University of Houston student housing
Fifteen percent of University of Houston students live on campus. UH has several on campus dormitories: Moody Towers, The Quadrangle, Cougar Village I, Cougar Village II, Cougar Place, and Calhoun Lofts. UH also has partnerships with three private complexes, Bayou Oaks, Cullen Oaks, and Cambridge Oaks.
Moody Towers, frequently just called "The Towers," is one of the tallest complexes on campus and the largest area of residence halls. Each of the two towers consists of eighteen stories and together house 1,100 students. The Towers feature a newly renovated state of the art dining hall. The rooms in The Towers were scheduled to be renovated during the summer of 2011.
The Quadrangle, also known as "The Quad," is the oldest housing area on campus and consists of several coed dorm halls: Bates, Law, Oberholtzer, Settegast, and Taub. Oberholtzer Hall features a smaller, albeit cozy dining hall. The Quadrangle houses 800 students. The rooms in The Quads were scheduled to be renovated during the summer of 2011.
Cougar Village I is a freshman/Honors College dorm which opened in August 2010. The dormitory features themed floors with kitchens and lounges, a tutoring center, computer labs, multi-purpose rooms, study areas, a convenience store, a laundry facility, and a fitness center. Cougar Village I is exclusive only to freshman and Honor College students.
In addition to Cougar Village I, the University of Houston has authorized the construction of a second freshman and honors only housing complex, Cougar Village II. Cougar Village II is slated for a Fall 2013 opening.
In conjunction with traditional dormitories, UH has an apartment-style dormitory called Cougar Place that is a housing area consisting of 400 units. Cougar Place will soon be removed during the summer of 2011 making way for a new dorm to replace it.
In August 2009 Calhoun Lofts—a new university-owned and operated residential facility aimed at graduate and professional students—opened and includes retail stores, lecture halls, and recreation facilities.
UH also has several privately owned apartment complexes on campus that are Cullen Oaks, Bayou Oaks, and Cambridge Oaks.
Cambridge Oaks, the designated family housing complex for University of Houston students, opened in 1990. Campus Living Villages owns and operates the facility. It houses over 600 students from UH and other area institutions. The complex has 210 units. Century Development had developed Cambridge Oaks. Students from the University of Houston, the University of Houston–Downtown, Texas Southern University, and Houston Community College are eligible to live in Cambridge Oaks.
Cambridge Oaks is served by the Houston Independent School District. The zoned schools are Lockhart Elementary School, Cullen Middle School, and Yates High School. Previously it was served by Ryan Middle School.
- Emery, Mike (2007-08-06). "Regents to Vote on New Parking Garage". UH Office of Internal Communications. Archived from the original on August 18, 2007. Retrieved 2008-04-07.
- "UNIVERSITY OF HOUSTON SYSTEM HOUSING INITIATIVE." University of Houston. page "UH Housing Inventory". Retrieved on October 4, 2011.
- "Housing Areas". UH Residential Life & Housing. Archived from the original on September 8, 2007. Retrieved 2007-10-01.
- "Student Lofts". UH Division of Student Affairs. Retrieved 2007-10-01.
- Santos, Annette. "Additional student housing under construction". The Daily Cougar. The Daily Cougar / UH. Retrieved 21 March 2013.
- Home page. Cullen Oaks. Retrieved on October 4, 2011.
- Home page. Bayou Oaks. Retrieved on October 4, 2011.
- "On-Campus Housing and Communities." University of Houston. Retrieved on August 15, 2011. "Housing Campus Map"
- "about us." Cambridge Oaks. Retrieved on October 4, 2011.
- Bivins, Ralph. "Apartment complex buyer plans $2 million renovation/Developer begins building new, 180-unit complex at TSU." Houston Chronicle. Sunday January 6, 1991. Retrieved on October 4, 2011.
- "faq." Cambridge Oaks. Retrieved on October 4, 2011.
- "how to contact us." Cambridge Oaks. Retrieved on August 15, 2011. "Village address Cambridge Oaks 4444 Cullen Boulevard Houston, TX 77004"
- Lockhart Elementary School Attendance Zone," Houston Independent School District. Retrieved on December 31, 2016.
- Cullen Middle School Attendance Zone," Houston Independent School District. Retrieved on Retrieved on December 31, 2016.
- Yates High School Attendance Zone," Houston Independent School District. Retrieved on December 31, 2016.
- "Ryan Middle Attendance Zone." Houston Independent School District. Retrieved on August 15, 2011.