University of Health Sciences (Antigua)
|Motto||Deo et Patriae|
Motto in English
|God and Country|
|Chairman||Deborah Akande, DDS, C.Dir|
|Provost||Manuel Flores, MD|
The University of Health Sciences Antigua (UHSA) is a private, for-profit medical school located in Dowhill near Falmouth, Antigua, in the Caribbean. UHSA confers upon its graduates the Doctor of Medicine (MD) degree.
UHSA was established in 1982 and began instruction in 1983. The Dowhill campus is located about 12 miles (19 km) from the capital city of St. John's. Formerly a NASA tracking station, the university is located on a 50-acre (200,000 m2) area within the Historical National Park area of English Harbour.
The Doctor of Medicine program at UHSA is a four-year course of study that consists of two semesters per calendar year. Semesters 1–4 are basic sciences semesters that are completed at the university's Antigua campus. The remainder of the program consists of clinical clerkships at affiliated hospitals in the United States, Puerto Rico, the United Kingdom, and China.
UHSA is recognised by the Government of Antigua and Barbuda. Because of this recognition, the university is listed in the FAIMER International Medical Education Directory (IMED). It is also listed in the AVICENNA Directory for medicine.
In the United States, the medical boards of the following states have listed UHSA as an institution whose graduates are ineligible for licensure:
- International medical graduate
- List of medical schools in the Caribbean
- List of universities in Antigua and Barbuda
- "Bat's Cave, Antigua". Retrieved 17 August 2011.
- "UHSA Affiliated Hospitals". UHSA School of Medicine. Retrieved 18 August 2012.
- Government of Antigua and Barbuda. "Antigua and Barbuda Government Directory". Archived from the original on 27 September 2007. Retrieved 5 September 2006.
- "Medical Board of California – International Medical Schools Disapproved by the State of California". mbc.ca.gov. Retrieved 19 June 2015.
- "PLA: Approved/Disapproved Foreign Medical Schools". in.gov. Retrieved 8 September 2011.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 28 December 2012. Retrieved 24 January 2013.
- "Oral surgeons bite at offshore MD degree". AMA. Retrieved 20 August 2012.
- "North Dakota Board of Medical Examiners – Disapproved Medical Schools" (PDF). ndbomex.com. 23 June 2008. Retrieved 8 September 2011.