University of Central Florida Board of Trustees
The University of Central Florida Board of Trustees is the governing body of the University of Central Florida, a space-grant university located on a 1,415-acre (5.73 km2) main campus in Orlando, Florida, United States. UCF is a member institution of the State University System of Florida and is the largest public university in the United States.
The Board of Trustees is the governing body of UCF, setting policy for the university, and serving as UCF's legal owner and final authority. Overall, the Board of Trustees hold the institution's resources in trust, is responsible for selection of the university president and administrators, and are responsible for university resources and for implementing the rules and policies of the Florida Board of Governors.
The University of Central Florida Board of Trustees was founded in 2001, after the Florida Board of Regents – the governing body of the state university system – was abolished by an act of the Florida state legislature. The Board of Regents was responsible "for adopting systemwide rules and policies; planning for the future needs of the State University System; planning the programmatic, financial and physical development of the system; reviewing and evaluating the instructional, research, and service programs at the universities; coordinating program development among the universities; and monitoring the fiscal performance of the universities." After the dissolution of the Board of Regents, the powers held by the Regents were then awarded to independent, appointed university Boards of Trustees.
Governor Jeb Bush appointed the first twelve charter trustees, who took office on June 22, 2001. In an effort led by United States Senator Bob Graham, the Florida Constitution was amended in 2003 to create a new statewide governing body for the State University System of Florida. The Amendment created the Florida Board of Governors, which oversees the state university system, and has veto and confirmation powers over the Board of Trustees.
The Board consists of thirteen members, six members that are appointed by the Governor of Florida and five members that are selected by the Florida Board of Governors. The Chair of the Faculty Senate and the President of the Student Government also serve as trustees during their terms. Trustees serve staggered 5-year terms. The current Chair of the Board is Olga Calvet, who took office in 2013.
|Olga Calvet||Chair, Senior Vice President and Chief Financial Officer of Palmas, Inc.|
|John Sprouls||Vice Chair, Chief Executive Officer of Universal Orlando and Executive Vice President of Universal Parks and Resorts|
|Jim Atchison||Member, President and Chief Executive Officer of SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment|
|Weston Bayes||Member, Student Body President|
|Clarence H. Brown III||Member, Former President and Chief Executive Officer of MD Anderson Cancer Center Orlando|
|Richard Crotty||Member, Former Mayor of Orange County, Florida|
|Alan Florez||Member, Executive Vice President of Risk Management Associates for Brown & Brown Insurance|
|Robert Garvy||Member, Chairman and Co-Chief Executive Officer of INTECH|
|Ray Gilley||Member, Chief Executive Officer of Solodev|
|Marcos Marchena||Member, Vice Chair of the UCF Foundation, Inc.|
|Alex Martins||Member, Chief Executive Officer of the Orlando Magic|
|Reid Oetjen||Member, Chair of the Faculty Senate|
|Beverly Seay||Member, Vice President and General Manager of CAE’s Integrated Enterprise Solutions division|
- Education in Florida
- Florida Board of Governors
- State University System of Florida
- University of Central Florida Student Government
- "University of Central Florida Board of Trustees - Fourth Amended and Restated Bylaws" (PDF). University of Central Florida. Retrieved 2011-04-17.
- "State University System of Florida : Board of Governors : University Boards of Trustees". Florida Board of Governors. Retrieved 2012-04-09.
- "University of Central Florida Board of Trustees Term History" (PDF). University of Central Florida. Retrieved 2012-04-09.
- "Universities Urged To Chart Own Course". Orlando Sentinel. 2001-07-13. Retrieved 2012-04-09.
- "Justia : Florida Code : 240.209 Board of Regents; powers and duties : Part II State University System (ss. 240.2011-240.2996)". Justia. Retrieved 2012-04-09.
- "Florida university oversight board's role being re-evaluated". Tampa Bay Online. 2012-02-16. Retrieved 2012-04-09.
- "UCF BOT - Member Biography: Olga Calvet". University of Central Florida. Retrieved 2013-09-27.
- "UCF BOT - The Board". University of Central Florida. Retrieved 2011-08-30.