University of Galați
This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Universitatea „Dunărea de Jos” din Galați
|Latin: Universitas Galatiensis|
|Motto||Your Career, Our Priority!|
|Rector||Iulian Gabriel Bîrsan|
The University of Galați, as it was named at first, was founded in July 1974 by merging the Polytechnical Institute and the College of Education. The Polytechnical Institute of Galați had at its origins the Naval and Mechanical Engineering Institute which has been founded in 1951. In 1953, the Institute of Fish Breeding and Fishing Technology located in the city of Constanța merged with the Naval Institute of Galați under the name of Technical Institute of Galați.
In 1955, the Institute for Food Industry of Bucharest was also transferred at Galați. This higher education institutions was to become in 1957 the Polytechnical Institute of Galați. The College of Education, founded in 1959 consisted of five faculties: Languages, Mathematics, Physics-Chemistry, Natural Sciences and Sports. The two higher education institutions, the Polytechnical Institute and the College of Education, merged in 1974 and formed the University of Galați. In 1991, the University was renamed "Dunărea de Jos" ("Lower Danube") University, after the historical name of the area around the city of Galați.
The University of Galați consists of twelve faculties and two colleges with more than thirty departments. It has several unique fields of education in the country, such as: Naval Engineering and Fishery. During the years, specialists covering a wide range of education fields have been trained at the University of Galați:
- Programmers and Computer System Designers.
New university programmes has been developed in the last years: Management in Industry, Finances and Credit, International Economics Relations, Administration and Technical Informatics. Post-graduation courses for engineers and training courses for the teachers of the pre-university level are organised every year.
The University of Galați organises programs for the doctoral degree and master's degree in the technical fields of chemistry, physics, mathematics, economy, food technology and fishing, automatic control and computation techniques, artificial intelligence. The University of Galați is also providing programs for the doctoral degree in the field of social and humanistic sciences.
The university has 14 faculties, one cross–border faculty, and one department:
- Faculty of Engineering
- Faculty of Computer Science
- Faculty of Automation, Computer Sciences, Electronics and Electrical Engineering
- Faculty of Naval Architecture
- Faculty of Food Science and Engineering
- Faculty of Engineering and Agronomy in Brăila
- Faculty of Sciences and Environment
- Faculty of Letters
- Faculty of Physical Education and Sport
- Faculty of Economic and Business Administration
- Faculty of Social, Political and Legal Sciences
- Faculty of Medicine and Pharmacy
- Faculty of History, Philosophy and Theology
- Faculty of Arts
- Cross–border Faculty of Humanities, Economic and Engineering Sciences, in collaboration with State University of Cahul - Republic of Moldova
- Department of Teacher Training
- "Raport anual al rectorului" (PDF) (in Romanian). April 2016.
- Universitatea din Cahul şi nevoia de specialişti în Sudul Moldovei (in Romanian)
- University of Galați Website (in English)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Universitatea Dunarea de Jos.|