Traffic and Transport Planning . Dentistry : Endodontics, Stomatology and Oral Surgery, Pediatric Dentistry and Jaw Orthopedics, Orthodontics . Natural Sciences : Advanced Mathematics . Social Sciences : Social Coexistence and Conflict, Family Social Processes . Specializations distance agreement with other houses of study : Management Projects, Management of Educational Institutions, Teaching of Children's Literature .
Moreover, Cartagena University also offers distance learning programs through the Regional Centre for Distance Education – CREAD -most professional technical and technological 1.5 to 3 years ( known in the English-speaking world as Associate degree ) .
Regional Centre for Distance Education – CREAD -
Technology in Aquaculture Production Process Monitoring, Processing Technology and Conservation of Aquatic and Fishery Products, Professional Technical Concentrates for Fish Processing and Minor Species, Aquaculture Production Professional Technical, Professional Technical Processing Aquaculture and Fishery Products, Technical Professional food, food Technology, Agro- Technical Professional, Agro- Technologist, Financial Management, professional Technical Processes Public Management, Technology in Public Administration, Public Administration, Technical professional tourist Operation, Technology in Tourism Management, professional Technical production of agricultural products, Management Technology in Organic Agriculture, Business Administration, Systems Engineering, Technology Management Transport Travel Agencies and Tourism, Bachelor of Computing and Virtual Media, Technical Professional Ecotourism and Adventure Tourism, Technical Professional Food Services, Technology in Hotel Management, Tourism and Hotel Management, professional Technical Guidance and Recreation Services, Technology Onboard Service, Regional Centre for Distance Education – CREAD – in agreement with other houses of study: Bachelor of Computing, Bachelor of Early Childhood Education, Bachelor of Basic Education Emphasis on Castilian, Occupational Health .
- Zaragocilla Campus (Health Sciences): Medicine, Nursing, Dentistry, and Pharmaceutical Chemistry Regional Centre for Distance Education-CREAD.
- Piedra de Bolívar Campus (Engineering and Economic Sciences): Business, Industrial Management, Accounting, Economics, Civil Engineering, Food Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Systems Engineering, Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics and Industrial Metrology
- Cloister of St. Augustine Campus (Main Campus): Law, Philosophy, History, Linguistics and Literature, Social Communication and Social Work.
- Cloister of La Merced Campus (Historic town): Postgraduate Center and Vice-President's for Research Office.
Immunologic Research Institute. International Institute of Caribbean Studies. Institute of Water and Environmental Sanitation (IHSA).
- Rafael Núñez – Lawyer, president of Colombia .
- Justo Arosemena – One of the promoters of the Panamanian nationality .
- Manuel Amador Guerrero -Surgeon , promoted and achieved separation of Panama from Colombia and was the first president of the Republic of Panama .
- Judith Pinedo Flórez -Lawyer first and only woman elected mayor of greater Cartagena .
- Carlos Villalba Bustillo -Lawyer, judge, historian , rector of the university and writer .
- Miguel Raad Hernández -Lawyer, governor of Department of Bolívar .
- Jorge Mendoza Diago – civil engineer and governor of Bolivar
- Alberto Bernal – Odontologist and governor of Bolivar.
- Juan Carlos Gossaín – Lawyer and governor of Bolivar.
Literature and Journalism
- Gabriel García Márquez -(Undergraduate) Nobel Prize for Literature, 1982 .
- Luis Carlos López -(Undergraduate) postmodernist poet , diplomat and journalist.
- Rómulo Bustos – Lawyer, poet, winner of the National Poetry Prize of National Institute of Culture (now Ministry of Culture of Colombia) 1993 .
- John Jairo Junieles Lawyer, poet,winner of the National Literature Prize in 2002 City of Bogota , the International Poetry Prize City of Alajuela (Costa Rica) in 2005 , and the X International Poetry Prize in 2007 Nicolas Guillen
- Orlando Echeverri Benedetti -Writer and journalist , graduated from Philosophy . National Award winner Idartes novel in 2014 with the book " Sin Freno Equivocada the Path " .
- Juan Carlos Urango -Writer , linguist, editor , journalist and cultural researcher . Honorable mention in the Spanish American Essay Contest IV " René Uribe Ferrer" (2007 ) ; District winner Poetry Contest Cartagena de Indias (2006 ) . Winner of the national competition documentary " Colombian Court" ( 2012) organized by the National Commission on Television , Channel Zoom and the University of North .
- Martín Salas Ávila – Lawyer , poet and director of International Poetry Festival of Cartagena de Indias
- Juan Andrés Fonseca -Social communicator , marketing manager and marketing of major companies .
- Alfonso Múnera Cavadía – Historian , researcher and ambassador .