University of Engineering and Technology, Taxila
|Motto||Nation needs professionals with knowledge, skill, innovation and commitment.|
|Chancellor||Malik Muhammad Rafique Rajwana (Governor of Punjab)|
Dr. Niaz Ahmad Akhtar
|Location||Taxila, Punjab, Pakistan|
|Colours||White and grey|
|Nickname||UET, UET TAXILA, UETT|
|Affiliations||Pakistan Engineering Council, Higher Education Commission|
University of Engineering and Technology, Taxila, or UET Taxila (Urdu: یونیورسٹی آف انجینیئرنگ اینڈ ٹیکنالوجی ، ٹیکسلا) is located at Taxila, Punjab, Pakistan. It was established in 1975 as a campus of University of Engineering and Technology, Lahore and chartered as an independent university in 1993, offering Bachelor, Master, and Doctoral degrees in disciplines in Engineering.
It offers degrees in nine engineering studies: Computer, Telecom, Software, Electrical, Electronics, Civil, Industrial, Environmental and Mechanical for all degree level and Engineering Management at Master and Doctorate level at the main campus, and Mechatronics and Electronics at the subcampus of Chakwal. It is located near the historical site of Julian University, an ancient Buddhist university.
There are some remnants of the ancient civilization of Taxila around the main campus. This includes the Jandial tempal(Right next to the gate#1), The city of sirkap, Bhir Mound, the ruins of the stupa at Dharmarajika, the monastery at Jaulian, the monastery at Mohra Muradu in addition to a number of stupas.
Taxila Museum is three kilometers from the campus.
- 1 History
- 2 Location
- 3 Campuses and affiliated institutes
- 4 Library
- 5 Taxila Institute of Transportation Engineering
- 6 Admissions
- 7 Profile of the University faculties
- 8 Centers of Excellence
- 9 Sports
- 10 Student societies
- 11 Alumni Association
- 12 Health Facilities
- 13 Transport
- 14 Campus network
- 15 Hostels
- 16 Central mosque
- 17 Ranking
- 18 See also
- 19 References
- 20 External links
With the increase in student enrollment in the 1970s, additional campuses of the University of Engineering and Technology, Lahore were built, including the University College of Engineering Taxila, in 1975. For three years it functioned at Sahiwal. In 1978 it was shifted to its permanent location at Taxila. The college continued its working under the administrative control of the University of Engineering and Technology, Lahore till October 1993. During this month it received its charter as an independent university under the University of Engineering and Technology Taxila Ordinance 1993. Enrollment of undergraduate and postgraduate students is about 3000.
The university has gone through construction and development. This includes the construction of the computer and software department, central library, a bypass road that leads to museum road, girls hostel, foreign faculty house, Ali hall, vice chancellor's house, extensions of the academic blocks, construction of central mosque, abubakkar hall, cafeteria, and construction of stands for the sports stadium and a multi purpose hall.
The university campus is located on the outskirts of Taxila, 5 km from the city. It is situated near railway station Mohra Shah Wali Shah on Taxila-Havelian branch line. The city of Taxila is 35 km from the twin cities of Islamabad and Rawalpindi and 6 km from Rawalpindi–Peshawar highway. The university buses commute daily between the campus and the cities of Islamabad, Rawalpindi, Wah and Hasan Abdal. The campus covers an area of 109 acres (0.44 km2) and houses the teaching departments, residential colony for teachers and employees, students' hostels, guest house, post office, dispensary and bank.
The computer, software and telecommunication programmes have been offered in 2001, 2002 and 2007 respectively. The Computer Department and library have just completed.
Four hostels including separate girls' hostel have been built. The electrical and mechanical blocks have been extended. An electronics program was launched in 2010.
Campuses and affiliated institutes
Almost thirty years after the establishment of the main campus, the first campus of UET Taxila at Chakwal started functioning in 2005. UET Taxila is planning a campus at Pind Dadan Khan in Jhelum District.
Institutes affiliated with the University are:
- CASE - Center for Advanced Studies in Engineering, Sir Syed Memorial Building,19-Attaturk Avenue, G-5/1, Islamabad.
- KICSIT - Dr. A. Q. Khan Institute of Computer Sciences and Information Technology, KRL Kahuta, Dist. Rawalpindi.
- HITEC University Taxila Cantt
- SS-CARE School of Engineering (SCSE) 
- Swedish College of Engineering and Technology(Wah Cantt Campus)
- Army Public College of Management and Sciences (APCOMS), Rawalpindi
The Central Library has a seating capacity for 100 readers in its halls. The reading halls remain open (two shifts) from 8:00 am to 7:00 pm on all working days, with a break for Jumma prayer 12:00 noon to 2:30 pm. The library is stocked with encyclopedias, dictionaries, handbooks, standard specifications, yearbooks, almanacs, abstracts, indexes and a big reserve collection of text and general technical books.
The library houses a Book Bank, which lends textbooks to the undergraduates for long periods on a nominal rent. Books, which are in excess of the requirements of the Book Bank, are sold to the students on a no-profit no-loss basis through its Co-operative Bookstore.
To meet the information requirements of students and researchers with the provision of quality scholarly information-based electronic delivery through the Pakistan Educational Research Network (PERN), HEC has given online access of journals and research papers to UET Taxila. Access to all these resources is free from within the UET Taxila intranet for students and researchers of the University.
Taxila Institute of Transportation Engineering
The Department of electrical Engineering has established an institute by the name of "Taxila Institute of Transportation Engineering (TITE)". Taxila Institute of Transportation Engineering will provide education and research facilities in the field of transportation engineering. TITE mission is to develop and implement innovative methods, materials, and technologies for improving transportation efficiency, safety, and reliability, while improving the learning and innovative environment of M.Sc and Ph.D. students, faculty, and staff in transportation-related areas.
To assist the Highway Engineers, Material Engineers and Laboratory Technicians, Taxila institute of Transportation Engineering at CED, UET Taxila has launched short courses to enhance the professional’s competency. These courses are:
- Highway Material Engineer
- Highway Material Technician
After completion of higher secondary school level (HSSC) education, a student can submit his application for undergraduate admission if it fulfills the minimum requirements. Students with a minimum percentage(60%) in HSSC exams with core subjects of Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and English are allowed to appear in the admission test organized by the UETs and other institutions often called Engineering University and College Admission Test(EUCAT).
After the admission test, merit lists are prepared allowing the students who secured good results in both HSSC and EUCAT to get the opportunity to study in the institutions. For admission to M.S. and Ph. D. programs candidates appear in interviews and/or written tests.
There are some seats reserved for foreign students in undergraduate level and there is also a good percentage of seats reserved for areas other than Punjab. The qualification for admission is H.S.S.C. or GCE A level or its equivalent with good grades in Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry.
Profile of the University faculties
UET Taxila offers Bachelors, Masters and in various disciplines under the following faculties:
Faculty of Electronic and Electrical Engineering
- Department of Electrical Engineering
- Department of Electronics Engineering (At Taxila campus)
- Department of Electronics Engineering (At Chakwal campus)
Faculty of Mechanical and Aeronautical Engineering
- Department of Mechanical Engineering
The Department of Mechanical Engineering is situated in the main campus at Taxila. The Department is equipped with state of the art laboratory facilities along with all the necessary teaching aids. The department has its strengths in Thermal-Fluid Sciences and Manufacturing Engineering. Research work is being carried out at graduate level in the form of full-time MS and PhD programs. Moreover, the faculty routinely involves undergraduate students in research work. The Department also boasts state of the art computational systems which can be used for Computational Fluid Dynamics or Computational Mechanics Research.
- Department of Mechatronics Engineering (At Chakwal campus)
- Department of Aeronautical Engineering (Future Programme)
Faculty of Telecommunication and Information Engineering
- Department of Computer Engineering
- Department of Software Engineering
- Department of Telecommunication Engineering
Faculty of Environmental Engineering
- Department of Environmental Engineering
This Department is newly established in 2010 Recognised by HEC & PEC. Environmental engineers utilize biological and chemical principles to come up with solutions to environmental problems. Some of the issues they address include pollution (air and water), public health, waste disposal and recycling issues. Environmental engineers conduct harmful waste management training where they evaluate the danger find and give solutions to the containment and treatment of the waste as well as develop methods and regulations to prevent such issues.
- In Future MSc & PHD programs will start
Faculty of Industrial Engineering
It has the following departments under it
- Department of Industrial Engineering
- Department of Engineering Economic and Management (Future Programme)
Faculty of Basic Sciences and Humanities
- Department of Basic Sciences
The department was established in 1975 as a part of the University College of Engineering, Taxila and is as old as the institution itself. With the inception as an independent University in October, 1993, the department has been placed under the Faculty of Basic Sciences and Humanities.
The department offers courses in Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Economics, Statistics, Islamic Studies, Pakistan Studies, Ethics and English. Mathematics is an essential pre- requisite and pivotal element for various fields of engineering and other sciences. In fact it plays a key-role for the comprehension of any subject of engineering and physical sciences. A practical engineer needs an adequate knowledge of modern mathematics to successfully cope with the complex real world problems. Therefore, all the degree programs offered by different engineering departments of the university have courses in Applied Mathematics, Statistics and Numerical Analysis.
The courses offered in the subjects of Applied Physics and Chemistry are very essential for forming the base of the engineering subjects. Also the essential practical work in these subjects is carried out as a support to the immense forthcoming engineering practical work. The curricula of Physics and Chemistry including the recent development are constituted so as to meet the pre-requisites of the engineering subjects. The contents of the courses are regularly revised so as to keep abreast of the fast progress occurring in the various engineering faculties.
Appropriate courses in Islamic Studies have also been constituted to be taught to the Muslim students of all engineering faculties. The purpose is to enlighten the soul and mind of the students and enable them to get appraisal of tenets of Islam so that they may perform their duties with integrity and diligence when the future responsibilities of serving the nation will be bestowed upon them.
In 1982 the Government of Pakistan also emphasized the need to teach the subject of Pakistan Studies to all students at degree level. The main purpose of this subject is to make the students to be acquainted with the ideology of Pakistan. The Non-Muslim students are offered subject of Ethics as well.
It is an established fact that English is an international language, so proficiency in English language is required to compete with the modern world. Different courses are offered in different departments to enhance student’s English language skills for professional purposes. Effective communication skills include everything from facial expression to visual literacy, from anxiety management to verbal skills, from body language to document presentation. Students can become more effective communicators by cultivating competency through these courses. These courses include Technical Report Writing as well which enhances students to write well in professional life.
In future language lab will be established in the department so that students could practice listening and speaking skills. This project of language lab will be helpful to provide students an environment where they can practice language. Along with language lab, the department is planning to start spoken English courses in summers, especially IELTS and TOFEL for University students who want to go abroad for higher studies.
Centers of Excellence
NARC (Network Administration and Research Center)
The NARC Research section provides information about the research areas in NARC. Student Projects link will show the student projects and Collaborations will give information about industry linkages and training programmes.
It provides training on new technology and trends. A few areas of training are core switches, routers, optical fiber, structure cabling and network management.
Main services provided by NARC are:
- Design and planning of university networks
- Installation and setup of server farms
- Maintenance and deployment of domain level services
- Procurement of equipment to fulfill the requirements of the university
- Introduction of technologies and market trends to the students and staff
- Automation of existing processes
- Bandwidth distribution planning and equipment commissioning
- Management of firewalls and intrusion prevention
- End users software and hardware support
Video and Image Processing Laboratory
The laboratory was established with the funding by HEC to facilitate research in the area of image and video processing.
Center of Excellence for ASIC Design and DSP
The Center of Excellence for ASIC Design and DSP is equipped with more than 7 million US$ software tools for chip design, simulation, PCB design. Test and measurement equipments for advanced testing and verification are also available. With a mission to introduce newest technologies in the ASIC and DSP field, the center provides design and research facilities to Ph.D., M.Sc and undergrad students. Workshops and training courses are arranged.
Centre of Excellence for ASIC Design and DSP is equipped with facilities to cater for undergraduate teaching and demonstrations, for graduate and post graduate/Doctoral research .
A student common room is provided in each of the hostels with facilities for indoor games such as basketball, shooting ball, squash, table tennis, badminton and cairum board. Outdoor games include cricket, hockey, volleyball and football. Other sports available are boxing, karate, athletics and body building.
The university holds a sports gala week every year. Apart from that, students weeks also hold sports event every year and department of software engineering also conducts a cricket tournament on annual basis.
Engineering and non-technical societies on the university campus include:
- Quaid-e-Azam Debating Society(QDS), one of the oldest societies, aims to polish student's art of public speaking.It has earned several distinctions.
- ACM Chapter UET Taxila, being an internationally recognised society and famous for its learning centre and digital library has opened its student chapter in UET Taxila and progressing by leaps and bounds. The chapter has been introduced in 2015 by a group of 8 from Telecommunication and Computer Engineering department.
- Environment protection society(EPS) helping university in increasing awareness and plantation in the campus.
- IEEE STUDENT BRANCH UET TAXILA IEEE-UET Taxila is a source of technical and professional information, research resources, technology advancements and network opportunities.
- ASME UET Taxila Chapter(ASME UET Taxila) is the first Internationally affiliated (from ASME International )technical society of the University. It has been the most active Society of the University since it was founded, and has won many distinctions and awards for the institute
- ASHRAE UET Taxila Chapter(ASHRAE UET Taxila) is an Internationally recognized Technical society of Mechanical Engineering Department.
- IMechE UET Taxila Chapter(IMechE UET Taxila) it was founded by Engr. Faisal Qayyum in 2012, and is IMechE UK, affiliated Student Chapter. It aims to provide Leadership and technical expertise for the students of Mechanical Engineering Department.
- IIE UET Taxila Chapter(IIE UET Taxila) it was founded by Saadoon Atif in 2013, and is IIE USA, affiliated Student Chapter. It aims to provide Leadership and technical expertise for the students of Industrial Engineering Department.
The students are popularly referred to as a TAXILIANS or UETians.
The Alumni Association of UET Taxila is a link between UET Taxila graduates and University. The Alumni Association's mission is "to encourage, in partnership with the University, a lifelong relationship between alumni association and their university". The Association, a separate society being established under the society Act, makes its home at UET Taxila campus.
The university provides medical facilities to its employees and students. The dispensary helps students with their physical health problems with doctors available round the clock. Students are provided free consultation by the Medical Officer. Medicines are issued to students free of charge. A night dispensary service is available in emergency, with free ambulance service, in case of acute emergency, any time.
All departments and hostels are networked on 100 Mbit/s Ethernet, and connected through a fiber link. Outdoors are covered by Wifi at 54 Mbit/s. The campus connects to the internet through a high-speed link provided by the Pakistan Telecommunication Company. The university uses the HEC digital library program and connects to the Scopus network for its e-library requirements.
University campus has the following hostels:
- Quad-e-Azam hall
- Iqbal hall
- Ali hall
- Umar hall
- Usman hall
- Ayesha hall
- Abubakkar hall
Besides many small mosques throughout the campus there is a central one (Jamia) also known as Masjid Bilal. It has a capacity of 700 worshippers.
- Vice Chancellor UET Taxila
- "About - University of Engineering and Technology Taxila". Uettaxila.edu.pk. Retrieved 2011-03-27.
- PD Khan Campus
- Affiliated Institutes
- Dr.A.Q Khan institute of computer sciences and information technology
- "Affiliation - University of Engineering and Technology Taxilan". Web.uettaxila.edu.pk. Retrieved 2011-03-27.
- UET Facilities
- Undergraduate Prospectus - Entry 2010 - page 16
- "Electronics - University of Engineering and Technology Taxila". Web.uettaxila.edu.pk. Retrieved 2011-03-27.
- "Mechatronics - University of Engineering and Technology Taxila". Web.uettaxila.edu.pk. Retrieved 2011-03-27.
- "Network Administration and Research Center". Web.uettaxila.edu.pk. Retrieved 2011-03-27.
- "ASIC UET Taxila". Web.uettaxila.edu.pk. Retrieved 2011-03-27.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to University of Engineering and Technology, Taxila.|
- University of Engineering and Technology, Taxila
- UET Taxila Admissions
- Digital Library UET Taxila
- Taxila Institute of Transportation Engineering (TITE)
- Center for Advanced Studies in Engineering, Islamabad
- HIT Education City
- SS-CARE School of Engineering