University of Ioannina
Seal of the University of Ioannina
(Sceptre finial, probably from a status of Zeus)
|Established||1964 – School of Philosophy
1970 – became independent from the Aristotle University
|Vice-Chancellor||Triantafyllos A. D. Albanis Thomas Bakas Andreas Fotopoulos|
|Location||Ioannina, Epirus, Greece|
|Affiliations||Balkan Universities Network EASN|
The University of Ioannina (UoI; Greek: Πανεπιστήμιο Ιωαννίνων, Panepistimio Ioanninon) is a university located 5 km southwest of Ioannina, Greece. The university was founded in 1964, as a charter of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki and became an independent university in 1970.
As of 2014, there is a student population of 15,000 enrolled at the university (11,000 at the undergraduate level and 3,500 at the postgraduate level) and 580 faculty members, while teaching is further supplemented by 171 Teaching Fellows and 132 Technical Laboratory staff. The university Administrative Services are staffed with 420 employees.
- 1 Campus
- 2 Schools and departments
- 3 Academic excellence and rankings
- 4 Research institutes
- 5 University Library and Information Centre
- 6 Student numbers
- 7 Erasmus programme
- 8 See also
- 9 References
- 10 External links
The campus is located 6 km from the centre of Ioannina and is one of the largest university campuses in Greece. It is linked to the town by Greek National Road 5 and can be reached from the city either by public transportation or by car.
It covers an area of almost 850 acres (3.4 km2) with many green open spaces which surround the four main building complexes.
The buildings cover an area of 170,000 m2, consisting of lecture halls, offices, laboratories, libraries, amphitheaters, etc. Large classes are held in auditoriums, while scientific meetings and exhibitions are held in the Conference Centre located in the Medical Sciences complex.
Two buildings accommodate the Student Residence Halls, both being close to the Student Union building; a multi-purpose building that houses the student restaurant and a large Hall of Ceremonies together with "Phegos"; a restaurant where the academic community and visitors can eat or celebrate special occasions, such as the graduation day.
One of the most attractive places of the campus is the old Monastery of Dourouti, an 18th-century building, which is being renovated to serve as a guest house for visitors to the university.
Schools and departments
- School of Philosophy
- School of Sciences
- School of Education
- School of Health Sciences
- School of Economics and Social Sciences
- Department of Economics
- School of Fine Arts
- Department of Plastic Arts and Art Sciences
Academic excellence and rankings
According to 2010 rankings published in Springer's journal Scientometrics, the Physics department at the University of Ioannina is ranked #2 in Greece, the Material Science department #3, and the Chemistry department #4.
According to the 2014 and 2015 Leiden rankings, the University of Ioannina is ranked #2 overall in Greece (#1 in Medical Sciences, #1 in Math, #1 in Computer Science and Engineering, #2 in Natural Sciences, #2 in Life Sciences, #3 in Earth and Environmental Sciences).
State academic evaluation
An external evaluation of all academic departments in Greek universities was conducted by the Hellenic Quality Assurance and Accreditation Agency (HQAA). The following Ioannina departments have been evaluated:
- Department of Physics (2010) 
- Department of Mathematics (2011) 
- Department of Chemistry (2011) 
- Department of Computer Science and Engineering (2011) 
- Department of Materials Science and Engineering (2011) 
- Department of Biological Applications and Technologies (2011) 
- Department of Medicine (2013) 
- Department of Primary School Education (2013) 
- Department of Pre-School Education (2013) 
- Department of Plilosophy, Education & Archaeology (2013) 
- Department of Philology (2014) 
- Department of History and Archaeology (2014) 
- Department of Economics (2014) 
- Department of Plastic Arts and Arts Sciences (2014) 
Ioannina Biomedical Research Institute
The Biomedical Research Institute (BRI) was founded in 1998. It operated as an autonomous institute until 2001, under the name Ioannina Biomedical Research Institute (IBRI).
From September 2001, the institute was merged with the Foundation for Research and Technology-Hellas (FORTH), and its new name is Foundation for Research and Technology-Hellas/Biomedical Research Institute.
BRI has three research directions: Molecular Medicine, Biomedical Technology, and Molecular Epidemiology. In order to fulfill the research aims the institute has established collaborations with the Medical School of the University of Ioannina, as well as with other departments of the university, the University Hospital, and the other institutes of FORTH.
Institute of Transportation & Telecommunications
The University of Ioannina has allied with the regional local authorities and industrial partners to establish an Institute of Transportation & Telecommunication in Igoumenitsa. The institute expertise in transportation and telecommunication will be concentrated on research, consultancy and regional development.
University Library and Information Centre
The University of Ioannina has the largest, in terms of effective surface area (14,500 sq. m. divided into six storeys), single library in Greece, which has been named the University of Ioannina Library and Information Centre.
The equipment of the library includes 31 workstations, 504 reading stations, a 120-seat auditorium, an Art Gallery Exhibition Room, a Seminar Room with a seating capacity of 20 people, and 12 carrels.
Users can check availability on the online library catalogue (OPAC) and use photocopying and reservation services. The professionally qualified librarians run training sessions on information handling techniques and assist the users with their enquiries.
Other library services include
- book loans from its own collection or from other libraries in Greece (Interlibrary Loan),
- reading rooms,
- access to international information sources via the Internet,
- access to digitised material of the university,
- access electronic catalogue databases,
- access Greek and foreign library catalogues,
Library users include all members of the academic community of the university and the public. The library website is http://www.lib.uoi.gr.
The library covers the fields of: Medicine, Chemistry, Physics, Biological Applications and Technologies, Materials Science and Engineering, Economics, Computer Science, Plastic Arts and Art Sciences, Primary and Pre-School Education, Philosophy, Education and Psychology.
The Student Collection has multiple copies of books related to the course lectures delivered in all departments.
The library collection has
- scientific books, textbooks, and journals,
- digital and audiovisual material,
- encyclopaedias, dictionaries, and indexes,
- books that can be borrowed by students,
- a collection in Braille, and equipment that can be used by visually impaired people,
- scientific journals and databases of the Hellenic Academic Libraries Link (HEALLINK), which can be accessed via the Internet,
- digitised documents (journal articles, books, etc.) which are produced by the librarians.
The university numbers today more than 15,000 students. Among them there are approximately 11.000 undergraduate students. A number of organised postgraduate study programmes are on offer that combine taught and research elements both at Master's and Doctoral level. Approximately 1.300 students are involved in full-time study mode progressing to a master's degree, while more than 2,200 students are pursuing their studies at Doctoral level.
The Student Refectory provides meals to all undergraduate and postgraduate students on a full-board (breakfast, lunch, dinner) daily basis. The refectory is located on campus and covers an area of 4,500 sq. m.
The Halls house almost 650 students on two sites, while a number of rooms has been adapted for disabled students. All accommodation is mixed, with a number of standard rooms (with shared bathroom facilities) or en suite rooms. The majority of rooms are single study-bedrooms although there are some shared rooms (two or three people).
Certain residences are reserved mainly for exchange students (i.e. Erasmus).
The University of Ioannina has exchange agreements with universities in mainland Europe through the Erasmus programme of the European Commission. The University of Ioannina welcomes foreign students who wish to expand their academic horizons by spending a semester or a year studying in Ioannina.
- Hellenic Statistical Authority (EL.STAT.), Report on Higher Education - Students, Institutes and Faculty Staff (2013/2014), press release, November 2015 (greek)
- "University of Ioannina - History". University of Ioannina. Retrieved 2016-02-03.
- Top 500 (401 to 500) - The Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2011-2016 
- "CWTS Leiden Ranking 2013 - University of Ioannina". Centre for Science and Technology Studies of Leiden University. Retrieved 2016-02-03.
- UniversityRankings.ch (SERI) 2015 - University of Ioannina  Retrieved in 2016-02-03.
- "Ranking Web of Universities". Webometrics.
- "Ranking university departments using the mean h-index". Scientometrics (2010) 82:211–216, Springer.
- "Leiden Ranking 2016: University of Ioannina ranked 2nd in Greece". University of Ioannina. Retrieved 2016-02-03.
- Hellenic Quality Assurance and Accreditation Agency
- HQAA Final Report - Department of Physics, University of Ioannina, 2010
- HQAA Final Report - Department of Mathematics, University of Ioannina, 2011
- HQAA Final Report - Department of Chemistry, University of Ioannina, 2011
- HQAA Final Report - Department of Computer Science and Engineering, University of Ioannina, 2011
- HQAA Final Report - Department of Materials Science and Engineering, University of Ioannina, 2011
- HQAA Final Report - Department of Biological Applications and Technologies, University of Ioannina, 2011
- HQAA Final Report - Department of Medicine, University of Ioannina, 2013
- HQAA Final Report - Department of Primary School Education, University of Ioannina, 2013
- HQAA Final Report - Department of Pre-School Education, University of Ioannina, 2013
- HQAA Final Report - Department of Plilosophy, Education & Archaeology, University of Ioannina, 2013
- HQAA Final Report - Department of Philology, University of Ioannina, 2014
- HQAA Final Report - Department of History and Archaeology, University of Ioannina, 2014
- HQAA Final Report - Department of Economics, University of Ioannina, 2014
- HQAA Final Report - Department of Plastic Arts and Arts Sciences, University of Ioannina, 2014
- University of Ioannina (Greek) (English)
- University Library & Information Centre
- University of Ioannina DASTA Office (Career Office & Innovation Unit) (Greek)
- University of Ioannina - Science and Technology Park (Greek) (English)
- University of Ioannina - "Odyssey" Innovation competition 2012-2013 (Greek)
- University of Ioannina - Science and Technology Park hosted companies (Greek)
- Hellenic Quality Assurance and Accreditation Agency (HQAA) (Greek) (English)
- Department of Physics, HQAA Final Report, 2010 (English)
- Department of Mathematics, HQAA Final Report, 2011 (English)
- Department of Chemistry, HQAA Final Report, 2011 (English)
- Department of Computer Science and Engineering, HQAA Final Report, 2011 (English)
- Department of Biological Applications and Technologies, HQAA Final Report, 2011 (English)
- Department of Materials Science and Engineering, HQAA Final Report, 2011 (English)
- Department of Medicine, HQAA Final Report, 2013 (English)
- Department of Primary School Education, HQAA Final Report, 2013 (English)
- Department of Pre-School Education, HQAA Final Report, 2013 (English)
- Department of Plilosophy, Education and Archaeology, HQAA Final Report, 2013 (English)
- Department of Philology, HQAA Final Report, 2014 (English)
- Department of History and Archaeology, HQAA Final Report, 2014 (English)
- Department of Economics, HQAA Final Report, 2014 (English)
- Department of Plastic Arts and Arts Sciences, HQAA Final Report, 2014 (English)
- Greek Research & Technology Network (GRNET) (Greek) (English)
- okeanos (GRNET's cloud service) (Greek) (English)
- synnefo - Open Source Cloud Software (GRNET) (Greek) (English)