University of Chittagong
Seal of the University of Chittagong
|Established||18 November 1966|
|Chancellor||President of Bangladesh Abdul Hamid|
|Vice-Chancellor||Iftekhar Uddin Chowdhury|
|311 (Male 277, Female 34)|
(Male 15,598, Female 8,685)
|Campus||Rural, 1,754 acres (7.10 km2)|
|Affiliations||University Grants Commission
Association of Commonwealth Universities
The University of Chittagong (Chittagong University, Bengali: চট্টগ্রাম বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়, CU in short) is a public, multidisciplinary, research university located in Hathazari Upazila, Chittagong District, Bangladesh. The university was established in 1966. It is one of the largest universities by campus area in Bangladesh, and has approximately 22,000 students and 750 faculty members.
|University of Chittagong at a glance|
|Location||Zobra village, Hathajari upazila, Chittagong
22 kilometre from Chittagong city
|Area||1,754-acre (7.10 km2)|
|Undergrad||BA, MA, BEd, BSc, MSc, MS, BBA, MBA, LLB, LLM, MEd, BSS, MSS, M.B.B.S. B.U.M.S|
|Postgrad||M.Phil., PhD, M.D., M.P.H|
|Types||Male:6, Female:3, Coed:1|
|Other Staff||Officer:296, 3rd Class Staff:478, 4th Class Staff:1180|
- 1 Location
- 2 History
- 3 Institutes
- 4 Facilities
- 5 Campus
- 6 Notable people
- 7 Gallery
- 8 See also
- 9 References
- 10 External links
The university opened on 18 November 1966 with Master of Arts program classes for 200 students in the Departments of Bengali, English, History, and Economics. The Departments of Medicine, Engineering, Law, and Education were later incorporated as separate departments in colleges outside the university.
List of Vice-Chancellors
Following is the complete list of the Vice-chancellors.
- A R Mallick (01.10.1966 to 31 January 1972)
- U. N. Siddiqui (Acting V.C.) (21 April 1971 to 30 January 1972)
- M Innas Ali (01.02.1972 to 18 April 1973)
- Abul Fazal (19 April 1973 to 27 November 1975)
- Abdul Karim (28 November 1975 to 18 April 1981)
- M. A. Aziz Khan (19 April 1981 to 18 April 1985)
- Mohammad Ali (19 April 1985 to 22 May 1988)
- Alamgir Muhammad Serajuddin (23 May 1988 to 29 December 1991)
- Rafiqul Islam Chowdhury (30 December 1991 to 6 November 1996)
- Abdul Mannan (06.11.1996 to 13 February 2001)
- Md. Fazle Hossain (14 February 2001 to 2 February 2002)
- A. J. M. Nuruddin Chowdhury (2 February 2002 to 2 February 2006)
- Badiul Alam (8 February 2006 to 24 February 2009)
- Abu Yousuf (25 February 2009 to 28 November 2010)
- Md. Alauddin (Acting V.C.) (09.12.2010 to 14 June 2011)
- Anwarul Azim Arif (15 June 2011 to 14 June 2015)
- Iftekhar Uddin Chowdhury (15 June 2015 to present)
- Institute of Law
- Institute of Marine Sciences and Fisheries
- Institute of Forestry and Environmental Sciences
- Institutes of Fine Arts.
- Institute of Modern Languages (IML)
- Social Science Research Institute
- Institute of Educational Research & Training
- Center for Business Studies
The Chittagong University Library is situated on the university campus, and since 1990, has been housed in its own building of 56,700 square feet. The library is managed by a 14-member Library Committee. The library collection consists of about 350,000 books and over 40,000 bound journals.
Chittagong University Museum
The Chittagong University Museum was established on 14 June 1973. The museum started with a collection of artifacts from the History Department. It collected fossils from Nasirabad hills. The museum build up a collection of historical artifacts and painting.
Monuments and sculptures
- Jamal Nazrul Islam, theoretical physicist and mathematician. Ex-Professor, Mathematics Department. Ex-Professor Emeritus and founding Director of Research Center for Mathematics and Physical Sciences (RCMPS).
- Muhammad Yunus, founder of Grameen Bank, 2006 winner of Nobel Prize in peace. Former professor of Economics Department; initiated a microcredit program in the adjacent area of Jobra.
- Abdul Mannan, Chairman, University Grants Commission of Bangladesh. Ex-Professor, Management Department.
- Abdus Salam, the 1979 recipient of the Nobel Prize in Physics (Doctor of Science, 1981)
- Jamal Nazrul Islam, a physicist, mathematician, astronomer and cosmologist (Doctor of Science, 2008)
- "University of Chittagong at a Glance". cu.ac.bd. University of Chittagong. Retrieved 8 January 2016.
- "Chittagong University". hathazari.chittagong.gov.bd (in Bengali). Hathazari: hathazari.chittagong.gov.bd. Retrieved 8 January 2016.
- Fayezul Azim (January 2003). "University of Chittagong". In Sirajul Islam; Amirul Islam Chowdhury (online). Banglapedia (Online). Bangladesh: Asiatic Society of Bangladesh. ISBN 984-32-0576-6. Retrieved April 24, 2017.
- "Faculty of the University of Chittagong". University of Chittagong. Retrieved 28 September 2014.
- Administrator. "List of Vice-Chancellor and Pro-Vice-Chancellor". Retrieved 16 June 2015.
- "Details of the University of Chittagong". University of Chittagong. 8 July 2012. Retrieved 11 March 2014.
- "Vice-Chancellors". University of Chittagong. Retrieved 7 July 2016.
- Administrator. "About Central Library". Retrieved 16 June 2015.
- Hossain, Shamsul. "Chittagong University Museum". en.banglapedia.org. Banglapedia. Retrieved 2017-12-03.
- "Treasures of Chittagong University Museum". The Daily Star. 2016-07-17. Retrieved 2017-12-03.
- সাফাত জামিল শুভ (October 9, 2015). "চট্টগ্রাম বিশ্ববিদ্যালয় প্রাকৃতিক সৌন্দর্যের লীলাভূমি" (in Bengali). ournewsbd. Retrieved November 13, 2015.
- "University of Chittagong". Retrieved 16 June 2015.
- "PriyoShop.com – Online shopping in Bangladesh". Retrieved 16 June 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to University of Chittagong.|